Mixing Raw And Canned Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We feed mostly Primal pork, which the cats especially love. Their page now puts it at 6% bone (! I was pretty sure it was 7!) whereas the turkey (which we feed only very small amounts of) is listed as somewhere around 10%. Thank you for asking -- I'm glad to see the pork is a bit lower in bone than I'd thought! ;) The pork food doesn't have fish.

Yes, it does kind of look like your cat's butt is a bit irritated. I agree with A Azazel 's suggestion of feeding a variety of foods -- this is what we do, to sort of dilute the bone from the freeze-dried stuff we feed.

And definitely do watch for the new Stella & Chewy's, it's definitely worth a try, if only for snacks or small meals since it's a little pricy.
I was not aware Primal pork was so low in bone! I was under the impression pork wasn't great for cats so thats why I didn't try it, although I do believe it's not a case of being bad for them as much as it is important to continuing to rotate proteins. I will definitely buy a bag of that next. As we have TONS of turkey and duck primal leftover with no freezer space, the plan is to use that in rotation with high end canned until I have more freezer space to try pork. :)

We have been feeding the variety of canned with the primal in rotation since I posted this, and her butt definitely looks less irritated. We actually have a vet appointment today regarding discharge from her vulva (a whole other issue) so I will have the vet check it out anyways.

I can't wait for Stella + Chewy's! I contacted them and they said they don't know if it will be in stores in BC for a long time yet. :(

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Raw food can cause salmonella and has other risks too. I would suggest cooked food. Cats in the wild do eat raw, but that's why they're susceptible to diseases and illnesses a lot more.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw food can cause salmonella and has other risks too. I would suggest cooked food. Cats in the wild do eat raw, but that's why they're susceptible to diseases and illnesses a lot more.
Cooked food, especially kibble, can also carry bacteria. Cats are made to eat raw meat. They would die in the wild without it because they are obligate carnivores who can only obtain essential nutrients from raw meat. They have short and acidic digestive tracts that are made to handle bacteria such as salmonella. This isn’t to say that they can’t get sick. But it’s a mistake to think that raw meat is any more dangerous to cats than dry kibble. It’s not.

Cats that live outside aren’t more susceptible to disease because they eat raw meat, it’s because they’re more exposed to viruses, parasites, and other dangers than a cat who just lives inside one house.

Last edited by a moderator:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have something of a "truce" on this site between cat owners who feed processed food and those who feed a raw diet (and any mix of the two). We don't criticize each others' choices. My cats thrive on a raw diet, and have for years now. Everyone just needs to research cat nutrition and feed what they're personally comfortable with for their own cats.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another option would be to add broth to the raw food, there are several good quality broth or bisque cat foods in pouches. They can be a little on the expensive side but it's something else to consider.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have something of a "truce" on this site between cat owners who feed processed food and those who feed a raw diet (and any mix of the two). We don't criticize each others' choices. My cats thrive on a raw diet, and have for years now. Everyone just needs to research cat nutrition and feed what they're personally comfortable with for their own cats.
Although I agree with that, sometimes when you want to talk specifically about any combo of raw food, a better audience can be found in the Raw & Home Cooked subforum.

I don't think a person suggesting another type of food is necessarily "criticism". The biggest value I find to TCS is that it is not an echo chamber.
:hugs:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a better audience can be found in the Raw & Home Cooked subforum.

:hugs:
You're correct. I assumed, wrongly, that this thread was in the raw food sub-forum (a place where suggesting processed foods because of "salmonella fear" is criticism). Oops! :oops:

I don't usually participate in the processed food discussions. Carry on! :)

Last edited:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Tell that to the vets who recommend against raw diets because of infection reasons. Tell them to stop spreading misinformation instead of sounding rude on a forum.
Lol we call out misinformed vets all the time on these forums.

Not all vets are against raw feeding by the way.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cooked food, especially kibble, can also carry bacteria. Cats are made to eat raw meat. They would die in the wild without it because they are obligate carnivores who can only obtain essential nutrients from raw meat. They have short and acidic digestive tracts that are made to handle bacteria such as salmonella. This isn’t to say that they can’t get sick. But it’s a mistake to think that raw meat is any more dangerous to cats than dry kibble. It’s not.

Cats that live outside aren’t more susceptible to disease because they eat raw meat, it’s because they’re more exposed to viruses, parasites, and other dangers than a cat who just lives inside one house. Please don’t spread misinformation.
For me, the main idea and point is that the level of bacteria and other "bad actors" in both prepared raw foods and in cooked foods (dry or canned) depends on the awareness and experience of the humans involved. Bacteria &C can affect both types of foods, depending on the humans putting themselves in the chain of custody of the foods. How its made, what goes into it, where it is stored and under what temps, the distribution/ storage centers or freezers, etc. -- the more you know about the cat's food that got into his or her tummy, the better.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
For me, the main idea and point is that the level of bacteria and other "bad actors" in both prepared raw foods and in cooked foods (dry or canned) depends on the awareness and experience of the humans involved. Bacteria &C can affect both types of foods, depending on the humans putting themselves in the chain of custody of the foods. How its made, what goes into it, where it is stored and under what temps, the distribution/ storage centers or freezers, etc. -- the more you know about the cat's food that got into his or her tummy, the better.
I agree. I think it’s important to be careful and do your research on the source of the food you’re feeding whether cooked or raw.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:
Comments in this thread have been edited or deleted. The thread was becoming heated and also going off-topic.
Please also note we do not allow attacks on members. Should this occur please flag the post/s so the moderators can sort it out, rather than creating more discord in the thread.

This thread will now be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.