Mixed messages from my cats

Juliarghh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Ive posted a few times now over introducing two ragdolls - Seb and Blu. I'm a chronic overthinker so here we are again:cheerleader:

b - Male ragdoll, 6 months old. Was neutered 3 weeks ago. Have had him for about 2 months, previously lived as a kitten with another kitten and 1yo male before we adopted him. Seb has always been outgoing and playful. Seb's a big boy - easily twice the size and almost twice the weight of Blu.
Blu - Male ragdoll, 6 months old, neutered months ago. Previously lived solo from 8 weeks old. He was described as passive but he's been so playful lately. We have had him for 2 weeks now.

- Seb is doing a lot less biting on the neck when he sees Blu initially. He used to chomp down as soon as Blu left his basecamp room of a morning, whereas Seb now runs into the room with a chirp, straight past Blu. Seb will still pounce on Blu if they're unsupervised on the couch or bed though, I do understand this as he sleeps on the bed at night so he sees it as his territory? Seb is also much more tolerant of Blu using the cat tree scratchers now, he used to immediately bowl him over if Blu started scratching.
- They do a lot of chasing however and this often results in Blu yowling and Seb not listening to his boundaries. Seb will sit on him, pin him down or they get each other in a headlock sideways on the ground. Sometimes they tussle without any sound though. When I check for claws, Seb has his in but Blu's are out. Blu also uses his claws on my hand though when we are playing, so I'm not sure he knows to keep them in.
- Blu has lately been running at or after Seb but I'm not sure if this is playful or retaliation. His ears are generally up but tail isn't high.
- Seb runs around Blu chirping a lot. I think Blu has chirped back too but I'm unsure. They have also both done this weird sideways hop thing towards each other (about 5m apart at the time) but I am not sure what to think of it. They also play through the door of a morning when Blu is locked away but I haven't woken up yet to let him out.
- After any 'fights' (unsure if it's playing or fighting), Blu will always come back out, I do think that if he was hiding it would be way more concerning. They also tend to follow each other around. If Seb breaks into the spare bathroom, Blu will be right behind him to see where he went. They play with the ball maze together, have ended up napping near each other and eat in the same room with no issues. As I type this, Seb just grabbed a ball from his toy baskey and Blu is watching intently and I think trying to reach to play too. They also swap litter trays - we have 3 in total for a small 2 storey townhouse.

My question is regarding their behaviour together. Blu is still in his base camp room overnight and if no one is home to supervise. Is it seeming positive? I give them high motivation creamy treats for when they're just chilling neutrally near each other or, particularly to Seb, when he walks past Blu with no reaction. Should I be separating them when Blu starts his yowling - I can't tell if it goes too far or if he is very sensitive. Can I be doing anything else?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is very positive!

They have also both done this weird sideways hop thing towards each other (about 5m apart at the time)
This is them play fighting and play challenging, and is one of the most darling, charming thing kittens do :)

I don't know but I'm not positive they still need to be separated overnight, but I don't think they need to be when Blu starts yowling.

Otherwise I think you're right on track with what you're doing, and it's a fantastic job 👍❣

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, they are playing. I believe a prior post mentioned that despite being the same ages their is a size difference. Your description is 100% characteristic of young friends with a size difference.

You don't need to separate them unless the smaller kitten seems especially miserable and unable to escape on its own.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ALL PLAY with cats is practice for hunting, so their play can look, and sound, pretty rough to us. But what you are describing is just play, with perhaps the occasional heated discussion (totally normal) thrown in. Think of them as a pair of 8-year-old boys, and the whole house is their playground. Gonna be a lot of tussling, and occasional "MOM, HE'S TOUCHING ME!" "AM NOT!" "ARE TOO!" and general mayhem...but they're fine. You may go nuts, but they're fine.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly they sound great together. They sound playful and normal. My girls have lived together for years now and are just finally managing to mesh their playstyles so things don't get too heated but even if it gets loud and things crashing around the house, no one is getting injured or mad enough they aren't over it in 15 minutes. I separated at night for a few months until they got in the habit that one or the other would just sleep with me at night instead of chasing/screaming battles for the first hour I wanted to sleep.