Monday's Question of the Day - November 30, 2015

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm kind if in a rush this morning; so I'm trying to make this quick!

Are you comfortable with power tools?

I posted a thread recently about quilting and DH making a doll bed for our DD.  He finished the bed yesterday.  It just needs a last sanding and staining.  (Which are my jobs.)  I had hoped to help more with the woodworking part; but I was busy working on a different project using my dremel on Saturday.  Then yesterday the kids and i finished deep cleaning their toys and put up the Christmas tree.  

DH did a really good job on the bed!  It's sturdy!!  I need to hide it somehow before we go out in the garage.  DH ended up buying a sander to round out the edges of each board to give the bed a more rustic look.  I told him now I can give him all kinds of projects to build for me! 
  When i was a kid I loved helping my Grandpa in his wood shop.  He made us all kinds of things; doll cradles, doll houses, rubber band guns, step-stools, wall shelves, decorative items (all kinds!), tables, a wood hope chest for my mother, a wardrobe and a few curio cabinets.  He was always making something.  And he usually found a way to let us kids help.  He gave me a curio cabinet he had made for Gram years ago.  

That's all probably why i really love hand made items like that.  When I was looking online for wood doll beds; I couldn't find any I liked for a price I liked.  Fortunately DH was on board for making one.  He made me a planter last year; but this doll bed is much nicer.  The planter isn't so visible once you add the window boxes and flowers.  i hope DD loves the doll bed and I hope we have it around for generations.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, definitely not! I'm such a klutz that I can all but guarantee that I'd cause serious harm to the house and/or the animals and/or myself! :anon:

I use basic tools ok, but even then I've managed to take chunks out of myself :sigh: :disa:

If I say I managed to kill an iron by repeatedly dropping it you may start to get the idea... :anon:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I love power tools. I used quite a bit  of it redoing my kitchen this past weekend!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love power tools!  Before I moved I had a really nice collection of hand power tools, but I left them for my son, who was renovating a condo unit.  ~SIGH~  Must get more tools.  At the least, a mouse sander, a decent drill with screwdriver heads, a stud finder,  a laser level, and a dremmel.  Oh, and a small circular saw and jig saw.  Living in a small apartment, there is no room for table saws and big miter saws, although I may get a simple miter box and hand saw.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love power tools. I've grown up using them, as I have a tool addict for a father. I'm also an only child so I got to help him build decks, put up crown molding, remodel kitchen, etc. I was the only girl at Habitat for Humanity that could work a miter saw in high school. 

And now I'm single, and own my home... so I do a lot of building and remodeling projects. 

Last edited:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE tools! Power or not! 

Walking into a tool store sends my blood flowing! Right now I have an electric sander sitting on my dining room table! (a reminder that I have to sand and refinish it! DUH!). I work on it a little at a time because going longer than 10 or 15 minutes initiates back spasms for me. The Boys don't care much when the sander is going - they both hide behind the curtains on the window sill for protection! LOL  Not that I am dangerous; they just don't like the noise!

I also have a power drill/screwdriver and all the multiple attachments. I save every screw, nut, bolt and washer that I pull from stuff I no longer need. My 'inside' toolbox is packed with tools and odds n ends like wire, measuring tapes, levels, a slew of different types and sizes of nails, a dremmel, hack-saw (2 extra blades) and myriad other little things!

For a 'single' woman, I admit, I have a wide array of tools!  A friend asked me once why I had such a huge toolbox in the trunk of my car. I told her that if my car breaks down, I am prepared! She then questioned my mechanical ability -- I told her I had broken down on the highway one time and a passer-by came to the the rescue. The guy said he could fix it, but he didn't have the tools needed to do the job! Pffftttttttttttt! I popped my trunk and asked, "What do you need?". He was more than a little surprised that I had a full set of long ratchets (both metric and standard), sockets, extensions and swivels, screw-drivers (flathead, Phillips and torque), ahammer and a small rubber mallet, pliers, wire snips and strippers, electrical and duct tape, a can of WD-40, a handful of clamps in various sizes, a cresent wrench and channel lock, and a mini air-compressor! Oh, yea... a flashlight, gloves and a small box of rags!

Learn to use tools! Have basic tools at hand! You might not know how to use them, but somebody else surely will! 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on anti-convulsants which have the interesting side effect of making my hands shake.... so no, lol. I'm lucky I can cut my cat's pills in half!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i'm comfortable using power tools. in fact, i love power tools!  i've accumulated various power and hand tools over the years -- i buy them as i need them.

the little hamlet in which i live has a hardware store. we have a one-room post office and a hardware store, a convenience store with gas pumps, and a garage with gas pumps. oh, and a little diner that has very specific and odd hours and days it's open.

my absolute favorite store is a hardware store. my dad used to take me with him when i was a kid, to go get various tools, nails, etc. i loved just walking around the hardware store looking at things.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

No. I'm too much of a klutz to trust myself around much of anything like that. 
Hey, even a stud finder and laser level will count...we're a forgiving bunch, and you can't hurt yourself with either.  Very good to have on hand for hanging pictures...or cat scratch mats for those who like to scratch vertical. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No. I'm too much of a klutz to trust myself around much of anything like that. 
LOL!  You're too much of a klutz to play with 'tools', but you play with stoves, ovens, boiling water, knives, cleavers, vegetable peelers, blenders, processors, graters, and the occasional cork screw! Give yourself some credit Madam! You play with tools every day! And all with 6 cats and a Beagle under your feet!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

LOL!  You're too much of a klutz to play with 'tools', but you play with stoves, ovens, boiling water, knives, cleavers, vegetable peelers, blenders, processors, graters, and the occasional cork screw! Give yourself some credit Madam! You play with tools every day! And all with 6 cats and a Beagle under your feet!
Ummmmm.....yeah! 

However, I have cut/sliced myself numerous times with my knives and I've burned myself too many times to count while putting in/taking things out of the oven. I really am a klutz!

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the noise, but otherwise not a problem. I've always been the one to have the tools - it was funny when a tradesperson asked to borrow something from "your husband's toolbox." We have a workshop now with a sawhorse so that's going to make small house repairs a lot easier to do.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I was the only girl at Habitat for Humanity that could work a miter saw in high school. 
Oh my gosh me too!  
  We had this project in our "technology" class in 8th grade where all we had to do was build a wind cart from small strips of wood, paper and tissue paper.  We used mostly hand saws so it was super easy.  My classmates took forever.  They gave us DAYS and it took people that whole time to build a small cube shape.  Mine turned out to be a monstrosity.  It also lost the race.  Probably because it weighed so much more than anyone elses.  

I don't like the noise, but otherwise not a problem. I've always been the one to have the tools - it was funny when a tradesperson asked to borrow something from "your husband's toolbox." We have a workshop now with a sawhorse so that's going to make small house repairs a lot easier to do.
DH and I both wear ear plugs!  He bought a case of them to wear when he is doing the lawn or any projects with the power tools.  i'd love a little workshop.  My Grandpa's was in the basement; but we don't have a basement either.  I loved playing down there when i was a kid!