Monday's Question Of The Day - April 23, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to be good and post this before I head to bed tonight.

What was your first cat's name? How old were you when your first cat joined your family? Or how old was your cat if they came before you? ;)

I've been walking down memory lane a bit. It made me think of my very first cat. I was 2 when my mother adopted her and her name was Tinsel; short for Christmas Tinsel. She was a silvery gray and white mostly. She had some tabby markings on her; but they were not very noticeable so I've always considered her more of a gray and white tuxie. :lovecat:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casey was my family's first cat. She was black and white and we got her when I was 4 around 1990, I believe. It was only last year that I realized that the reason she was named Casey was because my dad refused to call her by the name I suggested (Kissy). Also, Casey had the same mother as three other cats we had, including my Willow who died this last August.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat was Pepper. My family adopted him from a Virginia Beach shelter in the summer of 1992, a month or two before my fifth birthday. He was solid grey.

I can remember suggesting to my parents that we also get a white cat and name it Salt :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat is Lelia! She was 4.5 months and I was (and still am) 34. :lovecat2:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My family always had cats, but the first cat we got that was "mine" joined the family when I was about 3.

He was a neutered male tuxedo kitten, about 6 months old, that came from some friends of my parents.

I named him Peter.

After we'd had him for about a year Peter had four kittens. Guess he wasn't a neutered male after all.

We managed to find homes for all but one of the kittens, another tuxedo we called Wellington. By the time we moved house a few years later Wellington had moved in with the people next door, but Peter stayed with us her whole life.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My very first cat was named Miss Muffet. She was a beautiful calico taht I had follow me home from school when I was about 7 or so, 1963. I knew mom wouldn't let me keep her, they were dog people, so I hid her in the garage for about a week until I was caught. I fed and watered her, had a litter box and bed, everything she needed. I knew about cats even back then. Mom took awhile, a lot of whining and promises, but she finally relented and let me keep her!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat was a orange Manx my cousin had given to me when I was 10 years old. He was my family's first cat and his name was Tommy. He was a very sweet cat and I guess that's why I love orange cats to this day.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mower. My parents bought our house about two years before my Mom was pregnant with me. The cat showed up one day meowing very loudly at my Mom. He hung around getting closer and closer until one day he moved in. He was not a fan when I came along and would frequently stretch out and just happen to smack me with his paws. Over the years he came to accept me and later my younger brother. He passed away when I was around 9.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flash was 6 when I was born. She passed away at age 14. For some reason, we were cat-less for about two years*. My parents didn't get another cat until a few weeks before I turned 10, probably because they were tired of listening to me pester them for a cat. :lol:

* Kind of. A family friend lived with us for a while, and so did her cat. That was the only time we had a boy cat.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My folks always had cats. The one I remember most was when I was about 4, a white cat named Trouble. When we moved from New Mexico to California, he climbed up the fireplace chimney and wouldn't come down.

We had to leave him there. The minister from the church we went to went over to the house every day to feed him and try to coax him down. Trouble finally did come down and the minister shipped him to us in California. That cat sure lived up to his name. :devilcat2:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my first cat's name was Suzie! she was a burmese mix kitty. i was no older than 5 years old, when my aunt gave me Suzie. i remember Suzie as an adult cat, but it's possible she joined the family as a kitten.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never had pets growing up. Or any worth talking about (turtles, fish). My parents were not animal lovers by a long shot.

My first cat was actually my ex-husbands - she came with him. Her name was Unique. She was a fat brown older tabby, with multiple toes on every foot. She also was a cranky cat - now many years later and removed from her I can understand there may have been reasons but at that time she was an annoyance, being honest about it.

