More pix of our guys

elsasmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Gizzmo age 7 years old.  Gizz was a feral and for the first years we couldn't even so much as touch him.  After the first couple of years if he was laying on something such as napping on the dryer, I could place a couple of treats near him as long as I didn't make eye contact with him.  I had read something about feral cats not being able to make eye contact with humans so I began trying that, placing treats near him, going and standing or sitting near him, talking to him, remembering to not make eye contact with him.  And now 7 years later we can pet him, you can't pick him up but you can pet him.  Once when he got a tooth abscess it slowed him down just enough I was able to scruff him, get him into a carrier and to the vet for a dental and doc neutered him while he was there.

This is Oscar age 3 years old and he came from the local shelter.  We had adopted a cat from the local shelter about 9 months ago and when Tank got sick and passed from liver failure, I dreaded that phone call I knew I had to make, letting them know he had passed.  The shelter director began telling me about this guy and would we just consider coming to take a look at him.  Someone had tied a thin piece of rope around one of back legs, tied him to a tree, and then went off and left him there.  By the time someone discovered him and untied him his leg was horribly swollen and there lower part of his leg had become gangrene, and his foot was rotting off.  He was taken to the local shelter and they in turn took him to one of the animal hospitals.  Poor Oscar's leg was so infected and everything was tried in order to save his leg but nothing worked and in order to save his life, his leg had to be amputated.  His leg would be cut back until healthy tissue and bone was found and in the end, his leg was amputated all the way up to where his leg joins on to his body.  Then once the shelter got him over that it was decided to go ahead with the neutering and then try to get him into a home.  Bad luck was not finished with Oscar yet, his neutering became very infected and he was a pretty sick guy for several days.  Finally things began to turn around for him and then we happened into his life. 

For the first week he lived in our bathroom to give him a chance to get used to all the new sounds and smells of our crazy household.  And now Oscar is just one of the bunch, he gets along great with everyone and he flies around here on 3 legs, he is a real sweetheart. 

This is our dog Mr. Bear and he is another shelter adoption.  Poor Bear, he is outnumbered by the cats but he seems to take it in stride.  I have bought him so many dog beds but it seems no matter how many he has, there is always a cat in the one he wants to get into.  Every time we have to go someplace, John swears the cats have him taped up on the ceiling fan using him as a pinata.  He actually seems to get along with everyone pretty well but he draws the line at letting one of the cats get into one of his beds with him in it.  

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow! I've been searching for a Crock-Pot cat recipe! Just kidding. That's such a cute photo! Welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elsasmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanx guys.  I do love talking about my critters.  Not having any children and being home-bound, my critters are a HUGE part of my life, they became my kids; my furry little brats.