Mixed or single food?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With all the costs rising and dry food changing up packages and upping the price I'm looking into something.

I used to feed Smilla Urinary mixed with Sanabelle Sensitive. The cats weren't all fond of this but they ate. Then I had Smilla with Purina ONE and everybody loved it! Mostly the Purina ONE, I think, and only the 3 kg packages because somehow the kibble changed in the huge bags.
Now we're on Cat Chow Urinary and Cat Chow Salmon but the kibble is very dusty and the cats eat it but even worse than the Smilla x Sanabelle mix.

The reason I mix two foods is the cost. Smilla was only €2,70 per kilo plus I have cats with a little sensitive stomach hence the Sanabelle, which was about €3-€4 per kilo. Also when I was feeding solely Smilla in 2017 I had 4 girls come down with oxolate stones....

I buy mostly off of Zooplus and I was quite happy with the Smilla Urinary as a mix food but they changed the packaging and it now says 'Kidney Care' and I'm worried they might have changed the ingredients around.

Any ideas? Who else buys from Zooplus and can recommend a good but not too expensive food? Also is it better to mix or better to stick to one food?
I have a lot of cats of different ages and sizes and all of them indoor only.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have always mixed food. I think it helps to have them used to various things in case one product is cancelled or modified.

I think it's best to work with your budget and your cats.

If it's affordable long term (allowing you to do their yearly check ups and bloodwork) and all cats are happy and healthy, that's all that matters!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The thing is they did great on the Sanabelle x Smilla mix. They loved the Sanabelle lam flavoured one the best, every time we mixed the poultry in, they took longer.
Right now there is so much waste and that is also not good for my budget if I end up having to throw it away.

I'm thinking maybe go back to Sanabelle and a different Urinary, because I checked the ingredients on Smilla and it is very different from what it used to be.

So this:
Sanabelle Sensitive - with Lamb | Top deals at zooplus
And maybe with this
Ultima Urinary Tract - Chicken & Rice

I also came across this food:
IAMS Proactive Health Multi-Cat Salmon & Chicken Cat Food | Free P&P €49+
Anyone have any experiences with it? The picture of the kibble looks very dusty

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Concept for Life is on par with Sanabelle and Smilla. Look for offers with Zooplus, they often have them. I dont know any other suppliers in your part of the world but I'll have a look around