Modern words and phrases that get under your skin.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do any of you have any irks towards the use of some words that people are using today? There are a few that get under my skin. I'm sure generations before me felt the same way about some stuff my generation said, but whatever, lets have fun with this. And if you want to add a word of phrase that was popular but you hated in generations past, let's hear them too.

I can't help but roll my eyes if I hear a young adult say that they are "adulting".
Umm, no. You are not "adulting"....You ARE an adult. It's feels like by using that term means you're faking it, or that you feel the need to have special acknowledgment and praise for doing something that just means you're growing up and being responsible. :rolleyes3:

Another one that bugs me is people who say they have a "side-hustle". In my head, having a side business sounds much more respectable. A side-hustle makes it sound like you have a "get rich quick" scheme going on or are trying to scam people.

So what about you? Have anything to add?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do any of you have any irks towards the use of some words that people are using today? There are a few that get under my skin. I'm sure generations before me felt the same way about some stuff my generation said, but whatever, lets have fun with this. And if you want to add a word of phrase that was popular but you hated in generations past, let's hear them too.

I can't help but roll my eyes if I hear a young adult say that they are "adulting".
Umm, no. You are not "adulting"....You ARE an adult. It's feels like by using that term means you're faking it, or that you feel the need to have special acknowledgment and praise for doing something that just means you're growing up and being responsible. :rolleyes3:

Another one that bugs me is people who say they have a "side-hustle". In my head, having a side business sounds much more respectable. A side-hustle makes it sound like you have a "get rich quick" scheme going on or are trying to scam people.

So what about you? Have anything to add?
OMG yes, "adulting". Hate that. Just get on with it all and be responsible like you're supposed to. Live is hard sometimes. Oh well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The work “hack” when used to mean a method of solving some kind of problem or doing something more easily.
I was going to post that one as well! My list of "things that new generations do or say that bug me" is quite extensive. But didn't want to sound like a crotchety old fart posting all the words that bug me LOL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG yes, "adulting". Hate that. Just get on with it all and be responsible like you're supposed to. Live is hard sometimes. Oh well.
Exactly! I worked with a girl, who was IN HER THIRTIES, and even had a child, who constantly used that term. And it was always in such a way that she wanted us to either feel bad for her or give her extra praise. Sorry, you're not getting anything from me!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's feels like by using that term means you're faking it
I always feel like I'm faking it, and I'm 40 :paperbag:. And now I don't know if all the adults in my life when I was a kid were also faking it, or if some people actually know what they're doing.

I HATE "clap back". And I'd be fine with it if just the kids were using it, but news sources are using it in headlines, and I just want to send them to journalism school (I would say "back" to j school but I'm pretty sure they never went in the first place).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually kinda like "OK Boomer" only because it's so perfect for some things. Like my dad INSISTING, repeatedly, that my brother just had to go apply in person when he was job-searching, because "businesses like it when you show initiative", even though those businesses make it very clear that if you show up in person, they'll do the business equivalent of firing your CV into the moon on an exploding rocket.

It also reminds me of a bossy church lady I dealt with as a teenager. All the teens in the community just learned to say "OK, [name]" instead of arguing with her or defending ourselves. And it made her SO mad. It was the only thing that would make her back off.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I'm starting to get really annoyed by the overuse of the term "app".

I know it's supposed to be shorthand for "application", but I'd rather compile programmes from source and edit bash shell scripts than tap on icons on a telephone, so it just grates on my nerves and makes me crochety.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm with susanm9006 susanm9006 with the 'OK Boomer' thing. People might be alright with it, but they're usually not Boomers ;)

This was one definition, and it's definitely not kind:
OK boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or close-minded opinions associated with the baby boomer generation and older people more generally.