Mom loses money when visiting friend

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom often visits her best friend. They're both 88 years old. Her friend lives with her tomboy daughter and her partner. Twice my mom returned home with her wallet empty. According to her, she leaves her bag in her friend's bedroom when it's time to eat, and does not recall giving away money. I want to have a talk with her friend, but my mom has forbidden it. 

The sad part is that it is only now I found out about it. My mom has been going there for years. 

Good grief...

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no that's awful your poor mam!

If I was here I'd only be taking s very small amount of money with me or it in coins

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stick in a really fake bill  and keep the real one on me somewhere.  I also would limit ANYTHING I do bring over.  can they meet somewhere instead?  Is the other lady well cared for?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it is likely the daughter or her partner are taking the money, no one has actually seen it happen, so it's best not to make accusations.  Your Mom is elderly and enjoys going to visit her friend. You speaking to the friend could ruin their friendship, and that would be a sad thing.

Why can't her friend visit her for a change?

Another suggestion is that your Mom not take her whole purse with her. Instead she should take a small  fanny pack and keep it on her while she is there.  She can have her keys and her money in the fanny pack.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she can't leave her money at home when she visits l would just take a few coins for emergency.

I would tell her not to take anything of sentimental value in her bag as well,  because it sounds suspicious that it's happened before?!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just tell your mom to keep her purse in her car or leave all her money at home :nod:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Yayi, I'm so sorry for your Mom. I would take just enough money with me in case I needed it for an emergency. And then keep that amount in the locked glove box of the car. I wouldn't take anything in the friend's house at all, other than the car keys....and I'd keep them with me at all times. That's just really sad.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really sad. People who take advantage and steal like that are just awful.
I second the advice for her take the minimum of money with her. She has to do something, but if talking to her friend is out, then at least she's got to try to protect herself.
Does she drive herself there or take public transportation? I'm wondering why she needs to bring much money with her.