Mom Visiting.... Cat Not Happy

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Molly is 8 and we’ve had her for 6 months. She has adjusted well thus far. My mom came to visit us ( will be staying for 3 months) and Molly was fine at first introduction but next morning Mom came into living room alone and Molly was taken by surprise I guess. Molly growled and hissed. She hissed every time Mom walks by for 2 days but now doesn’t hiss and will be in the same room but Molly isn’t eating her wet food.. yesterday she only ate small amount of dry. She will eat treats but obviously we don’t give her many. She seems normal other than that... same sleeping with me and runs through house after Mom goes to bed to play. In a week the whole family with grandkids comes to stay for a week. I am thinking of putting Molly’s food in a spare room she is comfy in and will move to that room myself due to my fam taking my own bedroom due to space. Any other suggestions? Terrible how my stomach is in knots instead of excitement for Christmas and family coming

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly is fearful of your mom and therefore growls and hisses. Some cats are just like that with strangers. It probably is good to move her into a separate room during the time you have holiday visitors. But I also wouldn’t worry about her too much , she will be just fine and won’t starve herself.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think moving her during the mayhem is a wonderful idea. Cats who are accustomed to a quiet household can be easily over set when visitors come, especially young, active, noisy visitors. Now, if the grand-kids are old enough to understand and to respect rules, you MIGHT try leaving the door opened a crack so that she can, SHOULD SHE CHOOSE, venture out when things are quiet, but if they are very young, or not respecters of boundaries, just keep the door closed, and give Molly lots of love and attention whenever possible.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to put my cats in a room when my brother comes over. They are fine as long as they have everything they need in there. Besides, if your cat is an escape artist like mine, this prevents them escaping outside with all the opening and closing of doors when visitors come over.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, same with my 4 cats when my mom or anyone comes to stay. i do normally make sure they have food, water and a litterbox in a quite room, my bedroom, so they can go hide if they want. everyone knows not to go in there and bother them. i leave the door cracked so they can come and go if they want. they normally hide the first day or two, then run in and out checking everyone out after that. lol it can be stressful. but it usually works out much better than i fear. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Molly is fearful of your mom and therefore growls and hisses. Some cats are just like that with strangers. It probably is good to move her into a separate room during the time you have holiday visitors. But I also wouldn’t worry about her too much , she will be just fine and won’t starve herself.
Thank you for the reassurance... my hubby says the same... I just am the worry wart

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol, same with my 4 cats when my mom or anyone comes to stay. i do normally make sure they have food, water and a litterbox in a quite room, my bedroom, so they can go hide if they want. everyone knows not to go in there and bother them. i leave the door cracked so they can come and go if they want. they normally hide the first day or two, then run in and out checking everyone out after that. lol it can be stressful. but it usually works out much better than i fear. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Thanks for your response! On a good note, Molly has laid on my chest at night 4 days in a row.. been hoping she would one of these days!

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response! On a g
I think moving her during the mayhem is a wonderful idea. Cats who are accustomed to a quiet household can be easily over set when visitors come, especially young, active, noisy visitors. Now, if the grand-kids are old enough to understand and to respect rules, you MIGHT try leaving the door opened a crack so that she can, SHOULD SHE CHOOSE, venture out when things are quiet, but if they are very young, or not respecters of boundaries, just keep the door closed, and give Molly lots of love and attention whenever possible.
yeah, 2 are older but tag a long is only age 2 but I don’t think she will go in the room if we tell her

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

yeah, 2 are older but tag a long is only age 2 but I don’t think she will go in the room if we tell her to stay out. Our other two cats adored my mom so this is throwing me for a loop but again, Molly is 8 and we didn’t raise her from kitten stage like our two former cats.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to put my cats in a room when my brother comes over. They are fine as long as they have everything they need in there. Besides, if your cat is an escape artist like mine, this prevents them escaping outside with all the opening and closing of doors when visitors come over.
Makes me feel better it’s not just Molly!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah, 2 are older but tag a long is only age 2 but I don’t think she will go in the room if we tell her
She's two. Her brain is in the here and now, holding a rule about not doing something in her head is not likely possible, especially with something cute and fuzzy on the other side of the door. Think about the rules for not opening an adult's purse, how many kids go to the hospital because of the candy looking medication in Grandma's purse?

Buy child locks for the door and use them religiously, no matter how inconvenient they are. That'll keep the cat and the kid safe from each other.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's two. Her brain is in the here and now, holding a rule about not doing something in her head is not likely possible, especially with something cute and fuzzy on the other side of the door. Think about the rules for not opening an adult's purse, how many kids go to the hospital because of the candy looking medication in Grandma's purse?

Buy child locks for the door and use them religiously, no matter how inconvenient they are. That'll keep the cat and the kid safe from each other.
Agreed!! I def will be a hawk watching the whole situation!

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Or worse. Territory marking.
EEK! Haven’t seen that! Molly is not hissing at all anymore and even lays in the family room when we are all in there including Mom so all is good. She ate all her food last night. Next hurdle ... Christmas week but am hoping the isolation into the room she naps in will help her thru it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, that is good news! I know that your mom feels better now that she isn't eliciting hisses for no reason that she can see! Let us know how the holidays go for her!

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good timing ha! Mom just came in from laying in the sun and Molly came up to her to smell her hand

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Made it thru Christmas week! Go figure she wanted to hang out under the tree I decorate with candy so the kids would get hissed at when they got candy... which their mom prolly liked lol. She then hung out in the spare room with the door cracked and the two year old didn’t bother her at all ... when everyone left she raced thru the house in glee