More And More Feral Cats And Kittens ....what To Do?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I tried nextdoor. Put in my address and location. It said I had six neighbors I could contact to join up since I was the first.
Guess it works in Austin or a big city but you have to realize we're we are. It's almost as bad as they say " when we look for entertainment on Saturday night we all go down and park, turn on our car lights , and watch the birds hit the feed silo "!

So tried rehome adopt a pet. Great site but can't post pics... guess I'm not a technocrat either!

Very frustrating. Even having trouble posting updated pics of kittens here as you can see by my last post.

Oh well, tomorrow has got to be better?
Once you upload here, it'll be easy. It's just learning that the camera icon is no longer the way to upload. Haven't tried it on AdoptAPet, so don't know their algorithm but shouldn't be too difficult.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I feel your pain so much...Another cold winter approaches and the feral kittens that I have rescued are another year older and will have to live in an unheated shed outside. Even though they have winter shelters in the shed, they sometimes get breathing problems. And nothing is as cosy as being near the fire in winter. Rural areas are scarce on good homes, plain and simple. I will keep on praying for your kittens - they are gorgeous! I could have used that ginger - I have a home for our tame ginger tuxedo but they have their hearts set on a solid ginger, tame or not, because the 2nd kitten is intended as a companion for my kitten. There are 2 young gingers in the fields but I cant begin to trap until I have the funding for s/n and vaccinations

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm sure we could commensurate for hours with cat stories. I know what you mean about the cost....vets around here give absolutely no break on cost....once in a while the local rescue group ( really just one sweet woman trying to save them all) will get money and give out vouchers for spay/ neuter, bless her heart. That's it for groups. Score groups 10, vets -1!

So I have flyers out, am on FB, CL, rehome adopt site, local radio swap shop but no response. Guess they will go somewhere since we have 4 in the house , 3 in the garage, and feeding one tnr at brothers barn. I lay awake fearing what we will end up doing with these babies but you can't keep them all........can you?

I'm sorry all of us even have to discuss the fate of these babies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm sure we could commensurate for hours with cat stories. I know what you mean about the cost....vets around here give absolutely no break on cost....once in a while the local rescue group ( really just one sweet woman trying to save them all) will get money and give out vouchers for spay/ neuter, bless her heart. That's it for groups. Score groups 10, vets -1!

So I have flyers out, am on FB, CL, rehome adopt site, local radio swap shop but no response. Guess they will go somewhere since we have 4 in the house , 3 in the garage, and feeding one tnr at brothers barn. I lay awake fearing what we will end up doing with these babies but you can't keep them all........can you?

I'm sorry all of us even have to discuss the fate of these babies.
Well, personally, sometimes you CAN "keep them all"; in the case of my ex and I when we lived in a community where there were lots of "community" cats procreating, we spent all the years we were there -- 12 -- earning the trust of the wary, getting them spayed/neutered, building a 6' fence with locking gate so that at least they had the security of our yard, and establishing contact and rapport with rescuers/adopters in the general area for the small kittens, who are the most adoptable. We were able to offer the security of our yard, shelters we built, dry food, water, and sometimes wet food to them. They were all in our care. When we moved, they came with us and moved into our secured barn compound. So yes, sometimes you can keep them all, because the alternative is unthinkable.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finally some good news. Little "fluffy " went to a good home tonight!!! He is the first one in the on their back pics... the white/tan long hair. Precious little gentleman.
Four more to go!

Keep them in your prayers please.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally some good news. Little "fluffy " went to a good home tonight!!! He is the first one in the on their back pics... the white/tan long hair. Precious little gentleman.
Four more to go!

Keep them in your prayers please.
*EXCELLENT!* *PRAYERS* for each and every one to find a loving permanent home! ;):winkcat:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
More good news... brother the twin to the little girl gray striped tabby went to his new home tonight. He just curled up in the woman's arms and went to sleep.
But on another note I noticed they cried tonight and scratched at the side on their cage....2 boys and the gray striped little girl. Last night when nobody came to adopt they didn't cry. But the night little fluffy went they exhibited the same behavior, crying and scratching at the cage. My wife says it's because they know one of their litter mates are gone. Sounds logical but made me sad because I thought about my TNR colony I had to separate and give away for barn cats after 3 years....guess I will never get over that....

