More scratching after flea treatment?

moxie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone experienced this before? I adopted a recently spayed 6 mo. kitten. Kept her in bathroom a week as she had URI and we have another cat. She never scratched herself, but I noticed flea "dirt" on her white bed, so started flea-combing with mild Dawn solution ASAP. Got about 6 fleas over a couple days, so applied Hartz spot flea treatment. Now, no more fleas in comb after 4 consecutive days of looking, no more flea dirt in bed, but kitten is scratching like crazy (suddenly biting at her fur/licking, scratching neck, etc. with hind feet), more than she ever did when she actually had the fleas. Is it possible the buggers are so smart I'm not getting them? Is my combing irritating her skin? Could she be allergic to the flea treatment? I'm paranoid she still has fleas and could be spreading them in the house, but I swear I can't find any evidence...except her scratching. HELP! Please.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please give her a bath in Dawn lotion and warm water immediately and scrub her gently and well to get rid of this toxic product. Hatz is slowly pulling their products off of the shelves because of problems with them. Call your vet-to let him know, and he will tell you what symptoms to watch out for that could be toxic shock. It may not go that far, but it could. Hartz Products are insubstantial and dangerous to use, depending on the age of the cat and how much you used and what strength it was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for this info. I only applied about 1/3 of the drops that were "safe for kittens over 12 weeks" because it seemed like so much that she'd be covered/ wet with the product. I also wiped a lot of it off with a warm washcloth 24 hours later because it was a large oily patch in her coat and I already saw couple dead fleas. I didn't bathe her as she still has stitches from spaying, but I can sponge bathe her shoulder/neck area and avoid her tummy. She hasn't had a terrible reaction as the kitty in your link, (I did this last Thursday), but she is scratching a lot...it's just that the type of scratching she's doing mimics flea-scratching. Hopefully the Dawn bath will take care of any lingering flea/eggs. I have been flea-combing her everyday with very mild Dawn. Thank you. We go to the vet tomorrow to remove stitches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just wondering after reading some other threads here, what's in Dawn that make it good as a flea treatment?