Momma Cat is sleeping outside of nesting box/Litter training kitten

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good. Cats can have several different daddies with their babies and can mate a few days apart, so the kittens will be born apart too. I always watched them and as long as they were content, not acting stressed, not meowing, and pacing, everything is normal. I pray everything is normal.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please bare with me, i’m new to this whole kitten thing. How often should i change the blankets in the nesting box? I already changed the birthing blanket out.

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would be enough for a while, mama will keep the kittens cleaned up (their excrement) so changing often isn't necessary, just when it looks dirty. You are doing wonderfully!
I wasn’t sure because i still have the puppy pads (new) down under the blanket too lol!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mama will eat all their wate until they start on cat food. Then they should be old enough to use the litter box. Around 4 weeks. I used cardboard flats for their first litter box. Free and you can change them often. Liquor stores have them. And grocery stores. Nonclumping litter only, sometimes kittens eat litter and clumping can kill them if it hardens in their stomach.

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question, when can i start handling the kittens? I do pick them up to change their blankets but that’s about it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 4 week old kitten that did that little huff hiss got nicknamed Huff&puff .... 3 years later and that nip happy kitty still gets called that occasionally! 🤣

For the kittens if you can do daily weigh ins (if mon tolerates it) it will let you monitor their health. The kitten lady has used a spatula to remove the kitten when the mom was feral (she has videos of this on YouTube.)

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anytime, just watch mama. If she starts getting upset, put them back. I think it is SO cute when they hiss at you, and their eyes aren't even open!
A lot of them try to hiss at me and i’m just like “ohhh you’re so scary” 😂😂

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The 4 week old kitten that did that little huff hiss got nicknamed Huff&puff .... 3 years later and that nip happy kitty still gets called that occasionally! 🤣

For the kittens if you can do daily weigh ins (if mon tolerates it) it will let you monitor their health. The kitten lady has used a spatula to remove the kitten when the mom was feral (she has videos of this on YouTube.)
I can definitely see them getting bigger, i haven’t done weighs in but i can tell a difference 😂

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is just going to be the thread where i ask any questions i have about the kittens lol😂
Todays question: The black kitten (whom we didn’t name. so if you have any name suggestions for any of the kittens lmk) always squeaks (loudly) when i pick him up. But as soon as i put him back he stops and he’s the only one that does it. Is there a reason why?

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is just going to be the thread where i ask any questions i have about the kittens lol😂
Todays question: The black kitten (whom we didn’t name. so if you have any name suggestions for any of the kittens lmk) always squeaks (loudly) when i pick him up. But as soon as i put him back he stops and he’s the only one that does it. Is there a reason why?
He probably just doesn't like being picked up. He's teensy weensy and you're a scary giant 😹

How about naming him Squeak?

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know i’m not there yet and neither are the kittens but my vet told me to buy some kitten formula and mix a little bit in with their water. They have this at my local store or the have the actual kitten formula, which one is better?

Attachments