More frequent throwing up

lawrence38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

Have a lovely black kitty, Corleone is her name , 4yo in April, very active, normal-ish weight, a bit on the fluffy side but definitely not too overweight I would say, she is about 12lbs and has been at this weight or near for the past 2.5 years.

She eats normally, mostly dry food, but we do also feed her some wet one and some ”cat soup” although she is not a very big fan, seems she prefers her dry food. We only feed high-quality, grain-free hi-protein food, Purizon brand and also few others, trying to keep a variety for her as she is a bit fussy sometimes.

Long story short we also adopted a small kitten some months ago, that one eats pretty much anything is places on front of her as well as tried to ear paper and whatever she sees around :drinking:. Corleone was always throwing up a bit more often than her sister, we attributed that to her being an extremely clean kitty, she just won't have any dirt or anything on her, and she used to groom a lot her sister that sadly passed away last year. She seems to love licking everything fluffy, it was in fact very sad after her sister was gone, as she one day found some of my wife's spare make-up brushes, managed to sneak one away and she kept it hidden using it like her small "friend" to lick once in a while.

Her throwing up became a bit more frequent, and she gained a bit of weight, about 1-1.5lbs after her sister passed away, poor thing was clearly both distressed as well as bored being alone, hence why we adopted the small one some 7 months after being left alone. She definitely benefits in many ways from the presence of the small one, they play a lot, very active, she lost some weight and she is back to her "normal" previous weight, eats normally too. She loves to lick and clean the small cat (Sorellina), and sometimes if the small one does not cooperate, she will try to pin her down to be able to lick her clean "properly" :paranoid: although she never hurts or bites her in any way, she is very caring, more like the small one keeps "jumping" her and badgering her to play all the time.

She does seem to throw up more often though, I would say about once every 4-5 days or so on average, although there have been times when she went 2 weeks or so without throwing up at all, whilst other times threw up 2x on the same day, although the 2nd time it was very less just some foam. Usually its just some liquid, she throws up mainly in mornings or after drinking lots of water after having just woke up, and most often there is some fur-ball, bigger or smaller. Could it be that she throws up more because she licks the small one, on top of licking herself, as well as the small one is completely wild, roaming around under all cupboards and all narrow spots she can find, and although we try to clean any dust or dirt, she always seems to be able to find something to mess herself up :oops: (they are indoor kitties, only the glassed terrace/balcony plus inside the flat).

We're thinking of scheduling a trip to the vet as well, although we did take her last year after her sister passing and she was alright physically, and came here to ask if you've had any similar behavior from your cats, especially in such cases involving bringing a "stranger" in the house.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Good that you are taking her to the vet. It could be hairballs, and/or a digestive issue like IBS or gastritis or acid reflux. IBS can be triggered by stress. But they say vomiting liquid with or without hair early in the morning, that's usually bile.

Take care of the hairballs by brushing both kitties at least once daily so they will have less hair to swallow. And add a hairball remedy - I suggest GimCat Soft Extra malt paste. Depending on where you live it might be the beginning of the shedding season so that alone may or may not be the reason why she is having issues lately.

Small meals throughout the day is easier on the digestion. They also don't handle going without food for long hours. Maybe her last meal is too early?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawrence38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Good that you are taking her to the vet. It could be hairballs, and/or a digestive issue like IBS or gastritis or acid reflux. IBS can be triggered by stress. But they say vomiting liquid with or without hair early in the morning, that's usually bile.

Take care of the hairballs by brushing both kitties at least once daily so they will have less hair to swallow. And add a hairball remedy - I suggest GimCat Soft Extra malt paste. Depending on where you live it might be the beginning of the shedding season so that alone may or may not be the reason why she is having issues lately.

Small meals throughout the day is easier on the digestion. They also don't handle going without food for long hours. Maybe her last meal is too early?
Actually the dry food we've never restricted it, as she is usually not an overeater, always eats a little bit at a time, every few hours. At night, she usually is more calm and sleeps quite uninterrupted, she's always been more like that, whereas the small one, as well as her sister before, go to eat earlier in the morning.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many things can make a cat throw up that it can be really hard to determine the reason.

MissClouseau's suggesion here...

...is a good one. One of our cats sometimes throws up liquid in the morning when she's hungry. If I feed her a small amount of food during the night/early morning, though, she generally does fine. Part of her problem is that she gets nervous (stressed out!) about when she'll get fed next. She was underfed as a kitten and we think the fear of hunger has never left her. [I was just about to post when I saw that this likely isn't the problem! One down!]

I think MissClousea covered hairballs pretty well! Brushing can really help!

Certain food ingredients can also cause problems. There are certain ingredients that make Edwina (our cat who throws up!) vomit: potato, agar-agar, and green lipped mussels. We feed the cats a very high-protein diet that is also very low in carbohydrates because meat is what cats digest the best. They don't get any peas, potatoes, lentils, or similar vegetable matter. I looked at the Purizon wild boar food (I would love to feed our cats wild boar!) and thought it looked pretty good... other than a lot of potato.

If you want to see if it's a food ingredient that's bothering her, I'd suggest keeping a journal of any vomit incidents along with what Corleone ate before the incident. That's what helped us figure out that Edwina can't eat agar-agar or mussels. Since almost literally anything can cause food sensitivities, it's often a good idea to start with the simplest possible recipes that are just meat and necessary nutrients with nothing like potato, peas, and the like, which cats simply don't need to begin with. Those ingredients cause problems for some cats (like Edwina!) but others can't eat a certain protein: fish is a relatively common problem.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawrence38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ,and here's a few photos of her :redheartpump::purr: recent ones, she is certainly very-very active, very strong and shiny as ever, she always had a most excellent coat :cool:

Corleone — Postimage.org

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she's a very beautiful cat! And Sorellina looks very cute. I hope you're able to figure out how to stop Corleone's vomiting.(Coreleone, by the way, is a great name for a cat!)