Momma does not appear to be stimulating 4 week old kittens.

dstuc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey!

I’ve got 3, 4 week old kittens - coming up on 5 weeks in a couple days though.

I set up a litter box with kitten safe litter in the room they spend the most time in. So far, they play in it instead of peeing in it (go figure). I also read that it’s good to put a tissue with some of their urine on it in the litter box so they can associate it with the scent.

ANYWAY that’s been set up for a couple of days, they have not seemed to use it at all. But now momma isn’t stimulating the kittens either. I stimulated them myself a little while ago and there was a TON of pee, it seemed never ending and I can only assume they were needing to go badly but their mother didn’t take care of it for them.

Is this common, just part of the process?
If not, what could be going on? How can I help?

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since kittens that age should be going potty by themselves, momma isn't gonna stimulate them. Does momma use the same litter box? It's also a good idea so let the litter box get messy (no scooping) so the kittens know that's where they go. Did you stimulate them over the litter box to get their scent in it? After every feeding, wait a bit to see if one needs to go potty. If you see one about to go, right away grab it put him in the litter box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dstuc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since kittens that age should be going potty by themselves, momma isn't gonna stimulate them. Does momma use the same litter box? It's also a good idea so let the litter box get messy (no scooping) so the kittens know that's where they go. Did you stimulate them over the litter box to get their scent in it? After every feeding, wait a bit to see if one needs to go potty. If you see one about to go, right away grab it put him in the litter box

No, she does not. She does not seem to like the litter, and the litter she prefers isn’t safe for kittens their age - but of a catch 22.
I’ve been stimulating them in their litter box, one of them has gone in it and appears to be trying to go to the bathroom but no waterworks.

Hoping they’ll get the hang of it soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dstuc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a helpful video:

Do you plan to spay your mother cat soon?
That’s the video I got the tissue idea from, helpful stuff for sure I think they’re just stubborn lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 4 weeks they are on the young side for litter training. Kittens catch on better around 6 weeks, so just be patient!