Monday's Question of the Day - December 29, 2014

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's my last QOD for the year!  Wow!  So let's talk something fairly simple.

How often do you replace your computer?  What about electronics like tablets, cell phones and mp3 players?

My current desktop (what I prefer to use for TCS) is 4  years old now.  The computer before this one was about 6-7 years old when we replaced it!  The guy at Best Buy was shocked when we told him what we were upgrading from. 
  We got our money's worth out of it!  

For a tablet I have a kindle fire.  I LOVE it!  It's 2 years old and starting to lose charge faster; even when not in use.  That's disappointing!  We generally keep our cell phones long enough to get a good deal on a new one with upgrading our plans.  We only upgraded to smartphones this past summer.  We resisted the data plans for so long.  But I do love my phone. 
  I haven't upgraded my ipod in probably 6-7 years!   It's just a small shuffle one.  A friend of mine actually won it at her job for some kind of drawing.  She already had a much bigger and better one; so she gave it to me as a Christmas present.  I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that too! 

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My phone is an iPhone 4S from circa 2012. My laptop is a Macbook Pro we bought in 2013. We can get 6-10 years out of a good laptop, but we tend to replace phones after about 3 years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When all that XP stuff started (what, around May of this year, or so?), we got rid of the old XP computer....I think we had had that one for about seven years or so; as far I'm concerned it was probably the best computer we ever had. Rick took my Vista computer (about five years old now) and I bought a Dell XPS with Windows 8.1 in July or August, I think....I don't remember. I got my first laptop for Christmas, which also has Windows 8.1 Professional....it's a 17-inch Toshiba and, so far (knock on wood), is running fine. Got it set-up into the network and it's printing and connecting Ok. (And I didn't need my BIL's help to do it either; managed to do it by myself. I think he was a little surprised. Usually I just call him up and say, "Hey, could you help me?" He's never turned me down. But I wanted to try it myself first before asking him. He checked everything out yesterday when he was here and said I did good! *patting myself on the back* He can't help it; I think it's ingrained in him to check on computer stuff. He wants to make sure it's done right.)

My tablet is a Nook HD+. It's OK, but I'd rather have my old Nook Tablet back. I think it was faster and less of a pain to deal with with Overdrive (for library books and such). I have to touch it several times to get it to download a book or get online. My Tablet bit the dust and so we got this one; I think I should have just gotten another Tablet. I really liked the Nook Tablet. I use my Nook primarily for reading (I downloaded the Kindle app, so I can get books that way, too; the best of both worlds.). But I also use it for some gaming. My grandson downloaded Hay Day on the Nook for me last night....something about building a farm, I think. They have it and thought I should, too. 
 We got as far as baking and selling a loaf of bread from wheat that we grew on the farm. I think we sold a couple eggs to the local elementary school, too. 

I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD smartphone. Rick has a Droid Ultra. (I was talking to my DIL last night; she said her contract for her iPhone is up in February and she can't wait to get rid of her iPhone; she hates it. I asked what she was going with this time and she said a Droid Turbo or some kind of Samsung. Our son has a Droid, too; he switched over last year from an iPhone. I don't know; I thought they would like their iPhones, but they don't.)

The only reason I bought a new iPod (7th Gen) was because I washed my old one (5th Gen)
 in the washer. Some of you might remember that; I was heartbroken. I loved that old iPod! Loved the turning wheel and all that stuff. I could stick my hand in my pocket and hit the wheel without looking at the iPod. This new one, I can't do that and it's a hassle. Sometimes the newer stuff isn't all that great. I still have the old iPod and check it from time to time....still can't get past the Apple logo. Darn it. I use the iPod when I'm walking and also in the Tucson. 

The grandchildren got iPod shuffles for Christmas. They couldn't wait to show them to us. 

Such technology we have these days! Remember back when digital cameras were the "thing" to have? And now, we all use our phones! I find it truly amazing sometimes to think of all the stuff we now take for granted. 

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My phone is the Android Maxx. Got it about a year ago so the contract runs out in a year. I love the phone, so I'll see then if it needs to be replaced.

My PC is only about half year old. Not a brand name, it was built to spec.

Laptop is dying. It's an Asus gaming rig, got like 7 years out of it running intense graphics. But its time for a new one. Very low priority unless I find a great deal. I am considering just getting a tablet instead.

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As it's required. I've never been someone to frivolously go out and buy new products, especially things as fickle as electronics.

I had my previous computer for over ten years, and before it was mine, it was my brother's for several years. Since we use desktops, we just buy new parts as the old ones kick the bucket or as my work demands better. The computer I have now, I built from scratch with the exception of the DVD drive/burner which we took from the old build, but all the other parts we bought new in late 2012. Since building it, I've added a second monitor and more RAM. It's got space for a second video card and more RAM if I need it.

I almost never replace phones. I had a flip phone for a long time, and then inherited my parents' Samsung Discover (which they had for maybe a year already) for two years until it lagged really badly, and I realized my messages were being sent and received with a five minute delay, and this past September I bought a Moto G. I expect it to last several years as well, especially since I don't do much on it and it doesn't face much wear and tear.

I had an old mp3 player for ten years and only "upgraded" because there was a trade-in deal, give Future Shop your old mp3 player so they can recycle the parts, and you get $50 off an iPod Touch 4th gen. The guy doing the trade-in for me chuckled when I handed him my old beloved 8MB mp3 player and said "I haven't seen one of these in forever!" I've had my iPod Touch now for four years, I can't update the iOS or most of the apps anymore, but I also never use it anymore for anything other than streaming video or playing music.

I'd like a cheap, simple tablet to carry my digital works around on so I can show them to prospective employers, but have yet to find a good enough deal. Boxing Day this year was a bit underwhelming with the discounts..

Last edited:

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The whole family has iPhone 5's.  They're the cheaper of the 2, I don't remember if it's the C or S.  Phones don't get replaced around here until the contract is up- every 24 months or so.  Dh and I went longer than the girls did.  

Until March of last year I had a desktop.  Dh saw how slow it was so I got a laptop for a birthday present.  Nothing fancy, simple HP.  Runs Quicken so all of our finances are now in one place.  

The youngest had a really old Lenovo (7+ years) that she was doing schoolwork etc on.  It had XP on it.  After XP went away the only thing she could do was write papers on it, and even that was giving her issues.  SInce she's graduating high school in June and needs a laptop for college, we went ahead and got her a laptop. Nothing fancy, it does all that she wants it to do.  The oldest's computer is from June 2012, her high school graduation gift. She says she wants a Mac when she graduates college next year b/c she's going into music and that's what all music teachers have.  We will see

Dh has a work computer that he can bring home.  Now everyone in the house has a laptop  

I got a Kindle Fire HD last year for Christmas.  Dh has my older Kindle, I think that one is 2 years old.  

I like Apple's iTunes for music.  For reading- Kindle's platform is far better than Apple's IMHO.  I could go either way with a phone.  I've had both an Android and Apple device.  Texting is easier with the iPhone, but I liked the Android device better.  So my question is, when you go with electronics, do you stick with just one brand or do you have a whole bunch of them like I do? 

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

He can't help it; I think it's ingrained in him to check on computer stuff. He wants to make sure it's done right.)
My cousin's husband is like that. 
  They came down for DD's dedication when she was a baby.  He found some things on our computer he needed more time to fix so he took it home and shipped it back to us via Fedex! 
  I have no idea how much he spent doing that!! 

The whole family has iPhone 5's.  They're the cheaper of the 2, I don't remember if it's the C or S.  Phones don't get replaced around here until the contract is up- every 24 months or so.  Dh and I went longer than the girls did.  

I like Apple's iTunes for music.  For reading- Kindle's platform is far better than Apple's IMHO.  I could go either way with a phone.  I've had both an Android and Apple device.  Texting is easier with the iPhone, but I liked the Android device better.  So my question is, when you go with electronics, do you stick with just one brand or do you have a whole bunch of them like I do? 

Cheryl
DH and I have the 5c.  We've only had them since June so I don't have anything to compare to; but so far I don't see why people give the iphone such a hard time.  I haven't done the last update that people got all riled up about.  I never do updates on anything till other people test them.  
  But so far; no issues.  It does all I need it to and then some.  Ask me again in a few years when these are eligible to be replaced.  I am trying to take good care of it; I hear so much grief from people who break their phones but never bothered to invest in a case.  One girl recently was lamenting the state of her old, broken phone on Facebook for weeks.  She finally got a new phone and there was rejoicing throughout the land.  I saw her 2 days later; she knocked it off her chair.  It wasn't in a case.  Thankfully; it didn't break.  But if your already living on a budget and your going to spend all that money on a phone...invest in a proper case.  
  Rant over.

We aren't too brand specific.  At least not on purpose.  Our last 2 computers were both HP and they've done well.  (I have had dust issues with this monitor.)  My old computer before that (back when we had room for 2 desktops in the house) was another brand and didn't last as long.  DH and I both have ipods; both were gifts.  I think his is the nano; from when those first came out.  I chose kindle for my first e-reader because Amazon had a MUCH better selection of books in my preferred genre.  The Kindle fire was a good price.  DH also bought a regular kindle e-reader and because of that we can share books.  So I guess we do stick with the same brand; but it's really not intentionally.  We tend to see who has what meets our needs and go from there.  When we got our iphones; they were free with our upgrade.  Our plans was well past the point of renewal so maybe that affected the offers too.  

