Monday's Question Of The Day - October 22, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a gorgeous fall day here! I am trying very hard to get through this day quickly. I went grocery shopping alone last night and I stopped to see if they still had any copies of Moana on the shelf.

I know Disney only keeps movies out for so long before they put them back "in the vault." And Moana has become one of my favorites. So even though it's on Netflix; I wanted to be sure I got a copy for us and for trips before it gets filed away for who knows how long. Thankfully I got it!

But they also had one of my most favorite Disney movies ever; PETER PAN!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: I have been waiting for years for them to release it again! (I still have my VHS copy AND a working VCR; but I've misplaced the VHS in a "very safe place"!) I have got to get through school, laundry, dishes and getting chili in the crock pot so I can watch it!! :banana1: I may be able to fold laundry while watching. :think:

I also bought a lot of socks. For my kids. That's less fun but DS stuck his toe through a pair the other day and DD's feet have outgrown her old ones. So necessary. :lol:

What is your favorite "children's" movie? (I say "children's" because I clearly enjoy them as much if not more than my kids. :lol2:)

My all time favorite is Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I watched that the other night too. After my kids were in bed. :D

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh, tough question! It changes a lot depending on my mood. I like the Despicable Me film series, and some of the DreamWorks and Pixar films (Monsters Inc, The Incredibles etc etc).

Whilst I loved some of them as a kid, I'm not big on traditional Disney films these days (either animation or live acted) :paperbag: *hides*

I do love many of the Studio Ghibli films, particularly ones dubbed into English (I struggle with subtitles at times). Spirited Away, My Neighbour Toroto, and The Cat Returns are the ones that spring to mind.

I don't tend to think in terms of specifically 'kids films' that much, just films in general - growing up with a kid's tv director/producer will do that to you ;) Dad always said that the mark of a good kids show or film is that adults can watch it happily and find it just as interesting as the kids do - it has to work on all levels.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were:

The Lion King
A Little Princess (1995 and 1939 version which I used to watch on YouTube)
Cinderella (Disney)
Lady And The Tramp
Aristocats
The Sound of Music
Oliver Twist
Finding Nemo
Anastasia
Beauty and the Beast (Disney)
Snow White (Disney)
Sleeping Beauty (Disney)
The High School Musical movies
Tangled
Aladdin (Disney)
Mary Poppins
101 Dalmations
Peter Pan (Disney)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i've always loved The Wizard of Oz. :agree: i've watched it many times over decades. and The Sound of Music, which i've watched countless times.

i also really enjoy watching Finding Nemo, and Finding Dory. just great movies! :redheartpump:
I love all of those movies! I should probably add Finding Dory to our "To Buy" list also. :lol: The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins are timeless. My kids love them. They were a little less into The Wizard of Oz. That's one that I think was "better" before it was enhanced. The props and scenery look less realistic. But the colors are gorgeous.
I don't tend to think in terms of specifically 'kids films' that much, just films in general - growing up with a kid's tv director/producer will do that to you ;) Dad always said that the mark of a good kids show or film is that adults can watch it happily and find it just as interesting as the kids do - it has to work on all levels.
I agree with your Dad! That works for children's literature also.

My love for the Disney Classics reawoke after having kids and especially when we took them to Disney. A few that I had VHS's for would get watched. I had a few on DVD. My BFF is a big Disney fan and had tons of the movies. So we borrowed them before our trip so the kids would know who all the characters are. There are still a few we haven't seen that she didn't have.
Anastasia is my favorite, but I also love The Lion King, Lady and the Tramp, and Dumbo. One of my favorite movies that a lot of people haven't heard about is the Three Lives of Thomasina.
I don't like the ones that make me cry. :lol: So Dumbo is out as is The Fox and the Hound. My cousin adored Lady and the Tramp but I would get so upset at the dog catcher and mean old Aunt I couldn't like it. :lol: I loved the movie The Chipmunk Adventure and would watch that now; but I cried at that one too. :rolleyes:

DD says The Aristocats is my DD's favorite. My step-dad and I like that one a lot too. Him because of the jazz music. Me because CATS and great music. :lol: That's one I had on DVD.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like more kids movies than movies made for adults! :thumbsup:

I love/loved Peter Pan. I wanted to be like him when I grew up. But I wasn't allowed to grow up. So that plan failed bad. :crazy:
Pinocchio is another favorite, mostly because of Figaro and mostly because of the old guy Geppetto. But that scary island for bad unruly boys still gives me night terrors...something about a kid drinking beer, smoking a cigar, shooting pool, then sprouting mule ears and hooves, then freaking the hell out and trashing the place with his braying and seeing them sent to a mule work farm.
:paranoid: shudder :nervous:

I also saw the Lion King and it's still one of my nearest and dearest.
The Three Lives of Thomasina, Wizard of Oz, Tom and Huck (Disney version) was really good. Oh, and I was forced to sit through a My Little Pony movie and didn't hate it, and saw an Alvin and the Chipmunk movie that I was fascinated by because the animation seemed before and after its time. Had some good one liners, too. :thumbsup:

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it counts as a children's movie because it became more of an adult movie as the series went on, but the Harry Potter series is my favorite. It's still a treasured memory of taking my sons to the movies and how excited they were each time a new one came out. Two years ago I did a theme party/movie watch for every movie. It was a LOT of work and it was something I had always wanted to do.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the ones that make me cry. :lol: So Dumbo is out as is The Fox and the Hound.
I mainly like Dumbo (and cry during it) because Dumbo's mom reminds me SOOO much of my mom. My mom would do absolutely anything for her kids even if it meant something would happen to her. She goes full Mama Bear on some things. I had to yell at her to get out of this store I worked at (over the phone since I wasn't at work) because she found out a coworker was bullying me. She was basically hunting him down to give him a piece of her mind. :rolleyes3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pinocchio is another favorite, mostly because of Figaro and mostly because of the old guy Geppetto. But that scary island for bad unruly boys still gives me night terrors...something about a kid drinking beer, smoking a cigar, shooting pool, then sprouting mule ears and hooves, then freaking the hell out and trashing the place with his braying and seeing them sent to a mule work farm.
:paranoid: shudder :nervous:
I was always scared of that part too. And the big whale. I love Figaro, Gepetto and Jiminy Cricket though.