momma cat still looks preggo!

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding a momma cat and kittens for about three weeks, her kittens look about 6 weeks old. I've been trying to find a rescue to take them but alas no luck.http://www.thecatsite.com/t/326841/four-kittens

I'm a bit worried about momma, she gave birth weeks ago and still has a huge stomach. I'm sure she has worms, but I wasn't sure when I'd be able to give her medicine as she's still nursing. Is it normal for a momma cat to Still have a large stomach after giving birth weeks prior? She's acting completely normal. I know she can get pregnant almost instantly after giving birth and I have seen a tomcat around, though she attacked him and chased him off.but she's looked this big from the day I first saw her. If I can't find a rescue I at least want to spay momma and the kittens. I've been afraid of catching her because the kittens are still young and can't be away from her. It'd be much easier if I could bring them inside but it's unfortunately not possible as I have seven very territorial cats as well as a foster kitty in my spare room. Is a large stomach after giving birth normal? Crossing my fingers she doesn't get pregnant before I can fix her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be pregnant again if her kittens are already 6 weeks old. She may also be full of worms, or have some other infection. It's impossible to know at this point.

You need to catch or trap both mom and kittens - not necessarily all at once. If not, the kittens will be feral.

You said shelters were full in another thread. You should offer to foster them in your home in exchange for vet care and adoption help. You need to have conversations with rescues about fostering at this point.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our neighbor's cat had lost a lot of weight, & its owners couldn't figure out why. It regularly comes here for an extra bite to eat, and one of those times I noticed a tapeworm segment on its anus. so, I began adding Food Grade Diatomaceous earth to his food. . . .  One week later, he had regained all of the weight he had lost. . . .

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth / Fossil Shell Flour is used by many pet owners & farmers for improving their animal's digestion, killing parasites, and supplementing their diet with minerals.  (My husband only got over his eczema after adding FGDE to his diet, and he had the added bonus of hair beginning to sprout again on his bald spot!)  It absorbs the odor of whatever food it is mixed with, not really having any of its own, and can be added to either moist or dry food.

"What is Diatomaceous Earth & How Does it Work?"

http://earthcore.weebly.com/diatomaceous-earth.html

(This has info on its benefits for both humans & animals.)

We're in the process of trapping & neutering 7 feral to semi-feral cats, & I regularly put some FGDE in each of their family meals . . .

along with some Coconut oil . . . 

Coconut oil has all sorts of benefits, including: killing tiny internal parasites (like amoebas); killing a great many bacterial, viral, & fungal infections (it destroys the outer covering of those that have an outer covering they depend on for life); it is also a very effective anti-inflammatory. . . . 

You can read about it in Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog:

Coconut Oil: The “Good” Saturated Fat 

Two of our kittens recently became lethargic & stopped playing . . . only sleeping between meals, for about 3 days.  I began adding Coconut oil to the cat family's regimen, and they were back to playing full force in 2 days.  (They had acted like they'd come down with distemper, which I think killed my first kitten when I was a young girl, and nearly killed my family's cat a few years later).