Mixed Raw Ground Not Complete?

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just mixed up 2 pounds of boneless raw ground turkey with Alnutrin with eggshells.  All was good until I started washing the bowl after putting the mixture into portioned baggies. There was a film of creamy sludge on the glass bowl that must be made up of the Alnutrin powder.  I've never had this happen before.  I'm not sure why it didn't get mixed into the meat. 
  I'm assuming my meat is not complete, primarily with respect to the calcium/phosphorus ratio. 

My first thought was that I'd go ahead and give it to the cats on a limited basis - less than 15% of their total food - as if it was just a raw piece of meat.  (There is, of course, some of the Alnutrin mixed in, I just don't know how much).  My concern is for my two boys, their kidney levels are up (Stage 2), so I am watching their phosphorus intake.  Is it just not worth it and I dump the whole batch? 

Thanks, Lori

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The creamy sludge - are you sure it was the alnutrin, and not fat residue?

And as re: watching their phosphorus, the eggshells have calcium, which balances the phosphorus in the meat. So even if you use this batch as 15% of the diet (which usually works out to 2 - 3 meals per week for most cats, depending on meal sizes), your Phos calcs shouldn't be off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there was fat residue, it was sticky, but when I ran my finger through it, I could see small specs - like eggshell powder.  That's what concerned me.  If I could see what I believe to be eggshell, then the phos is not as balanced as it should be.  But I assume most of the powder got mixed into the meat.  Am I being too careful?  Too concerned? 

I'm editing to add that even the fat residue on the side of the bowl was unusual.  I had to scrub the bowl much more than normal.  I guess the meat could have been fattier than normal, but its factory ground, so you'd think it would be the same as in the past.  The meat was not fully thawed.  I had to squish it a bit more to make sure it was fully mixed.  Could the colder meat play a part with the residue? 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cold can affect fat for sure. Several chefs recommended that I put the grinder parts in the freezer after making cat food to make it easier to clean.

I'm not an expert, but I tend to think your food will be fine. I can certainly understand your concern though, having had a special needs cat in the past.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cold would also slow down the time it would take to dissolve the Alnutrin--like mixing dry powdered milk into a cup of very cold water.  I can understand  your concern, I think your cats will be fine.  How many days of raw feeding does the two pounds of food represent?

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was a thin film, spread throughout a large mixing bowl.  It's portioned into ziplock bags: 8 meals for two cats.  I put the baggies in the freezer, separate from the other portioned food.  I'll go ahead and serve it, but spread it out over a period of time.  Next time I'll make sure the meat is defrosted through.  Thanks for your wisdom, ladies!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lcat, just curious (since you and I are both having issues with kidney cats), what are you doing for organ meats in your ground turkey?  Are you adding any liver to the mix?  Or are you feeding them freeze dried liver separately or what?  Just curious really

As to what you just mixed up, I really think it'll be fine.   Did you dissolve it really well in water first?  If so, it's probably just really a tiny bit that didn't get in there. 

You know, I have Call of the Wild, Alnutrin with Eggshell Powder, and just plain Eggshell Powder and I figure I can use them at different times depending on the circumstances. (I use these items separately at each meal rather than pre-mixing up a batch - so far)   It's the weirdest thing...every time I use just the plain old eggshell powder, Darko won't eat his meal without major bribery on my part, yet if I serve up the exact same meat with the Alnutrin with Eggshell Powder, he'll dive right in.  Isn't that strange?  And the plain eggshell powder is made by the same people.  Curious,

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I add chicken liver (that I puree) to the mix - 6% per the Alnutrin calculator.  I don't often use other organs, not readily available, but I just found out that the place I now get the livers from has them.  Next time I go, I'll get some as well.  (Since I haven't been feeding hearts or other organs, and since I feed ground, I add 500 mg of taurine to 2 pounds meat, in addition to the Alnutrin mix).  I try to make up food every weekend for the next week.  It's easier on my schedule that way.  If I didn't do the ground meat, I'd consider mixing it up as eaten.  The turkey is rotated with duck, venison, and lamb.  They get chicken from canned foods. 

I haven't used the plain eggshell or Call of the Wild.  My two younger cats get half their meals with the TC Feline mix - sometimes with freeze dried liver, sometimes with fresh liver.  I can't tell if they have a preference for that or the Alnutrin.  Pepper eats everything, Socks is unpredictable (my problem eater). 

The TC Feline definitely has more egg than the Alnutrin, the meat after mixing has a yellow cast and seems slippery. There must be some taste to the Alnutrin with Eggshell that draws Darko over the plain eggshell. 

I do get nervous about feeding raw (it's been 6 months). My constant concern is making sure it's done correctly.  Lewis and Clark have their health issues (kidneys, cancer, hyperthyroid); Socks and Pepper are young and have a long life ahead. I don't want to mess them up!  

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I add chicken liver (that I puree) to the mix - 6% per the Alnutrin calculator.  I don't often use other organs, not readily available, but I just found out that the place I now get the livers from has them.  Next time I go, I'll get some as well.  (Since I haven't been feeding hearts or other organs, and since I feed ground, I add 500 mg of taurine to 2 pounds meat, in addition to the Alnutrin mix).  I try to make up food every weekend for the next week.  It's easier on my schedule that way.  If I didn't do the ground meat, I'd consider mixing it up as eaten.  The turkey is rotated with duck, venison, and lamb.  They get chicken from canned foods. 

I haven't used the plain eggshell or Call of the Wild.  My two younger cats get half their meals with the TC Feline mix - sometimes with freeze dried liver, sometimes with fresh liver.  I can't tell if they have a preference for that or the Alnutrin.  Pepper eats everything, Socks is unpredictable (my problem eater). 

The TC Feline definitely has more egg than the Alnutrin, the meat after mixing has a yellow cast and seems slippery. There must be some taste to the Alnutrin with Eggshell that draws Darko over the plain eggshell. 

I do get nervous about feeding raw (it's been 6 months). My constant concern is making sure it's done correctly.  Lewis and Clark have their health issues (kidneys, cancer, hyperthyroid); Socks and Pepper are young and have a long life ahead. I don't want to mess them up!  
You probably don't have to add the extra Taurine....in addition to the taurine in the meat, the Alnutrin already has twice the recommended amount of taurine.  It won't hurt, since taurine is water soluble, but probably unnecessary.