Mixed Bag Litter! Wondering About The Breed Of One?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mazie mazie

We think so! We've never seen any more kittens, and we didn't know the mother cat was even around. We'd never seen her before; I only found her by accident, when she started meowing back to her kitten. They should be all accounted for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mazie mazie

We haven't been able to, sadly. :( The kittens we rescued have been treated for round-worms and fleas already, we aren't trying to spread anything back to Octavia. She also isn't old enough for all of her vaccines yet (I forget which one we're lacking), though that appointment is coming up. We aren't planning on reintroductions until all the cats have been to the vet to be tested.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May you be many times blessed for putting your caring into action for this sweet little family! There are quite a few resources to help with ferals, and I thought there were some listed on the site here, but can't find them. If you do a search on the subject, you should be able to find some. You could also check on alleycat.org, which is the site of Alley Cat Allies, the national database for cat advocacy.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
A litter of kittens showed up in my parent's neighborhood. This isn't too unusual as they live near a lake area and it's very common for people to drop off their unwanted pets there. My dad's plan was to capture the kittens and just release them elsewhere, making them someone else's problem, so...instead of letting that happen, I went and managed to wrangle up three of the four. My roommate works in a vet's office so unexpectedly taking in animals is par for the course. At their vet visit, we learned they're about 8 weeks old.

The kitten I couldn't catch was pure black. The other girl kitten, who we have already adopted out, was black with a white nose and white underbelly. This is the odd-one-out kitten we have decided to keep for ourselves because...well...:

We've decided on the name Octavia. Here she is with her remaining sibling, the only boy:

The vet assistant seemed doubtful that they were from the same litter, but she wasn't sure. Octavia does seem a bit physically "stouter" than her siblings, with shorter legs, but they are mostly the same size. Her personality is a bit different than the others, she is extremely confident and fearless, her tail usually straight up as she explores new places. Didn't bat an eyelash at being introduced to the very excitable dog, which was another large part of our decision to keep her.

The vet assistant thought she might have some Maine Coon in her, so I thought I'd ask here. The face shape doesn't look quite right to me, and I personally can't tell otherwise between a Maine Coon and a longhaired tabby. At least not until they're no longer kitten-sized. Thanks for looking!
What a sweet heart! Brother is beautiful too, so glad he was adopted!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1

We live in East Tennessee.
Sorry I took so long to get back to you but hope this helps. I had ran across the following info in another thread,
Vultures Won't Let Colony Eat,
and thought it might be of some help, tarasgirl06 mentioned allycat.org:
"You may also want to contact someone like Alley Cat Allies, the national database for outdoor cat advocacy, at alleycat.org, or Best Friends Animal Society at BestFriends.org. They have national network participators on various levels and maybe someone will be able to help personally or give you more resources."

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Twinklelight The Cat Twinklelight The Cat

Well, I know I said it was highly unlikely I'd catch the black kitten... but guess who showed up tonight? I thought you'd be relieved to hear that after much running around my neighborhood, the black kitty is now safe! Aaaand I may have managed to find and catch his mom while I was at it. >.>;

Here's the little guy (or girl, I'm bad at telling when they're little):

I know this forum is for identifying breeds and such, but I thought I'd give an update here. If the mods would like to redirect me elsewhere, that's perfectly fine!

My dad called me because the black kitten was on his porch so I drove out to see if I could catch it. In a fairly long ordeal, not only did I get the black kitten, I accidentally found the mother cat as well. She was curled up on a neighbor's porch. This particular neighbor is elderly and currently hospitalized--he hasn't been home in at least a week and is currently on life support. I don't think this is his cat and suspect she picked his porch because it's quite high up and had no human foot traffic for a long period of time; I didn't see anything that would indicate she was being fed there. She was very skittish and afraid of me, but was more hungry than scared. I managed to coax her with food, and only when I got her to come near me, after much negotiating and tempting, did the black kitten finally give in.

The mother is incredibly starved, but a very pretty cat underneath the wear and tear. She has a medium coat, a tail that I think will full and bushy once clean (it's matted right now), and a very long, painfully skinny body. I haven't got a good picture of her stretched out yet.

She's surprisingly docile now, despite how nervous she seemed when outside, and is accepting of pets and particularly fond of back scratches. I think she may have been domestic once upon a time, but with the condition she's in now, I think it's time for us to intervene. If the neighbors' family show up to check on the house, my parents are going to ask about the cat just in case.

Hopefully I can get some better pictures once she's cleaned herself up a little!

