Modern words and phrases that get under your skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to say this and then run away and hide... :thumbsup:
I've never understood 'off of'. 'She got off of the plane', etc.
Here (although we're becoming more and more Americanised and I've heard it said by media people recently in Australia), it's always just been 'off'.. 'She got off the plane'. Same, I think, with British English?
That's never stood out to me before...
So does that mean you would also say, "She got ON the plane" and not "She got ON TO the plane?" I think they are both acceptable right?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I totally say off of. I also end sentences with random prepositions "Wanna come with?" etc.

The one that I dislike is "bae", but idk if that's a modern slang thing or I'm just not into cutesy nicknames for significant others in general. Like occasionally I'll say to my husband "Hello, love of my life", but in general I use his name. No 'pumpkin' or 'hubby' or 'bae' for me.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's never stood out to me before...
So does that mean you would also say, "She got ON the plane" and not "She got ON TO the plane?" I think they are both acceptable right?
I'd probably say either. But there are quite a few instances where that doesn't apply when using 'off of'.
She took the paper off of her desk
She put the paper on her desk
(on to would sound really stilted)

I got the information off of the internet

I think it's interesting that 'off of' is very rarely used in writing. 'On to' definitely is.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any slang word popular with Millennials and younger generations :cringe:
The oldest Millennials are 39 this year :D. And the median age in the US is 38. So that's the majority of the population now.

I don't think "off of" is proper English, but it's a common word whisker. Your mouth just wants to say a little extra I guess!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and can some one tell me where this, Hieeeeeee! and Byeeeeeeeee! come from? Seriously, it's just as bad as the Wassuuuuuuup! from the beer commercial. Actually worse imo, because I don't know where it comes from and it's sounds like an extension of "valley talk" which has always been annoying. At least the beer commercial was funny when it FIRST came out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The oldest Millennials are 39 this year :D. And the median age in the US is 38. So that's the majority of the population now.
What are the 20-sometimes and early 30s people called? Generation Z or something? I worked with a bunch of them at a previous job and could not understand them most of the time :dizzy:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think we'd better take a walk away from the generation stereotyping now, or we'll end up in IMO. ;)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t know if people still say this phrase or if it was killed off (I hope) but how about “I just threw up in my mouth”?

First, yuk. And secondly, where else would you throw up? In someone else’s mouth?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about this one...

to "throw shade".

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely CANNOT stand "ima"

"Ima go to sleep" in a sentence.

Just say "I'm going to.."!

Words like that makes the person sound incredibly lazy for not wanting to sound out an extra syllable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given up the fight against bad grammar in spoken form. It makes you sound elitist, or so I've been told. So things like draws and imma and them things over thar, well, so be it. Regional/cultural accents/vernacular shouldn't be transliterated unless you're Mark Twain, though :D.

Although I admit to using "gonna" and "wanna" sometimes so I'm not one to talk.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Millennial here.

Some of my least favorite words, that I have unfortunately used in (unprofessional) conversation with fellow millennials:
Lit
Bae
Yeet
Kobe
Bruh
Adulting (I do use this one :lol: )

Phrase:
Catch these hands.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I've never heard "catch these hands". What does it mean?

I like yeet. It's so very onomatopoeia-ish
Like you're going to fight someone.

"You got a problem with me? You're about to catch these hands!"

Yeet is just fun to yell. I had to clean out my closet. I was throwing clothes to donate into a laundry basket and yelling "YEET" after every good throw. Therapeutic, honestly.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my youngest cousins were little, we used to yell "no, you!" in a Spanish accent (their first language is Spanish) for just about all occasions ("hey, stop that!" "No, you!", etc.). And now that's apparently an Internet Thing. I'm kind of worried someone in my family might have started it accidentally. . . :paperbag:

But probably most kids say something like that.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd probably say either. But there are quite a few instances where that doesn't apply when using 'off of'.
She took the paper off of her desk
She put the paper on her desk
(on to would sound really stilted)

I got the information off of the internet

I think it's interesting that 'off of' is very rarely used in writing. 'On to' definitely is.
I don't get "off of" either. It's so much easier just to say "from." I got the information from the Internet.

Along this same line, I can't stand "off-load." Sounds stupid to me when "unload" says it better.