Mom cat breasts feel hard and swollen, please help

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone. One of the cats I recently rescued is a mom cat. Around 4 to 5 years old. She gave birth recently but all her kittens died or something must have happened because for the 2 weeks after she gave birth I never saw her hiding or with any kittens. I also looked for them around the areas where she could have given birth in but I saw nor heard any kittens. She was always around the street alone and laying in the alley waiting for me to feed her. Anyway, so I took her to the vet to start her health journey, so normally the vet checked her breasts and did not tell me anything out of the usual, just that they are full of milk. However, today I noticed they feel hard and they look swollen. Now I know she just gave birth recently but I remember one of my female cats when she had given birth and during her pregnancy and her breasts were never swollen or hard like hers. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but all the area around her breasts feels hard and look swollen, like you can see it not only when you touch. I don't know if this is normal or if I should worry and have her breasts checked again??? Also, how will she get rid of the milk if she has no kittens? Will this hurt her? I will insert athe original picture and an edited one to mark where it starts to feel hard.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet, but the cat appears to have breast engorgement, following birth but, without the kittens being available to remove the milk.  You should take her to the vet as soon as possible because the mammary glands would be very painful.  Cats often suffer pain, but without any  overt appearance of this.

With all best wishes,

Geoffrey

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you so much, is breast engorgement life threatening? 

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. I just wish I knew how to relieve her at home so I don't have to spend more money going to the vet. I just spent $100 on her and one of her older kittens (6 months old) two days ago!

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Speaking as a human doctor, not a vet, I don't believe that this is something that you can treat yourself.  Only a vet can help her -  and she will be in pain until you take her to a vet for treatment.

With regards,

Geoffrey

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To bad the other kitten won't nurse from her.....I've seen my adult cats nursing I just look the other way ~

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the warm cloth and she seemed to enjoy it. She laid back on her own and let me placed the cloth on her breasts. I kept doing it for around 10 to maybe 15 minutes. Then some milk was coming out and she started licking it. I tried to milk her for a while, but her breasts are so compacted and hard that I think it will take a while for the swelling to come down. I will try to do the warm compresses at least once a day (since I work and I'm in college I can only do it once) to see if it helps her. Either way I will call the vet tomorrow and ask her what can be done about it.

Last edited:

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Speaking as a human doctor, not a vet, I don't believe that this is something that you can treat yourself.  Only a vet can help her -  and she will be in pain until you take her to a vet for treatment.

With regards,
Geoffrey
I will call the vet tomorrow and ask what can be done about it. Thanks!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are worse shots online but *graphic*   poor baby.....send pictures to the Vet if you can  

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I will. Hopefully everything goes well for her, I don't want her in pain. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The warm, damp compress will help to relieve the swelling and pain. She probably needs an antibiotic to treat infection. They may be able to give her something to dry up her milk. Poor gal - she's in pain. I wonder what really happened to her babies.

Thank you for rescuing her. Do you plan to spay her and keep her?

I hope you are able to get her to the vet tomorrow. Please let us know what happens and how she is doing.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like that warm compress helped her somewhat. I hope you get some good advice from the vet; please do share! Poor girl is lucky to have you looking after her.

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I will be taking her soon to the vet today. She seems more lethargic today and doesn't seem she wants to get up. Also she is breathing faster. She ate well though and drank water. When I tried to put my hand on her breasts to feel them she scratched me a bit. I suppose she is in pain and I don't want to wait any longer to know what is going on or what can I do to help her. So in a few minutes I will be heading off to the vet. I will keep you posted once I get results! Wish me and the Queen luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she has an infection that is causing fever. It's good you are getting her in today. Please ask the vet to give her pain medicine as well.

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, BAD news. The two cats escaped. I don't know when it happened but I guess the cage was somehow unlocked and they managed to get out. I am desperate and heartbroken. I tried looking for them again in the same spots they used to be around and I saw the kitten, but she ran away when she saw me. The mom cat I have not seen. I am worried sick and don't know what to do. I was just going to take them to the vet and they were gone. *sigh*...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! I hope you can get her. She is not well at all. How did they get out of the house?

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They Both were on my balcony in a cage. I live in a second floor house. They must have gotten out and ran down the stairs back to the streets. I am losing my mind. Have the worst luck ever!!!