Momma Cat May Not Be Licking Bottoms Of Her Kittens

Knight XAura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i took in a stray cat last night that had been hanging around at my nana’s and she wouldn’t leave anymore as of last night. She asked me to take her and find her a home. Warned me she appears pregnant. Well I took her home and made her a place in my bathroom for the night since it seemed most appropriate that only one cat had a problem with her and I was leaving for a birthday party. I came home she was sleeping and I woke up around 10:30 and went to my bathroom to check on her and there were meows and I peek over and I see a kitten. She had 5 kittens.

Kiara as I named the mom (keeping my Lion King theme alive) was outside I’m willing to bet most if not all her pregnancy but is definitely not an outdoor by day as she is very well house trained. So she’s a bit skinny, she seems very happy though, feeds her kittens though I’m unsure how much they are getting from her but I know she’s trying.

My concern is how much they are getting as I’ve seen no feces and I did the massage on all 5 and only got one to poop and it was an okay poop. I got 4 to pee but I’m pretty sure all are peeing. I’m just worried about bowel movement. I’ve yet to see her lick her kittens bottoms but I’m not always in there of course and I did read sometimes mom’s will eat there newborns feces I assume because with trying to get them to do these things they can’t just stop they have to keep going.

Can someone give any advise. I’m worried about these kittens. Kiara surprisingly does not mind me touching her babies at all with as little as she knows me. She’s again very well behaved and doing everything else she’s supposed to be doing.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You won't see feces until they're older. The mother eats it as she's grooming them. Gross but necessary to keep the nesting area clean. Keep an eye on them, as long as their bellies don't get hard she's most likely doing her job.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding mom cat kitten food? She needs the extra calories, protein, and fat for mil production. Or if you can find some powdered kitten Milk Replacement, you could put out a saucer or two every day for her as long as she is nursing the kittens. Also, so she can reach a normal weight while still nursing.

Thans for tanig her in! Keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight XAura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m gonna hopefully have a vehicle tomorrow to get kitten food but til then I been giving kitten wet food I had laying around.

It was my pleasure to take her in. I just want the kittens to be alright. Doing the best I can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight XAura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m unsure mom is drinking water though I’ll have a better idea when I get home tomorrow. I’ve seen her over by it but appears to just look at it dip her paw in it and then walk away.