Monday's Question of the Day

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As it has decided to turn very cold here ive relented and put the fire on!

So have you started putting the heating on or got the fires going now?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the States, New Jersey.  We've had the heat on and off for about a month now depending on the temperature.  This morning, it's about 35 degrees where I am so yes, it's on!  We've even lit our fireplace a few times in the past couple of weeks. Had our wood delivery the other day to make sure we don't run out during the winter.  It doesn't heat up the whole house but nicely warms the one room we hang out in most and we like the ambiance too.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely not!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I caved and turned the furnace on in early October. I have a low cold tolerance these days. :sigh:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We caved and turned the heat on a couple of weeks ago when we started going down into the mid-30s at night. Last night, our low was 23; today our high is to be in the mid 40s. We had frost last night. 

I wore my wool coat to work this morning with my scarf and my gloves. I have my long underwear top with me to change into with my sweatshirt when I walk over lunch. With that chill and that breeze, it's going to be a cold walk today. 
  Can't find my ear muffs, darn it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(Reminder to self - look for good pair of leather gloves missing in house somewhere)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont understand your temps LOL! I know I should know them but I think because we use little numbers makes it tricky see it was  -1 here yesterday morning

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
American temps don't make any sense at all, don't even try :lol3:. But freezing is at 32 degrees (= 0 celsius) and boiling is at 212 degrees (= 100 celsius) so maybe you can get an idea of everything in between :tongue2:.

I turned the heat on a long time ago, I don't even remember. Probably early October. As usual, it was AC one day and heat the next :rolleyes:. But some days are warm enough that it doesn't have to run; I just turned it on so the house temp doesn't drop too far at night.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I dont understand your temps LOL! I know I should know them but I think because we use little numbers makes it tricky see it was  -1 here yesterday morning
Try this out.....http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html

So your -1 C is our (roughly) 30 F.

And our 23 F is -5 C for you.

There's a method to the madness, but I don't remember the exact calculation.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heat went on here in October when temps at night dropped to freezing just to maintain a civilised temperature in the house and until a couple of days ago, the heaters didn't run until after dark. Turned up the heat tis morning because the windchill is -10°C and a NW wind sucks the heat right out of this room

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our heat has been on since September, but that was not my choice. I rent half of a house and the furnace is on the other half so I have no access to it unfortunately. The people who lived there moved and turned it off but I had to call landlord to turn it back on. It was freezing in here.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuppers, heat is on, and the fireplace! Have plenty of wood stacked up and ready.

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been using the furnace for about 2 weeks now, especially in the mornings. Last night it got significantly colder here. We had a fire in the fireplace on Halloween, but really a fire is welcome almost every night here, even in the summer!

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our weather has been so freaky lately, one day it's cold and the next it's very mild.  Today it's cold, I put my flannel sheets on yesterday.  I don't use blankets cuz my comforter is enough for me.

I have turned the heat on and off cuz of the freaky weather I mentioned.  Today I have it on but at a low temp.  Unfortunately the weather is again going to get milder by mid week, I just wish it would stay cold and be done with it, it is November already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Try this out.....http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html

So your -1 C is our (roughly) 30 F.

And our 23 F is -5 C for you.

There's a method to the madness, but I don't remember the exact calculation.
Oh thanks Ill have to book mark it because im forever scratching my head on FB thinking well 38 is rather hot! LOL

Our weather has been so freaky lately, one day it's cold and the next it's very mild.  Today it's cold, I put my flannel sheets on yesterday.  I don't use blankets cuz my comforter is enough for me.

I have turned the heat on and off cuz of the freaky weather I mentioned.  Today I have it on but at a low temp.  Unfortunately the weather is again going to get milder by mid week, I just wish it would stay cold and be done with it, it is November already.
yeah for the last month its been like that here some days a thin coat is needed when out and about and some days I break out the one my dad gave me from when he worked nights on the railway, very heavy duty and very warm!

We've been using the furnace for about 2 weeks now, especially in the mornings. Last night it got significantly colder here. We had a fire in the fireplace on Halloween, but really a fire is welcome almost every night here, even in the summer!
My fire is electric so I try not to use it as it costs a fortune to run, but I needed quick heat this morning actually all the gas and electric prices have gone up c'est la vie!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We've had our heat on for weeks now. It's really chilly at night, and today about half the people I saw outside had winter coats on.

Ash, if you use Firefox, download the Forecastfox extension. You can set it to show the current weather and forecasts for the next few days in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. For example, tomorrow's high is supposed to be 9°C/48°F.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our heat has been on over a month now I think.  DH works outdoors a lot and likes to be comfortable when he is home.  Plus the kids sleep better and that means I'm happier too...  I don't keep it very hot; just 72 a the most.  We used to keep it at 68 but we all sleep with our doors shut so the bedrooms get cooler.  Otherwise; put on some clothing! 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a wimp, I've had the heat on. This house isn't well insulated so it loses heat/AC quickly. It's only going to the 50's at night, but again I'm a wimp.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apartment is all electric .Heat on whenever needed. Not constant. I try not to run it all the time,we can always put sweaters on.

Last edited: