Mom cat not grooming kittens or herself

nancy5681

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering a stray mom and her 6 3 week old kittens.  Trapped from a backyard but now mom is friendly.  She has not once groomed her kittens and I have not seen her groom herself.  The kittens poop and pee wherever because she is not cleaning them up.  I have clumping litter in her litter box and it gets caught on their tails and all four of her feet are caked with it.  I have a little litter box with clay litter in it for when the kittens are ready to eat on their own, maybe 4 weeks, but I'm wondering if I should switch out HER litter to clay also.

Should I get wipes (for cats) and clean them daily?  Some have things caked to the bottom of their feet and lower legs.

I have never had a mom not groom her babies before and am sort of at a loss..

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

I am fostering a stray mom and her 6 3 week old kittens.  Trapped from a backyard but now mom is friendly.  She has not once groomed her kittens and I have not seen her groom herself.  The kittens poop and pee wherever because she is not cleaning them up.  I have clumping litter in her litter box and it gets caught on their tails and all four of her feet are caked with it.  I have a little litter box with clay litter in it for when the kittens are ready to eat on their own, maybe 4 weeks, but I'm wondering if I should switch out HER litter to clay also.

Should I get wipes (for cats) and clean them daily?  Some have things caked to the bottom of their feet and lower legs.

I have never had a mom not groom her babies before and am sort of at a loss..
is this for a shelter or rescue group? if so, you should contact them. what litter are you using?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You say, the kittens hasnt problems with eliminating?   This is a major issue if mom isnt grooming them.   

Re the litter, I agree with your idea to switch the litter to some non clumping variation. (clay is non clumping yes?)  you perhaps can have some of papper pellets, or corn made pellets.  It wont fasten either.

I agree also to Detmuts proposal you contact and seek advice from the group you are cooperating with.  If there are several experienced fosterers, someboyd may have a solution too.

I can agree you try and clean them off yourself, it it doesnt bother the mom.  Maybe the instinct will kick in.  They can learn from others, especielly if she sees a friend in you.

Also, if they eliminate themselves, its surely soily in the nest.  Another reason both to change often, and wipe of them regularly...

Often when mom isnt  washing her nor kittens properly, she is not well. Depressed or has some health problems... How does she seems otherwise?

Some ideas, without a clear cut answer yet, so far.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nancy5681

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for helping!

I fed the mom a little tuna juice this morning and she lapped it right up.   I'm going to take one kitten and put a little tuna juice on it and see what happens.  I'll be right there to see if mom licks it off and if not I can clean the kitten myself.  Can't hurt, right?

Nancy

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only bad thing is if she doesn't, then you will have a STINKY ungroomed kitten!
You are doing a wonderful thing, I wish you all the luck!

nancy5681

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

This is for a rescue group I have been with for a couple of years.  I sent around an email and received the suggestions .  I'll  be trying some tuna juice on one kitten to see if that might work.

nancy5681

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.  I changed the litter to non-clumping clay and am going to try a little of the tuna juice on one baby to see if it has any effect.  The mom is not at all depressed.  She's kind of oblivious to the kittens.  She'll lay on them without paying any attention to them until they cry and then she moves.  She feeds them just fine, just no clean up.  We'll see!