mom cat is getting over infection and she cries when nursing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would also ask about possibly switching to Clavamox, which is a gram positive and gram negative antibiotic. Also, Clindamycin is excellent at healing skin infections. Please specifically ask the vet about both meds by name. I would try everything before euthanasia. And please ask for pain relief for her. She desperately needs it.

dethstryke dethstryke

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. It's ultra gnarly but the lower pus sack has drained and now all sorts of things are visible in the hole. I have been giving her warm towel covering with my fingers and moving the kittens when they get too close to the site.

The kittens are doing great but are getting kinda dirty. I need to give them a bath soon.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What?! Seriously??!! Oh my gosh, I've been envisioning the absolute worst !!

So, what are you feeding her to help her gain weight :)?

Oh, what did they think of the vacuum cleaner?

Last edited:

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What?! Seriously??!! Oh my gosh, I've been envisioning the absolute worst !!

So, what are you feeding her to help her gain weight :)?

Oh, what did they think of the vacuum cleaner?
I have been feeding her these hill diet a/d good.
Her eyes were HUGE but the kittens were piled on her and they were sleeping.

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PXL_20220907_031534239.jpg
I REPEAT, THIS IS GNARLY. This is her progress. The black parts are necrotic tissue that falls off eventually and puss and stuff comes out. I use warm water and gently clean the area and using a folded into a square sheet of paper towel, I place it over the area for a while and change the compress out and do it more until she stops me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will the skin knit itself back together or will she eventually need stitches to close the hole?

Did you ask about Clindamycin? It helps to heal skin issues.

That is the worst case of mastitis I’ve ever seen, but glad she is healing and will survive this ordeal.

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's what the vet has to say today.
I'm not sure if it will need stitches or not. That is a mystery for when she drops all the dead flesh.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry, but I am unable to get anything from the link you posted.

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I am unable to get anything from the link you posted.
It's the same photo as the spoiler post. It's just really gross so I blurred the image on the email screenshot so people can look at the page while eating and not want to vom lol

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In reply a question from CatsKnowMe in the other thread for Dotty, I am feeding them liquid KMR from bottles using the Miracle Nipple Mini. They latch on so fast compared to the nipples that were supplied with the bottles.

My routine is this: groggily wake up and go to the kitchen, get the KMR from the fridge, shake it up and pour it into two bottles up to the 4th line, then put the KMR back in the fridge. I then put the bottles, without the nipples on, in the microwave for 15 seconds, shake them up and test the temp on my lower lip skin (the soul patch area lol) and microwave the bottles in short bursts until it feels warm enough. My digital thermometer broke and I don't feel safe using the thermometer attachment on my multimeter to test the milk lolol. I have a 250ml lab ware beaker with pour spout I found at work that I fill with warm to hot water, I put the nipples on the bottles, and bring all the supplies to the spare bedroom.

I feed the kittens as they pee and crawl all over me making hiff hiff noises and mews, and transfer them to a rectangular blue bucket as they get fed to keep track.

By this time the water has cooled a little and I tear a select-a-size sheet of white paper towel off the roll I keep in the spare bedroom and fold it into a 2x2 square and completely saturate it, letting the excess run back into the water and then giving it a gentle squeeze so it's still wet. I then press it gently on the area while the cat is looking at me like ???.

I observe the towel lining the boxes and will flip it over if it's dirty or replace it with another towel if it's already been flipped so she is laying on something that isn't covered in pus, poop, or blood. I get the towels from my job at the thrift store for free by the garbage bag as they are not in great condition or have a stain so we can't sell them. I then pet the kittens and Dotty and gather all the wreckage of the feeding and throw it away.

Then I bring the bottles and beaker to the kitchen and clean the bottles that are low enough to throw the excess away or put the leftover milk bottle in the fridge. I clean the nipples and let everything air dry.

At 12 am and pm, I give Dotty 2ml of Amoxicillin oral suspension and she usually takes it well. Only sometimes do I have to give her a bit more as she shook her head and lost half a ml or so.

I basically do this routine all day every 2-3 hours. Mom and dad, who live a few blocks away come and help sometimes and will buy formula for me as I don't have a car.

Needless to say I am tired. Hahaha

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PXL_20220908_030837104.jpg
WARNING: GROSS SCABBY AREA!
Dotty is doing very well and it appears the big gaping hole towards her back legs is shrinking. The nipple is no longer hard skin and the two scabbed up necrotic tissue are about to fall off. The compresses are a key thing with this. I probably should write a how to manage severe mastitis post when this is all over.

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dotty is a stray cat that my neighbor and I took in so she could give birth safely. I am now stuck with seven kittens and a mom cat in a spare bedroom so dotty doesn't attack my cat Skittles. This has happened twice so far where dotty runs at Skittles.

I am unsure when to start weaning these kittens, they are now 3 weeks and 1 day old. Dotty had a nasty awful mastitis case that is healing nicely, but she wasn't feeding as much for a while. I suspect she is producing milk but I am still bottle feeding the kittens. She is now laying with her belly to the ground and I think she's trying to wean them but who knows. It seems like she never drinks her water and is very hungry for wet food.
Also I'm not sure if she is teaching the kittens how to use the litter or not.

The kittens are starting to gnaw on my fingers and are starting to play with each other but still aren't fully steady. Some have their little teeth starting. Some are still like HELL YEA BOTTLE TIME while others are like hmm yes a bottle. I'll take a few sips and then I'm done. It's things like that which makes me wonder if Dotty is producing milk for them.

It's all very stressful. How do I help her wean the kittens? Are they ready for it? Dry or wet food?? How do I stop her from attacking my cat? When can I sleep? Am I trapped? Will I be able to go out of state with my parents to see my brothers?? Will I have to do this routine for the rest of my days and become a cat dad who has no life or sleep??

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, kittens begin weaning from 5-8 weeks old so it might be that the finger nibbling is a combination of teething, baby curiosity and perhaps they are weaning early. You can see if they have an interest in linking formula or a tiny bit of canned baby food off your finger. Weaning too early is possible but can promote the annoying habit of "wool sucking" in adulthood. Dotty will probably be defensive about Skittles for quite some time since other male cats sometimes kill tiny kittens so that the mother will go into heat and have his kittens instead; it happens in most mammals, including dogs and horses. As Dotty heals, she probably will want to nurse her kittens and as long as it doesn't interfere with her healing, it should be fine.
To prepare for weaning, I would get puppy pads and start saving small, shallow lids because kittens are prone to walk through their food. It's much easier to control the mess by using a lid with gruel on top of a puppy pad. In 2-3 weeks, you will basically be home free. Myself, I give kittens a bedtime of 8 or 9 o'clock and put them in a dog crate and cover it with a blanket. Expect some protest mews and time them; 15 minutes can seem like eternity but I wait at least that long before checking on them. It might be harder to do a schedule with Dotty there - I do feral rescue and having a mama kitty present is very rare for me.
I can't recall if I shared this guide from University of Wisconsin shelter medicine or not:
Library