Mixed Maine Coon with short nose? Help!

isabellapurri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

About a month ago, my fiancee and I were walking home and this gorgeous cat just came to us, barely letting us walk.
We ended up staying with him, after trying to search for the owner. I live in Brazil, and cats that look like this are not usually found on the streets (in fact, it was the first time I ever saw a long haired cat on the streets). By the state he was in, it seemed like he was abandoned a couple weeks before, but he definitely had an owner before.
Searching for the likely breed mix (to see if he needed any special care or food, etc), he fits the Maine Coon breed A LOT, starting by his size: he's about 1-2 years old and he's huge! Already at about 5-6 kg, and still a bit skinny (he doesn't eat a lot). He has the ear tuffs thing, the lion-like collar, the only thing that doesn't fit is the slightly pushed up face. It's not like persian, but he does have a short, tiny nose.

I ask what breed mix he can be because I would like to know if he will grow more, and if his short nose needs any special care.

Thanks for the help!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW - he is really, really beautiful and thank you SO much for taking him in. He does have some of the characteristics of Himalayan http://www.thecatsite.com/a/himalayan-cats and a Maine Coon http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-maine-coon-cat His coat looks extremely soft and cottony too. I would not worry at all about his nose needing any extra care as it is not extremely pushed in. What a darling boy. :love: I think you found a very special kitty!!! Enjoy him!! :heart3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

isabellapurri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!! The lucky one is me, really. He's a very serious cat, and he just has to be in the same room I am. He loves when I scratch him under his chin, but if I get anywhere near his legs and paws, it's asking for him to flee. He doesn't like lap, or sleeping with us, or too hands on contact.
Thanks for your reply!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he may be a persian old type, or even MCO pet quality if he is that big and still growing...

I agree, the nose is not so extreme as in modern persians with their flat face, so he shouldnt not have problems with that.

The most probable is he got astray, although there are several possibilites a home cat got homeless...  Owner tired on the need to care for his fur.  Owner died or got sick, and the cat was thrown out... etc

I think you were both lucky.      :)

isabellapurri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:) thanks for the reply as well.
I looked for the owner, post it on several communities on facebook and talked (and posted on their page) with the groups that help animals in my city, but no one claimed my cutie...
I didn't mention this about him, but he has the softest fur on earth! Hahaha it's like a really good quality teddy bear, you know, with the silky smooth fur... He has a double coat, and it's seriously hard to give him a bath! He just won't get wet hahahaha also. even though he has a long fur (especially around the neck and long fluffy tail), he almost doesn't shed fur. I can pick him up in my lap with a black tshirt, and it'll stay clean. He stays in the bed and doesn't leave half a cat behind, I was amazed (and grateful) when I found this out. It helps that he looooves to be brushed, so any fur he has to shed comes out then.

Thanks again!
Hugs,
bella and gaara

isabellapurri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I'm new at this.. What is MCO pet quality? Hehe thanks!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I'm new at this.. What is MCO pet quality? Hehe thanks!!
Now, the pure bred cats you see in books, are the cats who are of show quality...  They seldom publish photos of cats who arent prizeworthy...

Thus, many purebred cats, arent at all with the same looks as the "top of the line" who would be premiered by judges at the show...  

Its those who are called for pet quality.

Its like with humans.  We all are humans, and most of us are nice, good people, but not all of us are top athletes and movie stars.