Mom Cat got heavily depressed and left garden week after 10 weeks old kitten given away from her

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so basically last week I gave away 10 weeks old kittens and mom cat got depressed, slept most of the time, not eaten much and now left our garden. She also got cold towards me, like lost trust in me literally, which got even me depressed, but I had to give out kittens fearing nobody will want them later on, as I had people trying to get them from me when they were 7-8 weeks telling me they dont want older kittens. so last week saturday I took them away and gave it to people who answered the ad. then she looked like she knows I took them away, because she was miauwing at me under my window for couple of nights. I feel heartbroken and I am sure she is even more.
and now a week later she appears she left the garden, and last 3 days I only saw her once or twice, where before she was always hanging out here.
I was wondering, what would happen if I left them with mom, they would leave by themselves or stayed in our garden? depending if they are male or female? Also, they were her 3rd litter, and before she seemed to deal with it little better.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so sad. Animals grieve just like we do. Could you "borrow" back one of her kittens for a few days? That might help her see they are okay.

Then get her spayed ASAP. She can't go on getting pregnant like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's so sad. Animals grieve just like we do. Could you "borrow" back one of her kittens for a few days? That might help her see they are okay.

Then get her spayed ASAP. She can't go on getting pregnant like that.
thanks, well I tried but I can't unfortunately. might spay once it is possible, but I read giving away 10 weeks old kitten is ok, but obviously isnt

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try to trap this mom cat and get her spayed. She Was likely in heat and left your place in search of a mate. She will probably return when she is ready to deliver another litter. If you care about her the try to make sure this doesn’t happen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please try to trap this mom cat and get her spayed. She Was likely in heat and left your place in search of a mate. She will probably return when she is ready to deliver another litter. If you care about her the try to make sure this doesn’t happen
sorry, she wasnt in heat. she was totally sad and depressed that I took her kittens. I know it and was curious what would happen if I leave the kittens grow up with her, because obviously she liked them. people seem going on about their stereotypical mindset without reading what I wrote. spaying is irrelevant at this stage.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We will have to disagree on that. Unless you want and can afford a colony of reproducing cats and kittens, spaying and neutering is very very relevant.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yah some get sad for awhile but cats are breeding machines, she is very likely to go into heat asap if she hasnt bred already. Please get her spayed, at least for her sake so she will stay in the garden and never feel that sad losing her kittens again and again.. and again.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
spaying is irrelevant at this stage.
Actually, spaying is essential at this stage. She's just finished nursing a litter of kittens, she will be in heat now, whether you've noticed it or not, and will have gone out to mate again. You need to get her trapped and spayed as soon as she comes back.

It's OK to re-home kittens at 10 weeks old, although 12 weeks is better. What you really need to do is make sure that any kittens you re-home have been blood tested, vaccinated and spayed or neutered before you re-home them. Then charge a re-homing fee to cover your costs. That way you stand a better chance of getting caring, forever homes for the kittens.

People who get un-fixed, un-vaccinated kittens for free tend to be a bit careless. I'm not saying every person who takes a free kitten is like that. However, there is a chance people will take kittens, allow them to get pregnant and then dump them when they become too much trouble.

So please make sure your cat is spayed before she produces any more kittens.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks, well I tried but I can't unfortunately. might spay once it is possible, but I read giving away 10 weeks old kitten is ok, but obviously isnt
k

I understand completely what you are saying because it just happened to me. There is a female feral cat that I have been feeding for four years now and I have managed to successfully trap and adopt out all of the kittens in the three litters she had. However, she appears to be very upset over losing this last litter, especially the last kitten. She is going around crying for him and has grown very cold towards me. The last kitten was 12 weeks old. She never really did trust humans but it has gotten worse since taking this litter.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you just using a regular humane trap? Some cats are trap savvy, but drop traps work with the more difficult cats. You could start a thread and ask for trapping advice. Some of our members are very experienced in TNR.

:)

She is very trap-savvy.

I set up a trap seven months ago, (badly) and she went in okay, but she was also able to back out, and she hasn't been fooled by them since. There is an old tom cat who prowls around the same area and I have been trying to get him for four years now, but he is totally immune to the allure of traps. He looks to be ten or older and I know she is four, so it just goes to show that cats who make it on the outside aren't risk takers.

I won't give up.