Mom Severed Half Of Kittens Tail Off :(

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merry Christmas
3 weeks old in a few days, all healthy nursing, doing their business, super fat
mom loves nursing 24/ 7 for the last few days one seemed not able to settle in.
Assumed a minor boob fight here and there. Change blanket every 2nd day....finally
Found one with half a tail with a swollen kink on end covered with skin no blood or openings
but hair missing near end tip, t 3 /4 of an inch. Now from reading heard use a warm hot compress
rather than cold.
Cannot locate any scabs yet.....I truly think mom did during delivery swollen slight infection Im sure hair will grow back. ? (7)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the tail tip. If the infection increases, antibiotics will be needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both, Honestly all were checked for body parts at birth but being so tiny all dark markings I didn't notice anything different. Delivery went well. Never noticed anything odd...I will take a pic today. Mom and babies have a huge rottie crate for privacy.

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, you're absolutely right, inflammation has gone down. :yess: You and Norachan :rock:
Caught younger Kitty lying beside crate fully extending leg paws in through crate door to play,
nails needed trimming....:eek2: didn't notice shorter tail until growing spurt. (tried to change title :frustrated: :paperbag:)

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update a little stub of tail dropped off :( still super cute, ( didn't expect more loss )

20171230_151111.jpg

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you may want to take the little one to a vet and make sure it doesn’t need antibiotics. You don’t want the infection to spread.
Thanks talking peanut that was my worry from beginning. Watching very closely, washing with Saleen, using poly ointment. Looks clean circulation is good, not swollen, watching close take in if necessary asap.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please take him in now, well after holiday, just to be on the safe side. So often "if necessary" is too late. I have always believe in "better safe than sorry".

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dead piece has fallen off (with bumps)now it's healing :cheerleader: hair will never grow on the very end but will
return where missing. Doing very well so far.... *clinic said to watch if there is inflamation or bothering him signs of more serious infection then need shots.... thanks everyone!

Last edited: