moodiness in senior cat

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Amy, thanks for being here, and thanks for the help with my other question. Got another one...

My oldest cat Felixia was abandoned as a spayed adult by neighbors in 1991; she already had bad teeth, too, so I'm not really sure how old she is.

Over the last few years, she's become increasingly vocal, and cranky, too. She also isn't getting along as well with the other cats. That's improved a little with the Feliway used when I moved, but she's still pretty touchy. She is still very playful, and can be sweet, but her mood can change to annoyed very easily, and I can't tell why.

I've had her checked out at the vet (bloodwork, EKG, etc.) and they don't find anything physically wrong with her. The vets have needed to remove almost all of her teeth over the years, though.

Is there something we may be missing, or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for your help!

amy shojai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Tess,

These older cats get more short tempered the older they get, LOL! It may just be the age speaking. Or it could be subtle pain/discomfort that's putting her tail in a twist. For instance, cats that suffer from a bit of arthritis may not show many signs. Hypertension (high blood pressure) also can make them irritable--that takes a special test to detect, and hypertension can be a sign of kidney disease.

Typically older animals want WHAT they want NOW--if not sooner, LOL! The crabbiness may be something you'll both need to live with.

amy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Amy!

I searched back through her vet records and found that he did check her blood pressure (he's a great vet!) at her annual exam, and it was normal. I'll take her back & ask him about arthritis, though.

I guess the other cats will just need to learn to give her some space!

amy shojai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear the test was okay.

I'm sure the other fur-kids will learn very quickly to adjust to her "moods." *s*

amy