Considering my one experience living with a cat back then wasn't the best, it's surprising I now have two. I always liked them, but until my two didn't really understand them. I sure do now. I've learned a LOT over the years about cats.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was a dog person most of my life. I grew up on a farm and we had barn cats. Some of them were tame enough to pet but they weren't really pets. My first cat was Patches and I was 46 when I got him. He passed this past January and was almost 16. I got Alice a few months later so he would have a buddy and I still have her. She is more vocal then she used to be when I come home from work so I think she does miss having a buddy when I am not home. She is almost 16 so I am not going to try to introduce another cat.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was born we had a dog, one of the first Siberian Huskies in the state of Colorado. She got cancer when I was nine or so (I think), and after she passed my mom picked up a stray she named Kittikins. You know, I don't remember what Kittikins looked like, probably tabby. I'm sure she was a DSH. Mostly I remember finding her in my underwear drawer one day with what looked (to my young eyes) like four nearly drowned mice. Yep! She'd had kittens. One tom and three females. The tom's father was obviously a Manx or Manx mix. I was very unhappy when my mother found homes for all of them.

Kittikins loved cars, and would sneak into the car every chance she got. Then when we drove somewhere the first we'd know that she was even along was when she jumped out at our destination and disappeared. The first time it happened she was lost around 20 miles from home, and we gave up on ever seeing her again, but several months later she showed up at home. The kittens arrived about a week later. The second time Kittikins stowed away she also ended up lost about 20 miles away, but this time she never did show up back home. We think that this time she got pregnant too soon and the kittens arrived while she was in transit, and either she found another family to adopt her or went feral. At least, that's what we hoped.

Margret

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've had dogs growing up with my family. My mom's allergic to cats and my dad never liked cats. Heck, I didn't like cats either growing up. Hated them in fact.. shows how much I knew about them then.

Monet's my first cat. I wandered into a shelter 9 years ago for a pick me up with puppies. (I was severely depressed at the time.. long story). Saw he was the only kitten there and very loud. I couldn't have a dog in my apartment, so I walked out with him in a carrier and never regretted it. He truly saved my life.

He was about 10 weeks old when I adopted him and I was 27.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, technically I consider a stray I found at my elementary school when I was a kid my first cat. She was a long hair tabby that I named Tessie but my mom wouldn't let me keep her. I wasn't allowed to have cats growing up because my grandmother lived with us and she hated cats. My first cat that lived with me for 19 years was Tama, a long hair orange tabby. I was 18 when I got him.

I found a photo of Tessie in my mom's things after she passed in 2014. I never knew she had taken a picture of her.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm told my first cat was a big tom named Midnight. My mother told me he would back up to my jumper swing so I could pull his tail. I really don't remember that because I was less than a year old.

My first real cat was Mouse, an Abyssinian mix who was a grouch all his life, probably because we really didn't know how to interact with a cat. A few months later, Streaker and Sunshine were born next door. They were Manx mixes and couldn't be different. They were both very loving. We becamee a multi-cat family and have been the way ever since.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents already had two cats named Maggie and Shadow when I was born. My first actual memory is of reaching for Shadow when I was really little.

My first cat that was just mine when I became an adult was Zephyr. I still have him.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my dad had shop cats prior to the first I remember having at home - we got our 2 for the house from one of the litters his shop cat Muffler had.

Mag & Battery ... keeping with the auto repair shop line of names. We had to bring Mag home first, he had a maggot in his neck (not why he got his name lol it was more for Mag wheels) and my mom took care of him. Battery was the only one left of the litter so we brought him home too.

They were some amazing cats for sure also. Battery lived to be 10 before he got a nasal tumor and had to be put down as he was no longer eating; Mag lived another year before succumbing to kidney failure at 11. Oddly enough, I lost both my cats last year to the same illnesses.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first kitty was Patches - I was preteen age. It was when my parents and I first moved to our own hobby farm, and the previous owner left their barn cat behind. He was a very elderly fellow and Patches was a tad skittish at the time and difficult to catch, so it wasn't out of lack of care for her. Thankfully, he thought he were a nice enough family to make sure she would be alright.

She was black and white, very nice kitty once she got used to us (I regularly bribed her with hot dog pieces) We made sure to spoil her :)