Mixed with maine coon?

TunaNTiggersMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if my 1 1/2yr old cat, Tuna, is mixed with Maine coon possibly? I was also thinking he's a tuxedo? We havnt weighed him but he's very heavy, hubby would guess almost 15lbs, he barely fits in my lap anymore, curled up against me he's hip to chest, but much longer stretched out, he's very smart, docile, sweet, very patient, loves to communicate, and all that and more...

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you just have a big cat, DSH (Domestic Shorthair) with no specific breed. I don't see any Maine Coon features in him. For one thing, Maine Coons are long haired cats. They also have a very distinctive muzzle shape, ear set, and body type.

Tuxedo is a color/pattern description, not a breed. It's generally applied to cats who look like they're wearing a tuxedo with a white shirt, usually black and white but sometimes other colors.

He looks like he's a very calm kitty letting a little girl haul him around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TunaNTiggersMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, we've had him since he was born, and she's 2, I try to tell her not to pick him up but she does anyhow... still learning, but I love all my babies lol was just wondering cuz he's so big, not fat but big, he does have long fur on his back, loves water, his eyes are golden green and set wide on his face, strong chin and what not... I've researched a lil bit and found some similar characteristics of the Maine coon in him... and as a mixed breed was told he could possibly have some in him... but was still wondering wat others had thought

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Temperament is in no way indicative of breed, as randombred cats can have similar personalities to the stereotypes of a breed. Conformationally speaking, he looks little like an MCO. The only confirmed MCO mixes I’m aware of are from a breeder’s oops litter, and they resemble the breed quite a bit, despite being SH. You can see more info on that here Does he have Maine Coon in him?

The vast majority of cats, over 95%, aren’t pedigree, nor do they have breed ancestry in any relevant capacity. Randombred cats come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and patterns :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think he looks MC either. I made a collage to compare
Keep in mind most breeds were started from domestic cats living in the areas, they didn't pop out of thin air, so similar looks can be in the domestic populations. However I disagree their aren’t features such as behaviors etc. that can indicate breeds. With an outdoor cat / rescue there is no way to know for sure the background of the kitty. I remember someone posting a pic of their very large cat on another forum here and people replied they thought he likely could have some MC somewhere down the line maybe, a grandfather ggf etc.

Anyway, he is a gorgeous boy😻 The largest cat I have ever seen in person was a dsh ginger tabby guy I cared for as a volunteer, we called him the gentle giant, he was so sweet and docile. His owner had declawed him on all paws😿 He was about 2 feet when sitting upright, maybe more, I never measured him.

9676A0BC-12FC-4EE9-BEEE-E7F7AC5DFF91.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
However I disagree their aren’t features such as behaviors etc. that can indicate breeds
What behaviors, in your opinion, are so unique to a breed that you don’t think a moggy could have them? Maine Coon certainly don’t have any, in my experience. They’re absolutely wonderful people oriented cats when well-bred and raised, but there’s absolutely no reason a well-socialized moggy couldn’t have a similar temperament. It wouldn’t be as common in the moggy population as the MCO one, sure, as good breeders work for good temperament, but certainly far from impossible.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While we absolutely breed for temperament and our cats should fit into the breed descriptions there’s no reason to think a moggy couldn’t have some of these traits. some breeds energy levels are not commonly seen in mogs but other traits can be generic, the main difference being you don’t know what you’re going to get until later, where a pedigree is chosen knowing the possibilities.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What behaviors, in your opinion, are so unique to a breed that you don’t think a moggy could have them? Maine Coon certainly don’t have any, in my experience. They’re absolutely wonderful people oriented cats when well-bred and raised, but there’s absolutely no reason a well-socialized moggy couldn’t have a similar temperament. It wouldn’t be as common in the moggy population as the MCO one, sure, as good breeders work for good temperament, but certainly far from impossible.
I didn't mean to imply that domestic kitties could not have similar characteristics or temperaments to any other breeds. It may be in some cases because they do have a common ancestry however distant. But imo breeds do have similar behavioral characteristics, you can read on many reliable breeders info pages about that as well. There is obviously no guarantee of temperament or characteristics in any kitties, whatever their background.

TunaNTiggersMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Either way, I'm so curious, I've ordered a DNA kit just to c wat mixes r in my baby boy... he keeps growing and I finally actually weighed him, he's 17.5 lbs atm and he's only 1 1/2 yr old... my 5 month kitten isn't growing anywhere near how my tuna grew, and ik normal cats stop growing after a year... and shouldn't weigh no more than 10lbs at a healthy level... I can't wait to c wats on the report

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way, I'm so curious, I've ordered a DNA kit just to c wat mixes r in my baby boy... he keeps growing and I finally actually weighed him, he's 17.5 lbs atm and he's only 1 1/2 yr old... my 5 month kitten isn't growing anywhere near how my tuna grew, and ik normal cats stop growing after a year... and shouldn't weigh no more than 10lbs at a healthy level... I can't wait to c wats on the report
Wow he is huge! How can your daughter lift him? I can barely lift Quinn and Merlin sometimes and Quinn likes to perch in my shoulders, but I am older and have back problems. Merlin was about 15 lbs when I took him in, but he was and still is a bit overweight, although he lost some now. Quinn is only about 11-12. Quinn looks like a smaller cat but he is very muscular. Still Merlin is a big cat. I don’t know what he weighs now. I will be curious to see what the test says.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way, I'm so curious, I've ordered a DNA kit just to c wat mixes r in my baby boy...
Basepaws is a scam; so is pretty much any analogue that leads you to believe your cat is a mix of many breeds. Says right there on the website that they’re neither a breed test nor a health test in the small/legal print. A lot of breeders got free tests to use for their pedigrees, and results were very far from accurate, with many getting results that their cat is a mix of breeds never involved in the development of the breed. Which is especially funny given the breeds being tested were all in their database.

Most cats (>95%) have no breed ancestry in any relevant capacity and are just cats, so basepaws basically presses the randomize button based on either a random sequence of letters they read in the code, or just random, in general. There are people who’ve sent in DNA from the same cat twice, and gotten wildly different results. More info on that in this post by lutece Help! What breed do you think my kitty is

In your position I’d cancel the order and save some money. Their DNA testing is fairly notorious amongst breeders for being poor quality/full of mistakes, so I wouldn’t trust their health panel, either.

Weight is in no way indicative of breed ancestry. Randombred cats can come from forever kitten size to giant. Your boy is most likely fully grown, and does look like he may be carrying some extra weight to me. It’s normal for any larger cat to take longer to finish growing, has nothing to do with breed. Just his genetics.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TunaNTiggersMama TunaNTiggersMama
Hi,
What a handsome fellow 🙂
He doesn't look like a Maine Coon but if he was mixed - then he will not necessarily look like a Maine Coon.
His size does seem large - so might have some Maine Coon ancestry or other large breed.
Cat breeds are not from other planets and the chance of having a mix on the parent or grandparent level is not impossible 😎 so he might.

TunaNTiggersMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found out that
Tuna- 1 1/2 yr black and white is mixed of
British shorthair 43.2%
Maine coon 17.8%
Norwegian forest cat 12.5%
American shorthair 14.3%
Bombay cat 8.8%
Burmese 3.4%

Tuxedo/bicolor

Tigger- 5 month tabby
Egyptian mau 27.9%
Abyssinian 25.6%
Bengal 11.5%
American shorthair 15.4%
European shorthair 19.6%

Broken mackerel tabby pattern

TunaNTiggersMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used a combo of wisdom panel and 23 and me tho because I heard that base paws was bogus, but my vet recommendedto do wat I did, and I do love them just the same, and I figured they're mutts or heinz 57 like I am, but it's cool to c wat breeds they came from, gives insight I guess lol idc