Momma Cat is sleeping outside of nesting box/Litter training kitten

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just had 3 of 5 babies last night. She’s been with them pretty much all day, except when she got up to eat/drink and use the litter box. But now she’s laying outside of the nesting box where the babies are.. is this normal?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mom might just need a brief break from the kittens. As long as she's nursing the kittens and taking care of them I wouldn't worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom might just need a brief break from the kittens. As long as she's nursing the kittens and taking care of them I wouldn't worry.
She ended up going back after 20 or so minutes 😊

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When i took my cat to the vet, the ultrasound picked up 5 babies. She had 3 this morning (i don’t know the exact time she had them)… she isn’t straining and she doesn’t look uncomfortable. I believe this is her first litter. Is it normal for them to rest a while when laboring even if their are more kittens?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When i took my cat to the vet, the ultrasound picked up 5 babies. She had 3 this morning (i don’t know the exact time she had them)… she isn’t straining and she doesn’t look uncomfortable. I believe this is her first litter. Is it normal for them to rest a while when laboring even if their are more kittens?
Sorry I don’t know much of this subject anymore as the last litter I helped with was over 20 years ago, but hopefully someone will chime in soon. I think by now she should have had all the kittens.

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I don’t know much of this subject anymore as the last litter I helped with was over 20 years ago, but hopefully someone will chime in soon. I think by now she should have had all the kittens.
Apparently they can have a resting period 24-36 and then start again… i’m hoping that’s it

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been written on this forum that there can be a pause of several hours between kittens, but the only time it happened to one of my cats, I took her and the newborns to the vet. I could see more kittens moving around in her belly. The vet gave her a shot, and she delivered the remainder of the kittens on the way home.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is perfectly normal for a cat to pause between births for a day or several days. Just be patient. The other babies should come over the next day or 2-3, when they and her body are ready. It could be they were conceived a few days apart depending on when she mated. If she is not in distress just wait it out. Keep us posted!

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is perfectly normal for a cat to pause between births for a day or several days. Just be patient. The other babies should come over the next day or 2-3, when they and her body are ready. It could be they were conceived a few days apart depending on when she mated. If she is not in distress just wait it out. Keep us posted!
Lord have mercy thank you. It’s a sunday and i’m all worried over here because no vets are open and i don’t want to take her to an emergency vet. All i could find on google was then taking a break 24-36 hours and i did a live chat with a vet and she said 24hr too.

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m going to assume that the time to take her the vet if i don’t see any babies coming is by Tuesday or if she shows signs of discomfort, straining, bleeding or anything like that that seems abnormal?

CK_farm22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been written on this forum that there can be a pause of several hours between kittens, but the only time it happened to one of my cats, I took her and the newborns to the vet. I could see more kittens moving around in her belly. The vet gave her a shot, and she delivered the remainder of the kittens on the way home.
When you took them all to the vet how did you get all of them into a carrier?