Monitoring After Lily Ingestion

writingislove

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
93
Purraise
40
Location
Idaho
Hi all. Long story short, my cat ate a leaf off of my Mother's Day Easter lilies on Monday while I was at work. I feel an immense amount of guilt, let's try not to get into that. :( I rushed him to the emergency vet and he was promptly admitted for two days and kept on IV fluids.

Over the two days he was there, his blood work all came back normal. After 48 hours they discharged him, and tonight at the 72-hour mark I took him back for follow-up blood work to make sure everything looked good. And it did--his levels all look 'perfect.'

The thing is, they want me to bring him in AGAIN tomorrow for another check. Everything I've read on lily toxicity seems to indicate we'd at least have seen a spike in his renal blood work by 72 hours after consumption. Their service is really slow so to take him in tomorrow would mean a stressful ride in the car, plus waiting in the lobby inside a carrier for an hour (seriously), plus another round of being poked with needles. It's incredibly stressful on him and I'm torn. My family thinks the vet is milking me at this point, and I do NOT want to put him through another blood draw tomorrow if it really isn't necessary. Does anyone know anything about the monitoring period after being treated for lily consumption? Or does anyone have any experience they can share? (God I hope not :( ) I will absolutely take him if it's something that really should be done, but I feel so bad for the poor thing. He's had a heck of a week.
 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Dec 11, 2015
Messages
8,570
Purraise
10,675
Location
Naperville, IL
I have no experience at all, but I wouldn't take a chance on it considering the toxicity of lilies. He's come far, but you never know. Take him in.
 

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Jun 13, 2018
Messages
18,110
Purraise
24,986
Location
Central FL (Born in OH)
Hi. I am guessing that the vet is operating under an abundance of caution - probably at this juncture wanting to make sure no kidney damage has occurred. I know it is stressful for both him and you, but I am not sure if it were me that I would want to take any chances. I am guessing that kidney damage - if there is going to be any - can take a while to show up.

Can you ask the vet if any more tests will be necessary if this last proposed blood work comes out fine? I hope he says no. Or, perhaps ask about a vet that does home visits and could draw blood without your cat going to the vet's office?

Here is just one of many articles that are available about Easter lily toxicity in cats.
The Dangers of Easter Lilies to Cats
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4

writingislove

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
93
Purraise
40
Location
Idaho
Thanks. I’ll take him in today as they instructed. I’ve seriously read like 25 articles on it now and it looks like kidney damage almost always shows up in the blood work by now, but I’ll rest easier knowing we checked again.

Lilies are NO JOKE. I feel like stores should put a warning on them that if you have a cat or the person you’re buying flowers for has a cat, to stay far far away. :(
 

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
5,188
Purraise
6,675
I'm so sorry this happened to your cat and to you. I'm with the over abundance of caution. You might consider another vet and another opinion if this visit leads to another one.

Vets should know that waiting in the reception area is stressful. Perhaps if you called and told them you were concerned that, given what had happened, could they let you make an appointment and bring him in then.

I did go to one vet who was all about his appointments because i had dog who was so stressed she would over heat, I mean her temperature would reach brain damage heights just from her freaking out. Told him, was assured she'd go straight in at the appointment time. Now this wasn't a vet working alone - I know you have to make exceptions for emergencies,so I picked one with another vet in practice and there. My dog could have suffered permanent brain damage which sort of make it an emergency. Got there and we had to wait an hour. I spent the hour pouring water on my dog. She survived. So it may be useless but it might be worth asking.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7

writingislove

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
93
Purraise
40
Location
Idaho
Thanks every, I forgot to update over the weekend. I did take him in, blood test results were great! Glad to be able to put this whole thing behind us. Keep lilies away from your furbabies, they are no joke! :(
 

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Messages
2,957
Purraise
7,208
Location
Littleton, CO
So glad your kitty is ok! At least you won’t have to worry since you took him back.

We woke up one morning and Gohan had decided to stop and smell the lilies - his face was actually orange. We called the vet and they said since he didn’t have a reaction or any odd behaviors then he was fine. We never got any bloodwork done, but it’s been 3 or 4 years now so I guess we lucked out.
 
Top