Modern words and phrases that get under your skin.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't heard those yet....thankfully. Might be a dumb question, but slang today doesn't always make sense so I'll ask. What is that supposed to mean???

To induce an emotional reaction in someone. Oh man, that video for the animal shelter hit me right in the feels.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To induce an emotional reaction in someone. Oh man, that video for the animal shelter hit me right in the feels.
Got it! That's what I thought but you never know these days. And the more I think of it I think I've heard it before but it's not widely used where I'm from.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Got it! That's what I thought but you never know these days. And the more I think of it I think I've heard it before but it's not widely used where I'm from.
If I heard it I did my best to ignore it. Makes me want to gag.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, "feels" instead of "feelings" is pretty annoying.

I think a lot of these had their proper use in a meme, just being funny, but ended up overused and became annoying.
This was one definition, and it's definitely not kind:
OK boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or close-minded opinions associated with the baby boomer generation and older people more generally.
What should we say when someone is being out-of-touch or closed-minded and won't listen?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise

I think a lot of these had their proper use in a meme, just being funny, but ended up overused and became annoying.

What should we say when someone is being out-of-touch or closed-minded and won't listen?
I don’t know that it is right to insult anyone. If you feel they are being close minded just tell them so, try a different way to convince them or just let it go.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about "you're so close-minded". :thumbsup: I think it gets to the point much more clearly and sends a stronger statement than a passive-aggressive "OK boomer".

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

"You are being out-of-touch and won't listen"?
Rather than grouping an entire age group together as having those characteristics. ;)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Goodness.. we all posted together :lol:

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"You are being out-of-touch and won't listen"?
"Don't you dare be disrespectful to me, you entitled brat!"

I dunno. Like I said, my friends and I found this to be a good response to a bossy church lady, because we couldn't be accused of disrespect or insults. We used her name, but on the internet we don't know anybody's name.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno. Like I said, my friends and I found this to be a good response to a bossy church lady, because we couldn't be accused of disrespect or insults. We used her name, but on the internet we don't know anybody's name.
Yeah but to say "OK, Diane" (random name) and roll you eyes, is one thing. You are simply dismissing HER and her alone. To say "OK Boomer", you're throwing out a stereotype insult of basically everyone over the age of 50.
But I digress, I'm just as bad when it comes to Millennials. :lol: But I'm allowed because I'm technically part of that group :paperbag: (right on the edge)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Mine aren't really slang, but now are common mis-spellings of common words:

1. "Suppose" for "supposed" (this is the most common one now). "He was suppose to pick me up at 9:00 A.M.")
2. "Discusting" for "Disgusting". "People nowadays are discusting."
3. Common in eBay furniture descriptions: "Draw" or "Draws" for "Drawers": "The dresser has four draws."
4. And , how can we forget "Invite" for "Invitation"?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. "Suppose" for "supposed" (this is the most common one now). "He was suppose to pick me up at 9:00 A.M.")
2. "Discusting" for "Disgusting". "People nowadays are discusting."
3. Common in eBay furniture descriptions: "Draw" or "Draws" for "Drawers": "The dresser has four draws."
4. And , how can we forget "Invite" for "Invitation"?
I would never be able to use 1,2 or 3...It just doesn't look right or sound right.
But alas, I have used "invite" but only in a very informal way.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Don't you dare be disrespectful to me, you entitled brat!"
To which you respond... "Respect is earned, you undeserving old bitty!" LOL! Or take the high road and just walk away...depending on your mood I guess.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always feel like I'm faking it, and I'm 40 :paperbag:. And now I don't know if all the adults in my life when I was a kid were also faking it, or if some people actually know what they're doing.
I think lots of people feel that way. I'll always remember one particular day in my childhood when I happened to spend the afternoon accompanying a family friend on some errands. Just before going into the bank, she leaned down and whispered in my ear, "Now I have to pretend to be an adult!"

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we're going to talk about respect/insults, I think "OK, Boomer" is a little better than that!
Yeah, but if she deserved it..... ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, and "defiantly" for "definitely". I thought it was just a typo but apparently some people will correct you for using the right word. But they still say "definitely", so maybe they never learned phonics?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm going to say this and then run away and hide... :thumbsup:
I've never understood 'off of'. 'She got off of the plane', etc.
Here (although we're becoming more and more Americanised and I've heard it said by media people recently in Australia), it's always just been 'off'.. 'She got off the plane'. Same, I think, with British English?