Anyway praying for 3 more adoptions!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More good news... brother the twin to the little girl gray striped tabby went to his new home tonight. He just curled up in the woman's arms and went to sleep.
But on another note I noticed they cried tonight and scratched at the side on their cage....2 boys and the gray striped little girl. Last night when nobody came to adopt they didn't cry. But the night little fluffy went they exhibited the same behavior, crying and scratching at the cage. My wife says it's because they know one of their litter mates are gone. Sounds logical but made me sad because I thought about my TNR colony I had to separate and give away for barn cats after 3 years....guess I will never get over that....

Anyway praying for 3 more adoptions!!!
No, you never do get over those times. I know. But *PRAYERS* for each and every one of them, and yes, for loving permanent homes for all of those very adoptable, adorable kittens!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an update: so out of the six rescued kittens we have adopted out three. They are approximately 6-7 weeks at this time. We have flyers out at four vets and one market, on local radio daily (swap shop), and have contacted rescue one ( only takes shelters euthanasia candidates), CARE ( no response), Faithful Animal Friends ( full, call back), WOW ( have 90 cats now), Eden Animal Haven (phone says full on cats... taking no messages)... they are 200+ miles from us!!!

Myrna ( my wife) is on an inhaler now due to cat allergies.

Cold weather is coming!

Wish I had some good news.....

Oh and the meth-head where we had to leave the sweet momma and the rest of the tnr babies keeps the food for her cats that we put out for those babies!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update: so out of the six rescued kittens we have adopted out three. They are approximately 6-7 weeks at this time. We have flyers out at four vets and one market, on local radio daily (swap shop), and have contacted rescue one ( only takes shelters euthanasia candidates), CARE ( no response), Faithful Animal Friends ( full, call back), WOW ( have 90 cats now), Eden Animal Haven (phone says full on cats... taking no messages)... they are 200+ miles from us!!!

Myrna ( my wife) is on an inhaler now due to cat allergies.

Cold weather is coming!

Wish I had some good news.....

Oh and the meth-head where we had to leave the sweet momma and the rest of the tnr babies keeps the food for her cats that we put out for those babies!
Don't give up. Keep trying. Living beings are counting on the help of someone with a voice.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: It is so discouraging, I know. One of our fellow TCSers will be out on the streets tomorrow: she lost her housing & aid. She found TCS too late to learn how to care for community cats. She got a ticket for feeding the strays because in her town, the limit is 3 cats, dogs or combo of both and all must be fixed, vaccinated and licensed. Anyone feeding ferals is deemed their owner. There are few cat rescues and right now they are overwhelmed. The AC shelter requires $20 for each cat or kitten surrender; she had a cat that gave birth to 3 kittens several days ago. The poor girl has no food herself but she still worries most about her cats. How will she be able to just put those poor cats out into the cold and rain????:cold: Life is so hard :headshake:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: It is so discouraging, I know. One of our fellow TCSers will be out on the streets tomorrow: she lost her housing & aid. She found TCS too late to learn how to care for community cats. She got a ticket for feeding the strays because in her town, the limit is 3 cats, dogs or combo of both and all must be fixed, vaccinated and licensed. Anyone feeding ferals is deemed their owner. There are few cat rescues and right now they are overwhelmed. The AC shelter requires $20 for each cat or kitten surrender; she had a cat that gave birth to 3 kittens several days ago. The poor girl has no food herself but she still worries most about her cats. How will she be able to just put those poor cats out into the cold and rain????:cold: Life is so hard :headshake:
Well, one thing I've learned in life is that we can only live our own lives, not others', and we can only do so much. None of us can singlehandedly save everyone, solve the world's problems, or bring equal rights and justice for all. We can only do what we can, as individuals, and it is always helpful when people of like mind form groups, to change laws, to save lives, etc. There is truly much tragedy in the world and if we allow it, it will overwhelm us. We can't let it, because then we would be part of the problem and helping no one. Do what you can. If you have faith, pray about it and for those who are in need/distress. Talk with those of like mind to try to change the situation for the better.