The previous kittens already ran us a considerable bill at my roommate's vet's office, so we're not sure what we're going to do about these two just yet. They'll have to be dewormed for certain, as the other kittens were, but it's the feline leukemia tests that are so expensive. If anyone knows of any resources to help rescued cats like this, we'd be grateful to hear about it.
:bigeyes: Momma looks regal & baby is so cute, I hope they can find forever homes. Poor momma, she must have felt so lost and forgotten. Bless you and your folks for rescuing the poor darlings.:lovecat::clap::clap2: Keep us updated & post lots of pictures for us. :hearthrob::redheartpump::camera:

Twinklelight The Cat

Always loving cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and help! You all have mentioned breeds that I didn't even know existed. I've owned cats my whole life, but they always just came from the pound or the porch and I never gave much thought into what they were. :) We have also adopted out the last remaining boy to a good home and Octavia is proving to be every bit the princess she looks like.

I did try to catch the black one, but it was much, much more skittish than its siblings. :( The others I could get to come close to me and the food I was offering, but the black one wasn't so easily tricked. I stayed out as long as I could with the others in the carrier, the kitten and I watching each other for awhile as I offered food, but it wouldn't budge. The sun was almost completely set and I didn't have much light left. I already couldn't see it well, as it was blending into the shadows. I had to try and approach it before the sun went down completely, and it bolted as I was standing up. It didn't even give me a chance to get close.

My parents said neither of them have seen the black kitten since, but if they happen to see it again, I'll definitely try to go back and catch it. I was also worried about him, but I don't know that there's much I can do to wrangle him up (if he's even still in the area).
Its okay now I understand that you tried to catch him

cdwales1953

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A litter of kittens showed up in my parent's neighborhood. This isn't too unusual as they live near a lake area and it's very common for people to drop off their unwanted pets there. My dad's plan was to capture the kittens and just release them elsewhere, making them someone else's problem, so...instead of letting that happen, I went and managed to wrangle up three of the four. My roommate works in a vet's office so unexpectedly taking in animals is par for the course. At their vet visit, we learned they're about 8 weeks old.

The kitten I couldn't catch was pure black. The other girl kitten, who we have already adopted out, was black with a white nose and white underbelly. This is the odd-one-out kitten we have decided to keep for ourselves because...well...:

We've decided on the name Octavia. Here she is with her remaining sibling, the only boy:

The vet assistant seemed doubtful that they were from the same litter, but she wasn't sure. Octavia does seem a bit physically "stouter" than her siblings, with shorter legs, but they are mostly the same size. Her personality is a bit different than the others, she is extremely confident and fearless, her tail usually straight up as she explores new places. Didn't bat an eyelash at being introduced to the very excitable dog, which was another large part of our decision to keep her.

The vet assistant thought she might have some Maine Coon in her, so I thought I'd ask here. The face shape doesn't look quite right to me, and I personally can't tell otherwise between a Maine Coon and a longhaired tabby. At least not until they're no longer kitten-sized. Thanks for looking!
Maine coon and/or American Bobtail.

Twinklelight The Cat

Always loving cats
Young Cat
Purraise

Well, I know I said it was highly unlikely I'd catch the black kitten... but guess who showed up tonight? I thought you'd be relieved to hear that after much running around my neighborhood, the black kitty is now safe! Aaaand I may have managed to find and catch his mom while I was at it. >.>;

Here's the little guy (or girl, I'm bad at telling when they're little):

I know this forum is for identifying breeds and such, but I thought I'd give an update here. If the mods would like to redirect me elsewhere, that's perfectly fine!

My dad called me because the black kitten was on his porch so I drove out to see if I could catch it. In a fairly long ordeal, not only did I get the black kitten, I accidentally found the mother cat as well. She was curled up on a neighbor's porch. This particular neighbor is elderly and currently hospitalized--he hasn't been home in at least a week and is currently on life support. I don't think this is his cat and suspect she picked his porch because it's quite high up and had no human foot traffic for a long period of time; I didn't see anything that would indicate she was being fed there. She was very skittish and afraid of me, but was more hungry than scared. I managed to coax her with food, and only when I got her to come near me, after much negotiating and tempting, did the black kitten finally give in.

The mother is incredibly starved, but a very pretty cat underneath the wear and tear. She has a medium coat, a tail that I think will full and bushy once clean (it's matted right now), and a very long, painfully skinny body. I haven't got a good picture of her stretched out yet.

She's surprisingly docile now, despite how nervous she seemed when outside, and is accepting of pets and particularly fond of back scratches. I think she may have been domestic once upon a time, but with the condition she's in now, I think it's time for us to intervene. If the neighbors' family show up to check on the house, my parents are going to ask about the cat just in case.

Hopefully I can get some better pictures once she's cleaned herself up a little!

The previous kittens already ran us a considerable bill at my roommate's vet's office, so we're not sure what we're going to do about these two just yet. They'll have to be dewormed for certain, as the other kittens were, but it's the feline leukemia tests that are so expensive. If anyone knows of any resources to help rescued cats like this, we'd be grateful to hear about it.
Great I'm so happy!!!