Modern words and phrases that get under your skin.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, I never liked the abbreviations such as IDK, IMHO, LMAO, etc. I used to google everytime I read words like that as I felt so ignorant. Hahaha

It also irritates me when some use words incorrectly, like "your" instead of "you're".

And lastly, I dislike the way the Kardashians repeatedly use the word "like" in all their sentences. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guilty of the abbreviations.

At 36, I consider myself an Xennial rather than a proper millennial.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm tired of hearing people use internet acronyms/slang when they speak, e.g., "I was like so totes LOL OMG, amirite?" :)

I'm also tired of trendy business phrases. I've wasted so many hours in meetings that were probably about 98% buzzwords, and only 2% of actual substance.

Okay, now that I have that off my chest, I guess I'll go yell at some kids to get off my lawn or something. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also tired of trendy business phrases. I've wasted so many hours in meetings that were probably about 98% buzzwords, and only 2% of actual substance.
I hate corporate-speak. My boss's boss's boss puts out an e-mail every day that's just pure gibberish. I don't remember the wording exactly, but the entire first sentence is made of corporate buzzwords. Drives me batty. I always wonder if they're so clueless that it makes sense to them, or if they do it because they think we're dumb. Maybe I'm too cynical.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have another one....
When someone says they are or are telling someone else they are "woke" or "feel woke".
It just sounds bad and unintelligent.

I hate that word too :cringe: I have no idea what it means. Same with "shook" and other words that now have some other meaning to younger generations.

"Collaboration" is one that annoys me. At a previous job, "collaboration" meant superficially socializing with others and playing stupid office politics and doing whatever it takes to advance your career even if it meant throwing others under the bus in any way possible.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I hang out from time to time on another board where people love to talk about women being "preggo" or "preggers". I find the words nauseating. I didn't think people said them anymore, but evidently, I'm wrong. Nonetheless, I find it disgusting. Women are pregnant. It's that simple.

cheeser cheeser If somebody came to me and said, "I was like so totes LOL OMG, amirite?" I'd probably end up in jail.

When he first started working with me, one of my co-workers was using the word "like" after every other word. I finally said, "Like? Like what? Do I like? Like what?" He said it was just an expression. To which I replied, "Find another expression! You're annoying! I feel like I'm talking to some kind of valley girl for god's sake." To his credit, he was able to tone it down quite a bit, probably after he realized that our boss hated hearing "like" as much as I did and told him to knock it off.

And this isn't necessarily words and phrases, but I find text-speak ridiculous. Even when texting!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the internet forum abbreviation DH/DD (darling husband/darling daughter - or DS for darling son). They're your family so you obviously love and cherish them, and an abbreviation shouldn't have to show that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the internet forum abbreviation DH/DD (darling husband/darling daughter - or DS for darling son). They're your family so you obviously love and cherish them, and an abbreviation shouldn't have to show that!
Well, I learned something new today! I've seen that and have never known what it meant, but never really cared to find out. It was confusing but I just ignored it. And Yup, it's now added to my list. I don't mind a few abbreviations that describe a feeling/action like LOL, but I have never gotten into "text speak" much.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
One my daughter constantly uses when im trying to give advice..Yikes...I KNOW....She says You dont need to tell me that IM GROWN...I hear IM GROWN alot....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one doesn't bother me at all, and I tend to use this quite often, but I'm curious if anyone knows how it started.
Putting the word "pants" after an adjective when speaking to or about someone.
Fancy-pants, crazy-pants, cranky-pants, sexy-pants, etc...I'm bad for using this, but I think it's cute. I only use this as a term of endearment or in a cute/fun/casual situation. Like my niece who is showing off a new outfit - "look at you miss Fancy-pants!", or if my cat is being cranky - "What's the matter Cranky-pants/Grumpy-pants?"
What do you think...Is this one bad? Do you know where it came from?

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think mine are when people use 'my dudes' - more a Twitter thing than anything else.

And using the word for a lady dog all the time - sorry, not sure if it's classed as a swear word here?! So saying 'see you later b*****s' or 'hey b****s'.

It just annoys me...

And my personal massive pet peeve - not particularly modern, maybe:

'Can I lend your (insert item of choice)?'

NO YOU CAN'T. You can borrow it and I can lend it to you but it's not yours!

*goes to sit quietly while blood pressure drops*

PS I'm on my phone and the smileys are greyed out, any ideas? I can manually type this one :) but no other options...

Leausername

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do any of you have any irks towards the use of some words that people are using today? There are a few that get under my skin. I'm sure generations before me felt the same way about some stuff my generation said, but whatever, lets have fun with this. And if you want to add a word of phrase that was popular but you hated in generations past, let's hear them too.

I can't help but roll my eyes if I hear a young adult say that they are "adulting".
Umm, no. You are not "adulting"....You ARE an adult. It's feels like by using that term means you're faking it, or that you feel the need to have special acknowledgment and praise for doing something that just means you're growing up and being responsible. :rolleyes3:

Another one that bugs me is people who say they have a "side-hustle". In my head, having a side business sounds much more respectable. A side-hustle makes it sound like you have a "get rich quick" scheme going on or are trying to scam people.

So what about you? Have anything to add?
Oh my gosh! So many!! I’m woke!? What!? Ratchet!??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the top of my list would be 'parenting'.
My mom subscribed to a magazine called Parenting back in the 80s. I thought adding -ing was a fairly average grammar structure.
"Can I lend your (insert item of choice)?'
I haven't heard that one myself. Around here people say "can you borrow me some money?" "Hey, borrow me your air compressor, wouldja?", etc. Also "I'm going to the store, wanna come with?" Those still grate on me, although I've gotten used to most of the other local slang.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the top of my list would be 'parenting'. Turning random nouns into verbs by adding -ing to them has always grated on me like fingernails on a chalkboard.
...Today I was trying to convert meters into feet in my head and was having trouble so told my husband, "Sorry, I can't math today." So I'm totally guilty of the random nouns into verbs.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
'I (or we) stan you (or whatever the thing is).'

I've seen that loads of times now so have eventually Googled it. Basically means:

those who "Stan" something love and support that person, thing or situation with a passion.

Why can't people just say that?