Monday's Question of the Day

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No not yet, very good possiblity that I will be working on Christmas day.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet. Everyone seems to be trying to figure out Thanksgiving for now.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not yet. Everyone seems to be trying to figure out Thanksgiving for now.
That is true :) Working Thanksgiving, hoping that work might provide us with a Thanksgiving dinner. Will see... otherwise for both holidays it will be whatever I have in the house that is quick and easy to make.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im going to my mam's this year

see we dont have thanksgiving here I forgot when I asked the question

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im going to my mam's this year

see we dont have thanksgiving here I forgot when I asked the question
No biggie. ;) I never heard of Remembrance Day until this weekend.

I saw a yard decorated for Christmas last night. Christmas stuff showed up in stores before Halloween! I'm of the group that thinks Christmas is too commercialized and it seems to come earlier each year. However, I can understand the real reason behind the season and being with family. And food!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mmmmmm. Christmas dinner. One of my grandmothers made the best Christmas dinners ever. Appetizer of squash bisque, then for the entree we always had roast goose with spaetzle, gravy (of course), home made bread, various veggies and instead of salad, she would make a jello mold with Mandarin oranges inside. And flaming plum pudding for dessert. And Grandpa's only job, besides carving the bird, was making egg nog from scratch with Makers Mark. My mouth is actually watering just thinking about it!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
All I can say at this point is that we will have a stuffed crown roast of pork for our Christmas dinner.....that's our family tradition. Side dishes and desserts to be determined....although I can say that there WILL be a white coconut layer cake as one of our desserts.

I will be working on our Thanksgiving menu this week. Turkey is in the freezer; he's a big one at 25 pounds.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Change of plans: crashing Winchester's dinner on Christmas!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l haven't planned anything yet, but since we always get a turkey from work, we'll be having it. And since my freezer's full of pork, l'll probably do roast pork.

And l have a huge love of parsnips! Any special meal isn't really special without parsnips.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't even gotten Thanksgiving dinner planned out entirely just yet lol.[emoji]128514[/emoji] So, that's a no on Christmas!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't normally do Christmas dinner here. I'm working on my Thanksgiving menu and almost have it all planned out. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In Nancy Baggett's cookbook, Desserts, there's a recipe for a Pumpkin Cheesecake made in a gingersnap crust. Now I don't care for cheesecake (OK, I abhor the stuff and think cream cheese is diseased and should be declared illegal, but that's another story 
), but dear Richard loves his cheesecake and so do many family members. I'm thinking of trying that for one of our Thanksgiving desserts instead of our traditional pumpkin pie. Not sure what I'm going to make in addition to the pumpkin cheesecake, but am considering baking some cut-out Christmas cookies the weekend before Thanksgiving and throwing them into the freezer to decorate the night before Thanksgiving. I have a great recipe for maple cut-out cookies that I think would be a good treat.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a clue. Not even sure what we are doing, maybe going to my parents house for dinner. Holiday meals get complicated when my parents live in North Carolina, and the BF's parents are divorced and each have their own dinners, and then everyone wants everyone else to be at their place!!

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky that we always do a tour of the grandma's houses for all the holidays. So I'm always treated to a nice meal and I get to relax.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My father-in-law has requested homemade pizza for Christmas Eve; I'm thinking ham for Christmas Day (and goose for Thanksgiving).

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband always wants turkey, so I was thinking this year maybe I'd make a turkey in November and have a goose on Christmas. Other than that, I don't have anything planned I'm hoping to just get through this week intact (super busy week).

Last edited:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In Nancy Baggett's cookbook, Desserts, there's a recipe for a Pumpkin Cheesecake made in a gingersnap crust.
Yummy. I hate pumpkin pie, but have really enjoyed every pumpkin cheesecake I have tasted. It's the best of both desserts and should be a crowd pleaser :) Save me a piece!