More Pumpkin Recipes

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Just in case anybody is interested. I hope you don't mind.

First of all, my favorite: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies!! Rick says it's not fall until he has a Pumpkin Whoopie Pie. I'll be making them this weekend.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

2-1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp EACH: cinnamon, cloves, ginger, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla
1-1/2 cups, plus 1 Tbsp. canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat brown sugar, oil, and eggs. Add spices, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla and combine thoroughly. Add pumpkin and stir in flour. Drop on lightly greased cookie sheets in rounded 1/2 tablespoons. Bake 10-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.

To make Filling, combine ingredients until smooth. When cookies are cool, put two cookies together with Filling.

Filling for Whoopie Pies

1-1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
16 oz. box confectioners' sugar
8-12 oz. jar Fluff (NOT marshmallow creme!)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together until of desired consistency for a nice, mushy filling. Start out with 8 oz of Fluff, but feel free to add more Fluff if you need to. If you need more confectioners' sugar, you can add that, too, but be careful as you don't really want it too sweet. Use good vanilla with this.

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) real butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 sm. can solid-pack pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp. real vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. allspice (OR 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1-1/2 tsp. ground cloves if you like a bit more spice)
1-1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup walnuts

Thin powdered sugar vanilla glaze

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In your mixing bowl cream together your butter and sugar, then add the eggs, pumpkin and vanilla, blending well. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add this to the pumpkin mixture and mix well. Mix in the oats, coconut and walnuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will rise and have a lightly golden brown edge. I let them cool on wax paper and when all of them are done, I drizzle ribbons of vanilla glaze across the tops. Store in a loosely covered container to keep them moist.

Note: Around here, a small can of pumpkin is about 15 ounces.

Pumpkin Cake III - from Allrecipes.com

2 cups white sugar
1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 x 18-inch pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine sugar and oil. Blend in vanilla and pumpkin, then beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool. Frost with your favorite frosting.

Note: Instead of using all that oil, I used 3/4 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce. I increased the cinnamon to 3 teaspoons and added 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.

Praline Pumpkin Pie

½ recipe Tender Flaky Piecrust (see recipe, below)
15 oz. can solid-pack pumpkin, or 2 c. fresh pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
¼ c. apple butter (optional, but it really adds to the taste)
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
¾ c. light-brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ c. granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1½ tsp. cinnamon
¾ tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. salt
3 large. eggs, slightly beaten
12 oz. can evaporated milk

Praline Topping

¼ c. dark corn syrup
¼ c. light-brown sugar
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly flour your work surface; roll out one disk of dough into a 12 to 13-inch circle. Transfer dough into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Finish edges, and then place pie shell in freezer while you prepare the filling.

In a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, warm together the pumpkin, apple butter, and butter. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugars, flour, spices, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and evaporated milk. Gradually stir the egg mixture into the pumpkin mixture and whisk until thoroughly blended. Pour pumpkin filling into the frozen pie shell and bake 10 minutes. Shield crust with aluminum foil to prevent over browning. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer.

To check for doneness, shake the pie gently. If the center isn’t jiggling, it’s done (do not insert a knife into the pie, which can cause the surface to split). Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool slightly while you make the praline topping.

Combine corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in pecans. Pour topping over the surface of the cooked pie. Cool completely before serving. Yield: 8 servings

Tender Flaky Piecrust

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
6 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
6 Tbsp. shortening, room temperature
3-4 Tbsp. ice water

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and sugar. Cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles baby peas. Sprinkle the water over the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend with a fork. Repeat until the dough is moist enough to come together. Gather the dough into a ball, knead 5 seconds, and then cut into two pieces.

Flatten each piece slightly and shape into a disk. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap; chill 20 minutes. Yield: 2 crusts.

Note: By all means, if you don't like messing with pie dough, let the Pillsbury Dough Boy do the pie dough work!

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

9-inch baked pie shell
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. each: cinnamon and nutmeg
¼ tsp. ginger
2 eggs, separated
½ cup milk
1¼ cups canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
¼ cup sugar
½ cup heavy cream, whipped
½ cup chopped toasted almonds

Combine gelatin, brown sugar, salt, and spices in heavy sauce pan. Stir in slightly beaten egg yolks, milk, and pumpkin. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and chill until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon.

Beat egg whites until foamy; add granulated sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form; do not underbeat. Fold in whipped cream and almonds. Turn into baked pie shell. Chill until pie is firm, about 3 hours. Garnish as desired.

Pumpkin Pecan Pie

Pumpkin Layer

1 egg
1 c. canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Stir together until blended. Spread evenly in the bottom of an unbaked 9-inch shell.

Pecan Layer

2 eggs
2/3 c. corn syrup
2/3 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. melted margarine
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Stir together, then add 1 cup pecans. Spoon carefully over the pumpkin layer. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 60 minutes or until filling is set.

Pumpkin Spiced Cookies

2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (12-ounce package) Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped walnuts
Vanilla Glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 375°. Grease baking sheets or parchment paper.

Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in pumpkin, eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle or spread with Vanilla Glaze.

For the Vanilla Glaze: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl; mix well.

Note: I really think you need the glaze to give a little added oomph to the cookies; they're good without it, but bette with it. Or use a nice cream cheese frosting, maybe with some orange zest mixed in?

If you don't have pumpkin pie spice on hand, try this:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Mix all together and you'll get about 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (it's about 1-5/8 teaspoon or something like that)

Please post your favorite pumpkin recipes. I'm always looking for new ways to use pumpkin.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That all sounds so good! Isn't pumpkin a wonderful thing?

Sadly, I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants cook and rarely measure or write anything down... so here's the closest I can come to reproducing my pumpkin dish, which (in honor of Linus) I call...

The Most Sincere Pumpkin Cake :-)

First, I take some cream cheese and mix it up with a little orange juice and just a touch of sugar, until the consistency is about like a thick milkshake. I don't refrigerate it, because it needs to be soft and shapable.

Then I dump a pound cake mix into a big bowl and stir in some Libby's pumpkin pie filling (not just plain pumpkin, though that would work if you add spices and milk), mixing it well and adding milk if necessary, until the consistency seems right. (I don't put in any of the things the box directions call for -- just the pumpkin pie filling. So this is an egg-free cake!)

Then I butter a bundt pan, pour half the batter in, and carefully build a ring of the orangey cream cheese on top of the batter, not letting it touch the sides of the pan. Then I pour the rest of the batter on top of that and bake -- probably a little longer than the box calls for, because I like a crisp crust on cakes, and because the cream cheese will keep it moist even if it's a little overdone.

When it's VERY cool (because the cream cheese tunnel destabilizes the structure), I turn it out on the serving plate and dust it with powdered sugar. S'wonderful!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh the Pumpkin Spice cookies sound gooood!!

All this pumpkin talk and a pic a friend posted on facebook has me craving some home toasted pumpkin seeds! We don't carve our pumpkins so I don't know how Im going to get any. The friend that did them had seasoned them with some pesto flakes, sea salt and a couple other things. They looked really good! Nothing like fresh toasted seeds still warm from the oven!!