Monday's Question of the Day - September 14. 2015

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it's the last full week of summer!!  We finally had some cooler weather today.  Since when is 68 degrees chilly!?!!  

So a fun question today; I hope!

How long are your cat's tails?

So far only Noodles has cooperated when I pulled out the tape measure.
  Her tail is a little over 10"; maybe 10 1/4".  I only got one shot to measure her.  I tried Mooch first and she was like "nuh uh."  
  The tape measure I used is small; but still makes noise.  I may need to get the one out of my sewing box later.  I think Mooch's tail is longer.  Both are short hair; so there is no floof making them look longer.  

One of my Mom's cat's has a short tail.  I've never asked if the vet thinks it's just a shorter than average tail; or if there could have been a reason behind it.  Growing up we had a cat who lost a bit of her tail in an accident.  It didn't look obvious and fortunately I was young enough that I only remember the bandage and picking her up from the vet.  Mom's current cat's tail reminds me of that old cats in some ways.  I don't think she has ever had a reason to be x-rayed for us to know.  She is also a smaller cat though.  Mooch and Noodles are good size cats.  They look unhealthy at anything below 10lb.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli's tail is longer than expected - a shade over 31 cm / 12 in.. Mogli isn't a small cat, but also not all that large. He runs about 6 kg / 13 lbs.

One of the shelter cats that was adopted last week, Sammy, has an incredibly long tail. He wasn't all that cooperative, but it's at least 15 inches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally got Mooch's tail measured.  It's about 12.5"; give or take half an inch.  She meowed sweetly; but she still gave me a "what are you doing!?" look. 
  I wish I'd measured my mother's cat's tail yesterday when I was at her house! 

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way Autumn will let me measure her tail.  She loves when I stroke it but if I get out a ruler or tape measure, she will run away.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sort of had to be stealthy and pet Mooch while holding the tape while she was looking away.  
  I forgot to try while she was eating. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OK, this is going to take me a while. Half of them are bob tails and some of the long tailed cats have got twists or curls in their tails.

Do you want me to try and straighten out the curly ones? We  might have to go for a guestimate with some of the wilder ones.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OK, this is going to take me a while. Half of them are bob tails and some of the long tailed cats have got twists or curls in their tails.

Do you want me to try and straighten out the curly ones? We  might have to go for a guestimate with some of the wilder ones.

With your brood; that could be an all day project!  But interesting too since you are in Japan.  We could pretend it's educational and compare cat tail lengths from around the globe. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
these are estimates, because my snick tends to prefer to not be bothered lately and our jaspurr is too much of a squirmer. snick's tail i'd estimate to be about 10 1/2 - 11 inches long, including her long hairs at the end. and our jaspurr's tail i'd estimate to be about 12 - 13 inches in length.

jaspurr's tail is very cool! he does the question mark shape with his tail quite often. snick's tail tends to sway while she walks, like a pretty plume. both cats hold their tails up as they walk.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speedy's tail measured 11 3/4 inches.  I was sneaky.
  I took one of her long, dangling toys and used that, then I got the tape measure out.  When you look at her you probably say, that cat has a very skinny tail.  She is a siamese/calico mix, but her tail is  siamese, definitely.  She looks more siamese than calico.   I can't post pictures as I do not have a camera, but when I get one I will make up for lost time!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan, those cats are beautiful! 

I'll have to see if the clan will let me measure tails. Somehow I doubt it, but we shall see.

The interesting thing about Mollipop is that she carries her tail up so high that it actually touches the back of her neck sometimes. We call Molli our Meow-lamute (the feline version of a Malamute
) because of the way she carries her tail. It's not a fluffy tail, but she must be proud of it because it is never down. Somebody here told me one time that the way a cat carries his or her tail is a sign of how confident the cat is in the hierarchy of the house. If that's the case, then our Miss Pop is one very confident kitty.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Norachan, those cats are beautiful! 

I'll have to see if the clan will let me measure tails. Somehow I doubt it, but we shall see.

The interesting thing about Mollipop is that she carries her tail up so high that it actually touches the back of her neck sometimes. We call Molli our Meow-lamute (the feline version of a Malamute
) because of the way she carries her tail. It's not a fluffy tail, but she must be proud of it because it is never down. Somebody here told me one time that the way a cat carries his or her tail is a sign of how confident the cat is in the hierarchy of the house. If that's the case, then our Miss Pop is one very confident kitty.
All of her cats are beautiful !! 

Lilith carries her tail like a peacock does. She struts around with the tail held high and fluffed out with just the tip hanging down. She especially does this after she's chased Henry (who is easily twice her size) back into his room or is just feeling extra sassy. She is definitely the alpha in our house. Even the dog (40 pound Border Collie) defers to her majesty, Queen Lilith. 

My DD is adamant that animals need to have human names but she declared that Mollipop has the best cat name of all time. She was sitting with me one day and she saw a post where you mentioned her and she squealed like a 2 year old and told me how much she loved it.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch's tail kind of sashays when she is in a good mood.  She holds it high and it kind of dances back and forth; not held straight; but like rolling curves.  I dont know how to describe it other than a sashay. 
  If my kids are around; she is more cautious usually; so less dancy tail.  Noodles kind of keeps hers up and hooked when she is feeling happy.  it doesn't dance like Mooch's; but she is generally more cranky anyway. 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I tried to post this 2x from my phone.  I have no idea how long Sam's tail is.  But I had to show it off.  When he's happy it lays almost flat against his back.

Holly won't let anyone measure her tail, she will bite.  

Cheryl

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy's tail is 11.5 inches long, base to tip. Emma's tail is 10. 5 inches.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Sam's tail pose! And Mia! 

I will try to get a picture of Mooch's tail; but she is busy roosing/reigning from the top of a box of clothing I brought in the house.  She's hardly left it at all today. 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww I love Mia's tail!  

When we brought him home from the shelter, I got kind of concerned because he had such a strange tail.  I'd never seen anything like it before.  It's got a bend at the very tip of the tail too, I thought it was broken or something.  Since then, I found out it is a genetic mutation.  

He's the sweetest tabby cat 

Cheryl

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Aww I love Mia's tail!  

When we brought him home from the shelter, I got kind of concerned because he had such a strange tail.  I'd never seen anything like it before.  It's got a bend at the very tip of the tail too, I thought it was broken or something.  Since then, I found out it is a genetic mutation.  

He's the sweetest tabby cat 

Cheryl
Strange tail with a bend in the end? Hmmm, I wonder if he's got any Japanese bob-tail in him.