Mom is a Flame Point, Father is a Birman

PhatKat143

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a specific breed I can call this little precious mix? The top of her ears are white with black patches.
IMG_20200804_175914_987.jpg
IMG_20200714_190829.jpg
inCollage_20200714_224613721.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely girl!

I would describe your girl as a seal tortie point and white domestic shorthair. Although she has slightly long hairs in the photo, I think she is probably a shorthair because her tail isn't fluffy. How old is she? Sometimes kittens or young cats develop longer hair as they mature.

Most cats aren't any particular breed. Flame point (also known as red point) is a color, not a breed. I'm guessing mom is probably a flame point domestic shorthair, since your girl appears shorthaired?

Is dad a pedigreed Birman, or is he a longhaired pointed cat with white feet that resembles a Birman? The Birman breed is rare, but it's fairly common for cats to look similar to that breed.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the Oriental Shorthair breeder I'm getting my foundation cats from claims longhair carriers will ever-so-slightly exhibit the trait. In other words, longhair is not fully recessive.

If this cat is half Birman, it definitely carries longhair, so this could be a longhair carrier simply showing what's underneath.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the Oriental Shorthair breeder I'm getting my foundation cats from claims longhair carriers will ever-so-slightly exhibit the trait. In other words, longhair is not fully recessive.
Sometimes longhair carriers have a slightly fluffier or softer coat, but this is not always the case. I have had longhair carriers with a short hard coat. I've also had homozygous shorthair cats with a fluffy "longhair carrier" type of coat. Some breeders will tell you that they can always tell without a genetic test... but that's not reliable, so if you don't know for sure, it's best to actually do the test. Just for your future reference :)

Last edited: