Moral Support and advice for cat peeing all over

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

My cat has had it really rough the past three weeks. He's been in intensive care for what they believe ended up being a sinus infection that went into his brain. Initially it was nine days of hospitalization which included getting him healthy enough for an MRI, finding the infection on the MRI, and then beginning antibiotic treatment. He came home for a few days and wouldn't eat or drink which ended up in him being hospitalized again, and now he's got an E-tube. Overall, he was hospitalized for about 13 days and it's been very hard on him.

I brought him home last night, and this morning found he'd peed on the blankets of the bed. He had also done this once before when he was feeling particularly awful before being readmitted. Prior to this illness, he had NEVER peed anywhere but the litter.

I'm in contact with the vet who said he may just need some more time to adjust, and he is scheduled for a checkup next week. We're feeding him with the etube which he is responding fairly well to. But he's peed on the bed I'm sleeping in with him multiple times (before this illness he NEVER did that), even when he's been put in the litter to see if he needs to go. He's up walking around but does seem distraught.

Tonight my plan is to sleep in the bathroom with him and a litter box (yes, sounds awful), but he just pees on the bed and I don't want him to get it on the couch. Does anyone have any ideas that might help us and him until he readjusts? If he readjusts...

This whole thing has just been terrible and I don't really know what to do. I love him dearly, but I'm getting ready to have a nervous breakdown.

Thanks,
R-kins

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry you have both been having such a tough time. I’m wondering if sinus trouble affected his smell. Scent is super important for kitties to locate everything in life. Your solution tonight is a a very kind one. Great kitty guardian! Later you can try a litter with a bit stronger smell or add extra boxes so they are easily spotted. You can put aluminum foil or noisy, stiff plastic on the bed to deter using that. Poor baby! It’s got to be very confusing to a kitty with a non working sniffer! Movement and smell are their best tools when looking for things. I think it’s just a matter of settling back in.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear he's been so sick. Poor boy, it must be tough on both of you.

I think keeping him confined to one room or keeping him crated will be the best thing for now. If you can get a dog crate you could put that near your bed so he feels comforted by your presence. Put a litter box in there, but put some puppy pee pads on the bottom of the crate too. Give him your unwashed pillow case or an old t-shirt to sleep with. Something that smells of you.

You'll also need to clean everything he peed on with an enzyme cleaner. If there is any trace of urine smell left on the bed he'll think that is where he is supposed to pee.

I really like this one. You can soak the bedding in hot water and let a couple of the tablets dissolve, then put it through the wash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear he's been so sick. Poor boy, it must be tough on both of you.

I think keeping him confined to one room or keeping him crated will be the best thing for now. If you can get a dog crate you could put that near your bed so he feels comforted by your presence. Put a litter box in there, but put some puppy pee pads on the bottom of the crate too. Give him your unwashed pillow case or an old t-shirt to sleep with. Something that smells of you.

You'll also need to clean everything he peed on with an enzyme cleaner. If there is any trace of urine smell left on the bed he'll think that is where he is supposed to pee.

I really like this one. You can soak the bedding in hot water and let a couple of the tablets dissolve, then put it through the wash.

Thank you. Yes, it's been very rough. We ended up sleeping on the floor of the bedroom last night. He doesn't seem inclined to jump up on the bed when I'm not on it. He did use my covers as a restroom though... You're right that the smell doesn't go away for them. My other cat jumped up on the washed sheets and immediately smelled where my little guy had peed before. I'll definitely order some enzyme spray today.

What is the product? I'm just seeing an amazon logo.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry that your cat, and you, are going through all this. Sending healing vibes that he feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

What is the product? I'm just seeing an amazon logo.
Sometimes amazon links don't work with all browsers. I'm able to see it, so will add another link, which maybe you'll be able to see. It's
Fizzion Pet Stain and Odor Eliminator, btw.

www.amazon.com/Fizzion-Stain-Eliminator-Tablets-Original/dp/B07HY186TK/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B07HY186TK

Here's also a TCS article that might be helpful:
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – Cat Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. While you wait to see if his inappropriate peeing is related to how rough he feels and his sense of smell being compromised right now, you might consider also buying some puppy pee pads and placing them around his litter box to see if having something soft to pee on next to the box might work. You could even try placing pee pads inside to box as a test to see if that helps get him back into the habit of using the litter box.

There are also cat attractants that you can add to the litter, but if he is having some issues with what he can smell, that may or may not work.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is probably feeling extremely miserable. I'd keep him in a small area with 2 low sided litter boxes. And I would get him checked for a uti as well when he goes in, stress can cause UTIs in cats and well he for sure has had a rough time lately the poor kitty. Is peeing small amounts? or normal size?

I would actually suggest to try dr elsey respiratory relief, it has no scent at all :) so he may really prefer that

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry you have both been having such a tough time. I’m wondering if sinus trouble affected his smell. Scent is super important for kitties to locate everything in life. Your solution tonight is a a very kind one. Great kitty guardian! Later you can try a litter with a bit stronger smell or add extra boxes so they are easily spotted. You can put aluminum foil or noisy, stiff plastic on the bed to deter using that. Poor baby! It’s got to be very confusing to a kitty with a non working sniffer! Movement and smell are their best tools when looking for things. I think it’s just a matter of settling back in.
Thank you. He definitely seems to want to pee on my things (maybe he wants me to know how he's feeling?), so I just laid some blankets on the floor of the room and he peed on my blankets while I was sleeping, but nothing else. Luckily he isn't inclined to jump up onto the bed if I'm not on it. I also put a litter pan right next to the blankets in hopes that it might deter him. Someone else suggested pee pads, so I ordered some of those as well.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. While you wait to see if his inappropriate peeing is related to how rough he feels and his sense of smell being compromised right now, you might consider also buying some puppy pee pads and placing them around his litter box to see if having something soft to pee on next to the box might work. You could even try placing pee pads inside to box as a test to see if that helps get him back into the habit of using the litter box.

There are also cat attractants that you can add to the litter, but if he is having some issues with what he can smell, that may or may not work.
The pee pads are an amazing idea! I had left some soft blankets on the ground for him at night in case he didn't want to get on the bed and he seems to have gone on all of them. I'll put pee pads in those areas instead and see if that at least limits where he's going. I ordered some XL ones that should get here tomorrow. Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The pee pads are an amazing idea! I had left some soft blankets on the ground for him at night in case he didn't want to get on the bed and he seems to have gone on all of them. I'll put pee pads in those areas instead and see if that at least limits where he's going. I ordered some XL ones that should get here tomorrow. Thanks!
If for some reason the pee pads aren't 'cushy' enough, hang onto the blankets that you can't salvage and place them underneath the pads for added cushion. Also, once you think you're ready to try, you can cut up those blankets and layer them in the litter box as well - after all, those you can't get the smell out of are headed for the trash bin anyway!!!

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If for some reason the pee pads aren't 'cushy' enough, hang onto the blankets that you can't salvage and place them underneath the pads for added cushion. Also, once you think you're ready to try, you can cut up those blankets and layer them in the litter box as well - after all, those you can't get the smell out of are headed for the trash bin anyway!!!
Thank you for that idea as well. He peed on another blanket yesterday and I put one of the paper towels I cleaned up with in the litter box. He did pee in it a couple of times last night, so that seemed to help! (He also peed on my blankets this morning, but baby steps.)

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I can agree the pee pads are a great idea, where I live I can buy them online about 50 per pack which will last a longtime, I still have some left from when the mother had kittens last year... You can stick those around places where he has been peeing.