Momma cat rejecting only living kitten?

Catgamer06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my 2 year old cat just gave birth three hours ago and baby kitty came out basically breeched (feet first) had a secon kitten 10 minutes later that was stillborn. Momma cat has been continuously cleaning all the while baby kitty has been trying to latch and get some milk from momma. This is her second liter (her first 3 (2 stillborn and 1 survived for a day - I hand bottle fed it) was back in July). Just wondering why momma cat won’t let baby latch and feed for awhile then rest. If momma rejects I plan on finding baby a foster momma because I cannot handle the pain of losing another kitten on my watch and I have a full time job trying to have enough to make sure she is spayed this time. (This is her last liter) any advice Is appreciated

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sad situation. The pain might be interfering with her ability to figure out what to do. Sometimes a stillborn can be revived by providing warmth and breathing light puffs towards the nostrils. Is shecleaning herself or trying to revive the lost baby? Make sure the tiny baby who's trying to latch stays warm. You can put rice or cornmeal into a sock and heat it & wrap in a soft cloth and add to the nest. You can also try to divert mama cat's attention by scratching her about the back of the ears and between her shoulders so that baby gets a chance to latch on. S/he really needs the colostrum from mom cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catgamer06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a sad situation. The pain might be interfering with her ability to figure out what to do. Sometimes a stillborn can be revived by providing warmth and breathing light puffs towards the nostrils. Is shecleaning herself or trying to revive the lost baby? Make sure the tiny baby who's trying to latch stays warm. You can put rice or cornmeal into a sock and heat it & wrap in a soft cloth and add to the nest. You can also try to divert mama cat's attention by scratching her about the back of the ears and between her shoulders so that baby gets a chance to latch on. S/he really needs the colostrum from mom cat.
Thank you for your advice, momma cat was just cleaning herself then the baby, then she started to clean the stillborn until it was almost raw. (Really sad to watch) I did try the method of scratching and latching but she just wiggles away. Tried called animal shelters and other places but all full or doesn’t offer or just closed.

Catgamer06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is the kitten today? Latched and nursing?
It’s still alive, I’m not sure if it latched while I was sleeping. I tried to manually latch it myself but it wouldn’t. Momma was open for it to nurse but no latching in my presence. Any advice for it to latch?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! You’ll need to syringe feed this kitten every couple of hours with kitten formula until it is strong enough to latch and suckle. Smear honey or Karo syrup on its gums for quick energy. Have you weighed the kitten?
C Catgamer06

Catgamer06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear! You’ll need to syringe feed this kitten every couple of hours with kitten formula until it is strong enough to latch and suckle. Smear honey or Karo syrup on its gums for quick energy. Have you weighed the kitten?
C Catgamer06
I have! Momma cat has been cleaning it and such, and it pooped today! I have not weighed it yet tho

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have! Momma cat has been cleaning it and such, and it pooped today! I have not weighed it yet tho
So when you weight, does the kitten adds? How much per day?

Sometimes its not easy to see if a suckling kitten gets anything; so weighting them (in the beginning perhaps even every 12 hours) is the easiest way to notice if they DO get mommas milk, or not...

10+ grammes a day is good, if its much less; you start to worry.