Feral Cat Relationships: Some Observations: If I May

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well hopefully I'm past the panic every time they sneeze part and now into the observation part. It's been a struggle. Cats coming and going. My favorite girl and the one who came first is gone (I don't think dead but either at another colony or a home). That makes me sad but I feel that she entrusted Treasure and Sopdet in my care and so I will do what I can to ensure their well being while also making some observations.

One thing I have noticed is the relationship between Treasure and the visiting wildlife. He plays with the groundhogs during the day. He despises the opossum which I don't know why since possums are really gentle. He plays with a red fox kit but stays at a distance from the parents. He'll tolerate the adult raccoons, but the youngsters (kits I think they are called) he will not tolerate and often swats at them. This is one of the observations is that he will swat at the raccoon, and the raccoon will bow his head and slowly back off. It's the same behavior I see when Mom Raccoon chastises (what's the word used for raccoons) one of her young, the young one will bow the head and back off. I've even seen this behavior between Treasure and Harrison (Dad raccoon).

I learned a lot about the raccoons since my initial panic last year. I have noticed their reaction to me as sometimes they are out during the daytime (for whatever reason) and if I'm outside at the time, they'll either sit still when I walk by or run off. There isn't that attack. I guess the 3 raccoons that came up to me last year thought I had food (well it was garbage) and they thought they'd get something to eat. I rescued Harrison from precarious situations more than once and even helped him get loose from a chair he got caught up in this past winter. He had a sprained paw (foot?).

I also noticed behavior amongst the cats themselves. For reasons still unknown, Treasure and Shaman just stopped being buddies to the point that April 19th she disappeared for good. I had word someone took her in but then a week or two later I saw her crossing one of the side streets. While my neighbors are kind and usually report on the Next Door app of an injured or found cat or dog, many are hush hush about whether they spot these cats. I suppose it's possible for the cats to travel to one of the 10 colonies here (we have 10 in a 16 block radius because of some hoarding situation years ago). I just have to hope the other cats are fine and Treasure told them to find their own human. I also noticed that a lot of rules for feral cats to be different then an indoor cat. Last week I watched as Treasure and Sopdet practiced running into the winter shelter and hiding from predator type play. I guess that's what it was as one would chase the other, full fight noise and all, the one being chased into the shelter go all the way in and stay put. Then the other one would be the one being chased inside and all the way inside. They play a bit rough and get scratches. They go the entire 9 yards of fight stance and yowls. But can be easily distracted with food (of course).

I have noticed that even though Treasure laid claim to me and the property, running off all other cats including his littermate (Shaman) that they can come back if they want. Cooper was gone for 6 months when he just popped up one day. His attitude was more aggressive but he either was abused during his time away (he had a collar on first reappearance) or he learned to be more aggressive for survival outside. I'm hoping for his sake it's the latter. So that gave me hope that they can return. Maybe Shaman will pass through at some point just to say "hi". Anyway these are the few observations that I have seen during the time I've been caring for these cats.

Oh and one other observation and this may be specific to this raccoon gaze only as they are descended from a pair of raccoons that were pets, but if one of the raccoons knocks over my cam I have set up to watch them, they'll come back and do what they can to set it upright. I have witnessed that so many times. Harrison and Patty know how to set the cams back up right away. The youngsters are learning. Ok sorry for the book. If this post is not allowed because of all the others then please feel free to delete.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Another night of no sleep. Why would 2 young raccoons chase Treasure? Will he be ok or were they possibly just playing? Treasure has no problems with the adult raccoons but the “teenagers “ chase him. I’m so worried. I’m still learning raccoon behavior

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting more of a background on these cats. A woman on my mail carrier's route had 8 cats that she never had fixed. Kittens were the result and then those kittens became cats and had kittens. Then she decided she no longer wanted to care for them so they were all kicked out. An elderly man down the street took pity on them and opened the doors to his house for these cats to come and go 24/7 to eat but he was disabled and could not actually interact. But he did leave food for them. It was noted that a few of the cats were sickly or appeared abused. Mail carrier said Sopdet was one of the abused cats (explains the damaged vocal chords). Anyway the elderly man died at the age of 94 leaving the cats again without a caretaker when his out of state relatives came and threw the cats out. They then resorted to dining from dumpsters at commercial buildings around here (Shaman, Treasure, Cooper and Shadow were just a block from me raiding the dumpsters). A woman who worked at our city hall saw the cats and there were close to 100 (not the 80 as originally thought) and out of her own pocket for the TNR of all these cats. That added up to well over $1000. A few of the cats didn't make it, a few could not be released and went to a no kill shelter and the cats released back in the area equaled the 80 cats. I assume this explains Sopdet's fear of humans, and also why Treasure seems so clingy and maybe a bully when it comes to the food. Anyway that's the background story on these cats.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting more of a background on these cats. A woman on my mail carrier's route had 8 cats that she never had fixed. Kittens were the result and then those kittens became cats and had kittens. Then she decided she no longer wanted to care for them so they were all kicked out. An elderly man down the street took pity on them and opened the doors to his house for these cats to come and go 24/7 to eat but he was disabled and could not actually interact. But he did leave food for them. It was noted that a few of the cats were sickly or appeared abused. Mail carrier said Sopdet was one of the abused cats (explains the damaged vocal chords). Anyway the elderly man died at the age of 94 leaving the cats again without a caretaker when his out of state relatives came and threw the cats out. They then resorted to dining from dumpsters at commercial buildings around here (Shaman, Treasure, Cooper and Shadow were just a block from me raiding the dumpsters). A woman who worked at our city hall saw the cats and there were close to 100 (not the 80 as originally thought) and out of her own pocket for the TNR of all these cats. That added up to well over $1000. A few of the cats didn't make it, a few could not be released and went to a no kill shelter and the cats released back in the area equaled the 80 cats. I assume this explains Sopdet's fear of humans, and also why Treasure seems so clingy and maybe a bully when it comes to the food. Anyway that's the background story on these cats.
Glad you could get little background
Its always good to know as much as you can about your own cat or cats or ferals which I guess can possibly call your cats and neighborhood kitties
They are taken well care of NOW thats what matters
But background helps YES

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you could get little background
Its always good to know as much as you can about your own cat or cats or ferals which I guess can possibly call your cats and neighborhood kitties
They are taken well care of NOW thats what matters
But background helps YES
I posted a link to 2 of my videos on YouTube that Apple iPhone in the cat photos forum so I won't cross post here but here is one that I did honoring Shaman. Now Shaman I have no idea if she's alive or dead. I heard from one source someone took her in, but then a few weeks later I saw her roaming the streets while out with Mom so no way to stop for her. Then I heard she got run over by a car but when I went to verify it turned out it was just a stuffed animal a kid threw out the window. So where she's at I don't know. My only hope is she's well and alive. And I suppose as long as Treasure is still protective of the area and food she won't be back. But I may be surprised. Anyway here's the link to that video on Shaman. Oh and the dates are just the time frame that the photos were taken.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I have also noticed is that the cats know now when Mom and I leave for the day. I have a set thing that when we go I serve their food on a huge plate (platter size) instead of the small single serving bowls for when I'm home. When I do that the cats know I won't be home and they'd better let the food last. They also move as far away from the cars as possible on those days and go into the tent or down to the bushes.

Treasure likes to pester the raccoons. It's like he thinks it's his main purpose in life. However, the raccoons always back off in submission and are getting to the point they run terrified of him.

I've had like 15 false claims of Shaman sightings. Some were intentionally misleading (I know that for a fact because of who sent it to me). And I love Shaman and miss her like crazy but with an aged and ill mother I cant be taking off on every false lead. I think I"m going to start asking these people to send me 3 photos when they see her (full body; front and back of head) as she has a special marking on the back of her head. I know cats can wander several miles a day but I find it hard to believe that with 10 + colonies in a 16 block radius Shaman is going to wander 1 mile even since she's buddies with all of these cats (remember the hoarding situation? Yep). I have been lied to, manipulated and had my feelings hurt so many times from people on that Next Door app over her I'm really on verge of deleting my account on there. People can be so cruel as I have noticed the past several weeks in all the false reports. One she was run over. (no photo) Second she was in a warehouse. Turns out it was a black cat with kittens. Then it was she was playing with Cooper (20 miles away) yet Cooper was in my yard at the time. Then they saw her 20 miles the opposite direction. She gets around fast huh? Then she was up at Rally's. Yes that's a mile from here but still like I said with all of the colonies it's highly unlikely she travelled up there. As skittish as she is (she hides in the bushes if a leaf blows in front of her) so I doubt she'll be walking through commercial area and on major road. Ugh

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I made the hard and difficult decision to find homes for these cats. Three times this week Treasure had to see a vet due to illness and injury. I"m in car now waiting for vet to look at Treasure for a dog attack that occurred an hour ago. I can't keep allowing these cats to be in harms way because I'm too selfish to part with them. I'm going to miss them dearly as much as I miss Shaman but I want them to stay alive, not get hurt or worse out there. Crying like crazy right now. They will never trust another human because of the past two homes they had.