Monday's Question Of The Day - October 16, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's Monday again. I had some dental work done last week and I've had to lay off coffee and anything hot. And anything crunchy or that can't be eaten with a fork or spoon or required a straw...basically all the foods I'm now craving. So I'm sitting here feeling deprived. I feel like I could be Sesame Street's newest cast member...Coffee Monster. :disturbed:

It's also Homecoming Season around here...so today's question is inspired by that!

Did your school have homecoming dances? Did you attend? Were they formal?

My high school had semi formal homecoming dances; my college did not have anything. I went to the dance 3 of my 4 years in high school. I didn't mind dressing up back then. I never had a date but it didn't matter. Lots of my classmates just went as a group and we had a blast. Sometimes we would go out to dinner before. Sometimes someone would host an after party. My friends and I were very well behaved so these were pretty tame parties. ;)

My senior year one of my best friends had a steady boyfriend that was just the sweetest. (My Mom always loved him. :lol: ) My other best friend and I didn't have dates but we all went in a group so it didn't really matter. His twin was a waiter at a local restaurant so we got hooked up with a reservation for something like 20! But we sat in smaller groups in the room. So it was 3 girls and my friend's boyfriend at our table. After we finished eating my friends and I went to the restroom to fix our makeup before the dance. When we came back my friend's boyfriend was standing waiting for us; ready to head back to his car. We hadn't paid yet so we were kind of confused. He said it was taken care of. When we got back in the car he told us it was our senior homecoming; we shouldn't be paying for our own meals. :hearthrob: That is still one of the sweetest things someone has EVER done for me. It means more thinking about how expensive that had to be for a 17 year old guy! :touched: I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. Except for my freshman year and my senior year (when I was married and pregnant and didn't go), I went with Rick.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, they did have a Homecoming Dance. It was lots of fun.

They also had chose a Homecoming Queen from contestants sponsored by the guys on the varsity football team. A friend at church asked to sponsor me when I was a junior. He wanted his girlfriend to do it, but she wouldn't. I agreed. The contestants were then voted on by the student body. We had to wear formals. At half time we rode around the football field on the back of convertibles. It turned cold and I nearly froze. I was shocked when they announced I had won. It was one of the highlights of my school years.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, our high school had Homecoming and, yes, I did attend. We did dress up but not in formal attire.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My school had them. I think I only attended one of the dances.. I mostly helped out with the homecoming parade with the designing and stuff. With two football teams, we were pretty big with them

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to a parochial high school so we never had dances on school grounds. (Dancing is a sin, you know :lol:) Parents would sponsor dances off campus and it was OK for us to go to those. My parents went to the same HS and when they were there they'd get in trouble if they went to off-campus dances! Now my kids attend the same school and they have dances in the commons all the time. Times change...

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
We had homecoming day dances but I never attended one. I did go to the proms though - we had junior and senior proms. My senior prom was quite the adventure because my date's vehicle caught on fire while we were on our way there. We smelled the smoke and got out of the vehicle right before it burst into flames. That was a bit of a heart-pounder.

When we did get there, it turned out that I was the first girl to ever wear pants to the prom and there was a brief discussion among the chaperones about whether or not I should be admitted. Since the pants were part of a brocaded silk outfit with a top long enough to be a short skirt, I was allowed to attend.

Ah, fun times, fun times. Thank heavens they're over. :rolleyes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't go to public school, and I really don't know what the DODDS school on base did about dances and games and stuff. I just never paid attention to that.

The school in the town I work in didn't have a homecoming dance this year. I was told that it was not well attended in years past so they gave up on the idea. This year they had a movie night in the school auditorium instead. Sounds good to me! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no homecoming dances in the schools i attended. there were dances and proms though. i went to a few dances, and to one prom, but i really didn't enjoy that kind of thing.