mom cat is getting over infection and she cries when nursing

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is weaning coming along? Do you know how the other 2 kittens are doing? And is Skittles feeling more comfortable even though she knows that Dotty & crew are in the home? The picture of Dotty nursing her kits on your lap is so precious- it shows that she considers you to be her protector (and indeed you are because it was your love & dedication that saved Dotty from a horrible death and kept the entire family from perishing).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well they are all eating kibble and I ran out of KMR. But I was able to make one bottle last 24 hours so I think they are weaned lol. Skittles is doing good. She won't go by the door to retrieve her fox toy to play fetch but she is playing handball in her giant cardboard box. The other two kittens are doing well as far as I know.
The shelter called and they are ready to take the kittens but they aren't old enough yet to be brought in.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weaned! Congratulations! I am so glad that Skittles is doing well and playing again. Is the rescue going to get Dotty spayed soon? Now that she is healthy, she can enjoy her babies for at least the next few weeks. I hope that someone adopts her along with one of her children.

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope she goes with a baby as well. I might get her fixed if they don't take them before my scheduled appointment at the vet later this month. I don't know what to do (ethically) with the GoFundMe money I raised if I don't use it for vet bills!
PXL_20221011_022111760.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please get mom fixed this month if possible. The money will be put to good use and mom will have a brighter, healthier future.

If not, donate the Go Fund Me money to the shelter to pay for their spays and other care. Also, let the shelter know you think that mom needs to go with one of her babies.

dethstryke dethstryke

Last edited:

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha they all fit and didn't make any noise when we drove to the vet to find out that I had the date wrong and the appointment is on the 21st and they were closed for training today lol

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
received_2237420319779173.jpeg

The kittens have been donated to the shelter as of Wednesday. An old coworker of mine adopted the solid grey boy kitten at the last minute so his cat has someone to play with. I donated the remaining money ($125 cash) to the shelter and a gentleman was getting a cat and obviously had no supplies so I gave him my extra carrier I bought to transport the kittens to the vet and to the shelter. Since I don't need two. I miss them and I cried a little when leaving the shelter, but I know they will be adopted because they are good kitties and dotty is a great cat.
PXL_20221026_170630050.jpg

Thanka go out to all who contributed both financially and with advice! I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to help them as much as I did without the help I got here and from the vet.

In summary, seven kittens and a one year old mom with mastitis, four were adopted, mom completely healed, all healthy kittens with no health issues, and one trashed spare bedroom that needs to be renovated. All in a whirlwind two months. I raised over 800 dollars to help care for them and almost every cent was used for food, litter, stress care for my permanent cat, and vet bills.

Thank you all so much!

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Final update! All the kittens and the mom have finally been adopted!!! The three kittens were adopted out around December, one was adopted before this photo was taken and the final two kittens were adopted together!!! Which is wonderful as if you look in the photos I've shared, they were constantly playing together and were good friends.

The mom got adopted shortly before the end of January! I'm so happy she has a home now where she will be fed, pet, kept warm, and doesn't have to sleep in the cold or wonder where to get food. Thanks for all the advice and help when I needed to fix her mastitis and any questions I had. I hope this thread will be useful to anyone who has a bad mastitis situation like I had.

Attachments