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My cousin's husband is like that. 
  They came down for DD's dedication when she was a baby.  He found some things on our computer he needed more time to fix so he took it home and shipped it back to us via Fedex! 
  I have no idea how much he spent doing that!! 

DH and I have the 5c.  We've only had them since June so I don't have anything to compare to; but so far I don't see why people give the iphone such a hard time.  I haven't done the last update that people got all riled up about.  I never do updates on anything till other people test them.  
  But so far; no issues.  It does all I need it to and then some.  Ask me again in a few years when these are eligible to be replaced.  I am trying to take good care of it; I hear so much grief from people who break their phones but never bothered to invest in a case.  One girl recently was lamenting the state of her old, broken phone on Facebook for weeks.  She finally got a new phone and there was rejoicing throughout the land.  I saw her 2 days later; she knocked it off her chair.  It wasn't in a case.  Thankfully; it didn't break.  But if your already living on a budget and your going to spend all that money on a phone...invest in a proper case.  
  Rant over.

BTDT.  

The girls got new phones last Christmas.  One WEEK (yes a week) after we got them, the youngest dropped her phone.  In a stream on IL's property.  Can you say DRAMA?  I had images of having to replace the whole phone for full price.  

It was turned off, and put in rice until we got home (we left a day later and it's a 12 hour drive).  Put it in a ziplock bag in rice.  Put the bag on top of a heating pad kept at 100 degrees.  Did that for a week to get all the water out.  One week later we turn on the phone and HALLELUJAH IT WORKED!  

I then had dd spend some of her Christmas money on a Lifeproof case.  There was no way I was living through that again.......

Cheryl

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't chase the latest and greatest thing in technology so I keep things until they break.  My laptop is 4 years old, my last one was 5 years old when I replaced it.  I don't know how long my last one would have lasted, I spilled coffee on it.  The keyboard didn't work right after that, two keys didn't work at all and it would do weird things.  

My last cell phone was also my first smart phone and I had it 3 1/2 years.  It started doing some weird things the last six months that I had it and finally gave out.  It was a Motorola and I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 now.  The S5s had just come out so it was a decent price.

I have an Mp3 player around here somewhere.  I only used it when I was still physically going to work, I would borrow audio books from the library.  It still worked fine the last time I used it but that was almost 2 years ago.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTDT.  

The girls got new phones last Christmas.  One WEEK (yes a week) after we got them, the youngest dropped her phone.  In a stream on IL's property.  Can you say DRAMA?  I had images of having to replace the whole phone for full price.  

It was turned off, and put in rice until we got home (we left a day later and it's a 12 hour drive).  Put it in a ziplock bag in rice.  Put the bag on top of a heating pad kept at 100 degrees.  Did that for a week to get all the water out.  One week later we turn on the phone and HALLELUJAH IT WORKED!  

I then had dd spend some of her Christmas money on a Lifeproof case.  There was no way I was living through that again.......

Cheryl
DH also got the Lifeproof case.  I decided to go with the OtterBox, even though it's not waterproof for the 5c.  I have a hard time hearing on DH's phone and I already cannot use my right ear on the phone; so that's a no-go for me.

Sometimes I'm REALLY glad my kids aren't old enough to want true electronics.
   Even if they are currently running around being crazy... 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My laptop is ages old and I don't use it nor do iwant another one.
My smartphone is galaxy s3. It's driving me bonkers but it's too soon to change it.
I use it for everything. I'm using it now.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

DH also got the Lifeproof case.  I decided to go with the OtterBox, even though it's not waterproof for the 5c.  I have a hard time hearing on DH's phone and I already cannot use my right ear on the phone; so that's a no-go for me.

Sometimes I'm REALLY glad my kids aren't old enough to want true electronics.
   Even if they are currently running around being crazy... 

Mine were little before electronics were a big thing.  My oldest was thrilled when we gave her a flip phone freshman year in HS 

Enjoy the time with the little ones.  They grow up way too fast 
  A junior in college and a senior in high school....................

Cheryl

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Mine were little before electronics were a big thing.  My oldest was thrilled when we gave her a flip phone freshman year in HS 

Enjoy the time with the little ones.  They grow up way too fast 
  A junior in college and a senior in high school....................

Cheryl
I got my first phone my freshman year of college.  It was prepaid and I bought it myself. *pats self on back*  I think I had 30 or maybe 60 minutes of talk time a month on it. 
  My mother and step-dad did buy me a "real" phone on their plan the next year.  I think they wanted to keep better tabs on me. 
  Or to never have an excuse not to call if I'd be late.

Today is one where little kids are hard.  They've been off the wall and I still need to take them grocery shopping with me.  At least only one has "walking privileges".  
  I like that they are little enough not to complain about my restricting their technology.  I used to let my DD have more time on my kindle; till the morning she took it while I was in the shower and reset it trying to get past the password.  I was not happy!  But it's funnier now. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My computer is Windows Seven and I am hanging onto it for dear life. I have the new Windows 8. I use a Tracfone. I only make calls, no texts etc. So I will have this until it quits.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This question makes me feel really old.  I got my first cell phone in 1993.  At that time you carried it around in a bag.  (I still have it)  Back in the dark ages you paid a monthly fee and per call and it could get expensive.   I got it because the company I worked for offered a corporate discount and I had broken down on the road a month before and walked a mile to the next exit. 

Also, at that time service was limited to my area but I thought it was worth the cost.  I decided that the next time I broke down I could call for help.  Since then I wouldn't leave the house without it.

Both my desktop has windows 7 because that's what I had to get when my last one with XP crashed and burned.  My laptop has windows 7 because when my laptop with XP died I refused to make the move to 8 and had to search around for any left in the stores. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when cell phone usage was very expensive, a lot of people had pagers because they were a lot cheaper.  I was very late to the cell phone thing, I got my first one in 2005.  A cell phone is now my only phone, I got rid of my land line a couple of years after I got a cell phone.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The laptop's almost 2 years old. I'm ready for a different one WITHOUT windows 8. I hate it. No tablet for me but DD has a Kindle Fire. We both just got new phones a couple of weeks ago. The IPhone 6 for me. I like it. DD got the Samsung Galaxy S5. She's happy with it. I don't have a land line either. Got rid of it 3 years ago. I don't miss it at all. My MP3 player of choice is the Microsoft Zune. I love that thing.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My first phone was a Motorola phone, not a clam-shell, just a black phone in a blue case. I liked it, but wasn't overly crazy about it. Went to an LG, a clam-shell, called the Prom Queen (LG Vx8700) by Verizon. Great little phone. I used it as a phone, used it for my music when I walked at lunch. Used it for everything. I remember that Verizon would call me to remind me that my contract had expired and I was eligible for a new phone. Finally I told them that I loved my Prom Queen (that's truly what it was called....I'm serious) and that I wasn't ready to upgrade. And I did. I adored that little silver phone. Came in a little black velvet bag, too. I think I had it for about 4 years or so. 

And then I heard my first "DROID" ......and I got rid of the Prom Queen so fast it made your head spin. Loved my Droid X and had it for two years. And then went to the Droid Razr Maxx HD.

I would love a Droid Turbo now. But my contract doesn't expire until April and I think that, by then, I will have gotten over my Turbo thing. I do like my Razr Maxx HD, other than the camera. It doesn't take great pictures.

What was really interesting about the Prom Queen was that my co-workers made fun of it every chance they got.  "Hey, your PROM QUEEN is ringing!" And then they'd snicker. But when I upgraded to the Droid, one of my co-workers asked me if I'd consider selling the PQ to him as he needed a new phone and wasn't ready for a smart phone yet. I deleted all my stuff and just gave it to him. About a week after he had it, he came over to my office and said, "You know, that's a really nice little phone!" And it was. 

Last edited:

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We decided when I bought the first Mac that we wouldn't buy into replacing electronics every time they came up with a new feature. On my third Mac over a period of 19 years. The first one (1995) still works perfectly and has never been in the shop. Eventually new internet technology, increasingly incompatible software, and very little memory/storage made it obsolete. I keep it because there are things on it that I couldn't transfer to my second Mac. The first one lasted so long, there was no compatible software. Original inkjet printer and scanner still work as well. With the second one, the fan died suddenly and it overheated in a split second shortly after the extended warranty expired. The third one won't last long because Mac has changed its processor. It is designed not to last.

The first laser printer I bought ages ago but it is not compatible with my current Mac. I can print, but cannot scan or fax. HP refuses to cave in to Apple (which now requires downloaded software) and has only updated some of its printers. I worked in publishing and this printer has been an absolute workhorse for me, churning out roughly 20,000 pages a year. Not wanting to give up this printer, I was forced to buy a cheap compatible printer for scanning and OCR.

Cell phone was bought before flip phones were invented. Still works. Have been told never to get rid of it.

Kid gave me an iPod for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's a lemon, has always been difficult to use. It is a pain, and I'm on the verge of tossing it.

They just don't make things like they used to.

Last edited: