Monday's Question Of The Day - May 15, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope all the mother's here had a good weekend! Regardless of whether it was mother's day in your country or not. ;) We must have worn our kids out because they both slept in today. We went to church and then drove up to a mall about an hour and a half from home to shoe shop and have lunch. We also explored Cabela's!! :hyper: If it had been father's day; DH would have spent the whole day there. :lol: DS had a gift card to Build-a-Bear and we had a late lunch at Panera and then went grocery shopping after we made it home. I was pretty worn out myself. But it was worth the trip. The mall had an Aerosoles store and a Sketcher's store (although I didn't find anything in the sketchers store. They didn't have my size in store for my big feet. :doh:) We got lost in the mall a couple times trying to find places. :paperbag: I got my steps in for sure! :rolleyes: We dodged the fidget spinner booth and all the little sales booths in the middle trying to get you to sign up for stuff. :dizzy:

Do you open the door for solicitors?

This is a personal pet peeve. If I don't know your coming. Don't!! :bat::soapbox:

Even my kids are learning not to run when they hear the doorbell. :angrywoman: And to stay out of sight too. A few times I've felt stuck answering because they ran to the door thinking it was my Mom. I have the door covered by a curtain but you can still see if someone is moving around inside. :cringe: Maybe I should answer and let them have a 5 minute conversation with my son about fire trucks? :evilgrin:

They don't come TOO often here; but I homeschool my kids and they always come in the middle of lessons. Or like the other day. I had sent everyone to the bathroom, had their shoes on, and we were about to walk into the garage to go get some plants and things at Lowes so I could hurry us home and get them planted. And the doorbell rang. And the 2 ladies stood there for at least 5 solid minutes. If not more. I'm not even exaggerating. :frustrated: I found their pamphlet in the front door when we got home. :rolleyes:

I bought a No Soliciting sign when we got to Lowes. I wanted one of those cutesy "friends and family welcome" kind; but for now I just have a general, to the point one. :smash:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the time I do answer, but I'll pretend I don't understand them, say "Sorry", and shut the door. It's times like that that I miss having a large dog I can pretend I don't have any control over.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am torn about this one. If it is teenagers with candy or I know they are the religious type I will answer and just say not interested. If I am home alone or it is dark outside I turn on the porch light and will open the door just enough to tell them to leave. The screen door is locked between us. Usually I will have my body positioned to block it opening further (and our couch is on the side too) and there is a pepper spray in my unseen hand and my cell nearby. My phone has an emergency feature that I hit a button three times and it sends an SOS to programmed numbers with my GPS, front and rear camera photos and a 15 second recording of the moment I hit the button.

In my area there has been a group who has a young lady knock on the door. She does her speal and asks for a glass of water, to use the bathroom or you leave to get your wallet. As soon as your back is turned or she is in the house a group of guys rush the door and rob you. My house is actually not good for this. We have a small walkway that goes right by a big window on one side. The other side has so many plants most people don't realize it is a walkway but it is also narrow with thorny plants on either side so hard for more than one person at a time to wait there either. The couch back is to the door so it creates a defined path and you can only enter single file from there. We rarely use the front door honestly. The other one that happens is similar with young girl trying to gain entry. But on this one she looks around the house to see if it is worth coming back. She also tries to find out when you will be gone by asking about what you are doing for upcoming holiday or if you like camping etc.

However, not answering the door can signal you aren't home so they try to gain access if they don't hear anything. It could also invite someone to take a look around the front or back yards for easy to carry off items. So on the off chance I really don't feel like it I leave the blinds open and the TV on and shoo them or shake my head when they try to get my attention through the window.

I would much rather just say no solicitors and ignore them. The same thing happens with phone calls by the way. The find out house phone numbers and call to see if anyone is home. So I answer all phone calls and do my best to annoy solicitors. Like a "pharmacy" called yesterday and I asked if they were telling me I was sick since they were calling. Was the guy my psychic buddy since he knew I needed medications? Could he recommend a good doctor?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No. I may open the bedroom window and say, "And what do YOU want?" if I'm feeling feisty. Other than that, no. Fortunately, we don't get a lot of door-to-door salespeople or religious people. We did come home from work the other day to find a religious pamphlet tucked into our front screen door; to me, that's the same as littering.

We no longer answer our phones if we don't recognize the phone numbers either.

One night right around dusk, several years ago, somebody knocked on our front door. I opened the bedroom window and said, "What?" The girl said she was having car trouble, didn't have her phone with her and needed to make a phone call. I told her to give me the number and I'd call for her. She insisted she would make her own call. When I told her I was more than willing to call the police for her, she left.....we didn't see a car anywhere. Our neighbors said later on that she was at their house, too, and they said they'd make the call for her as well, but she wasn't getting in the house. She left. We have no idea whatever happened.

Last edited:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment & don't buzz in anyone I'm not expecting, and now with smartphones friends usually text to say I'm here when they buzz. Years ago Jehovah's Witness people used to buzz at our building, but I didn't let them in. I also don't answer the phone when I don't recognize the number. Lots of 800 numbers seem to call my home number during the day, not sure why.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We try not to. Anyone coming door to door in my neighborhood would be up to no good. We are only friendly with one neighbor, the rest we don't know. We recently got a new front door that finally, has a window so it's much easier now to see who's out there.

We get a lot of Jehovah's Witness people coming around. Tom has been known to take their brains and beliefs for a serious spin. He's really knowledgeable about world religions in general, and especially Christianity - when he was young he went through a Born Again phase and had to learn EVERYTHING. Now that he's older and studying philosophy well those people don't stand a chance arguing with him. He'll rattle out facts that only dedicated bible scholars know and let me tell you, those people knocking on our door know nothing in comparison. He once spent an hour (I know!!!) with one guy until the JW finally admitted defeat. He especially dislikes when they drag their children with them and he'll make a special point to inform in a more gentle manner when that happens but I bet a few of those kids ran off from the Church soon thereafter LOL.

The phone is of no issue since we don't use our main number for anything other than a backup. We get notifications popping up on the TV who the caller is and in the 7 years in our home, not once have they been anyone we want to deal with. Whomever needs us, has our cell numbers, or email.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not answer the door unless I know who it is. When I am home I usually have the tv on. If I have company coming over they call or text when they are here. My hubby will call and tell me if a package is being delivered. He calls when it has been delivered and I bring it in. I also do not answer my phone if I do not recognize the number. If it is important someone will leave a message. We also have an alarm system if I am sleeping the alarm is on.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I answer it. Too many people ring my doorbell for other reasons - the city telling me they are going to shut off my water, someone looking for a lost dog, Fedex or UPS delivering a package. If it's someone selling something or proselytizing, I just tell them I'm not interested and close the door before they can start arguing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's times like that that I miss having a large dog I can pretend I don't have any control over.
Our dog was large and in charge! If I did open the door he would bear his teeth, growl and let out a loud bark. I've always felt dogs are better deterrents than a security alarm. :wink:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope as I live alone and if I don't know you I'm not answering it even if I am home. Soliciting isn't allowed here any way for safety reasons.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of the time I do answer, but I'll pretend I don't understand them, say "Sorry", and shut the door. It's times like that that I miss having a large dog I can pretend I don't have any control over.
Isn't it great being able to pretend you don't speak the language? When people ask me if I speak Japanese I usually answer "That depends...."

We never get solicitors, religious types or anyone else knocking on the door here. One of the advantages of being off road. If anyone unexpectedly knocks on my door they're probably very, very lost.

:biggrin:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I usually do not answer the door. If I have to for some reason, I will normally talk through a locked screen door or a window.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We hav e one of those relatively inexpensive Ring systems. There's a chime that tells you someone is on the porch and a different sound for the doorbell. There's a wide-angle camera with night vision that automatically takes a video of the person. It even notifies you and allows you to answer if you're away and have a smartphone. At home, you can see who it is and even talk to them without opening the door. Not bad for about $200.

We also reinforced the door jam and frame with much longer screws and installed a Medeco lock. It's virtually impregnable, pick and kickproof. You can only get keys from the place where you buy the lock. They're expensive but worth every penny. The locks you buy at hardware stores aren't much better than Scotch tape.

We have a no soliciting ordnance but it's a dog with no teeth and the solicitors know it. We ran some people off when they claimed they were exempt from the regulation by conspicuously following them and photographing them and their vehicle. They finally got spooked enough to leave.

My husband keeps his karate weapons and a can of super-potent pepper spray right by the door, within easy reach. I would love to have a recording of a shotgun being racked to play over the speaker. I just may have to get one.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's illegal here to go door-to-door selling things. the few times there have been people doing that, i've seen the local police stopping to talk to them -- i'm sure someone had called to report it.

i have an alarm system that i use. on the rare occasion that someone knocks on my door, my policy is that if i don't know them i don't answer the door. and it doesn't bother me if they see me moving around (through the curtains) either.

i never answer phone calls from 'unknown numbers' or numbers i don't recognize. and i figure if they choose not to leave a message, it can't have been important anyway. 'repeat offender' unknown numbers/numbers i don't recognize get added to my blocked numbers list with my phone system. i also signed up for Nomorobo, so robo calls are blocked.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We love NoMoRobo! It's free, too. The phone only rings once so you know it's a spam call. We're getting more of them every day despite being on the Do Not Call list, which is essentially ignored.

We've also been getting calls that show a person's name. When we answer, it's a robocall. They've stolen someone's phone number and are using it to get around NoMoRobo. Ya just can't win!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We love NoMoRobo! It's free, too. The phone only rings once so you know it's a spam call. We're getting more of them every day despite being on the Do Not Call list, which is essentially ignored.

We've also been getting calls that show a person's name. When we answer, it's a robocall. They've stolen someone's phone number and are using it to get around NoMoRobo. Ya just can't win!
yup! i figured it would only be a matter of time before the robocallers found a way around NoMoRobo.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We always check caller ID and those callers are tricky. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the caller ID.....only to find out that I'm calling myself! My own phone number is on the caller ID.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our dog was large and in charge! If I did open the door he would bear his teeth, growl and let out a loud bark. I've always felt dogs are better deterrents than a security alarm. :wink:
The police will tell you that the safest thing a person can do is to have a dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The phone calls are awful about calling when we are in the middle of school too. We have MagicJack just to maintain a phone line at home. But about 6 months ago it stopped working right so all calls go to voicemail; which sends me an e-mail. It's MUCH better this way! So peaceful not getting calls. I changed our contact number with all our doctors to my cell or DH's. I don't give my cell to anyone else. It's kind of annoying not being able to use the home phone; but I just can't bring myself to truly fix the MagicJack. DH either. :lol:
We hav e one of those relatively inexpensive Ring systems. There's a chime that tells you someone is on the porch and a different sound for the doorbell. There's a wide-angle camera with night vision that automatically takes a video of the person. It even notifies you and allows you to answer if you're away and have a smartphone. At home, you can see who it is and even talk to them without opening the door. Not bad for about $200.
I would love to get something like that. The way our house is set up I'd love a better view of the garage front and side. And to see the door without going to it. I started thinking about that because or our elderly neighbor who was living alone and needing some help on occasion. I would hate to not answer her knock; but she also claimed she saw people in her yard at night. She's lost a lot of her vision so I wondered if it was that.

Part of me would love a dog but DD seems allergic. And Mooch and Noodles would have a fit. :tongue: My neighbors across the street have been known to come out with shotguns when some people tried to party at the property next to theirs (a commercial place). Living in the country can be quite amusing. :wink: