Mom of orange tabby kittens - question

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that we should have Mama cat trapped, cross your fingers, by this Saturday! Now I think she is already pregnant. The shelter we are going to bring her to will handle the spay, etc. and would keep her, if she is too far along, until she has the kittens and they are weaned. Then she would be spayed, tested and given all her shots.

Either we will take her back or maybe if she had to be at the shelter for a longer period of time she could be considered socialized enough to be put up for adoption herself. She loves my Mom and not only comes for food but also for loving. So, the chaces I think are good.

They kittens would stay at the shelter, get spayed /neutered, etc. and then be put up for adoption.

Now this is one scenario but my question is, how far along is too far along. How far along can she be for them to still perform the spay? Could I tell by looking at her?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Helen,

It really depends on the vet and their policy. Mine will do it up the day before the momcat is due. NOW he DOES NOT do this as a rule and DOES NOT like doing it, but he will if the circumstances are there.

Case in point a few years ago and big rescue went on for a feral colony pretty much living uncheckedfor years in an old abandoned grain warehouse. The colony had inbred to the point of the survivors of past litters had birth defects- blindness, tumors, etc. The colony also was diagnosed with distemper. One of the females ended up with me- I still have her to this day- but anyway, she was very pregnant. I took her in and we discussed the options which were bleak- and I made a tough hard choice and asked him to do a spay removal on her.

I feel I made the right choice given the circumstances, and had she been a domestic kitty healthy and just pregnant, he would of never had conceded to my wishes.