Mites....Yeast...Fungus...?

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chloe is a stray we brought in from the streets a few weeks ago, she has been strictly inside for a week now. She has been to the vet had her vaccines, had revolution applied. I have noticed her itching her ears and under her chin a lot. She won't let me examine under her chin but there isn't any hair missing anywhere on her that I can tell. She isn't red anywhere other than pink on her nose and a little right in the corner of her eye. There are some brown spots on her nose and in her ears. I got the best pictures she would allow! The spots aren't "flakey" and aren't red. I changed her food from Iams today to Royal Canin so i'm not sure if that will help....but of course a quick Google search says these spots could be anything. What do you guys think? There are more in her other ear but she wouldn't let me get good pictures and the other ear has darker hair so it was harder to see!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tricky. It could really be any number of things. It is soon enough after flea treatment that she could still be itching from flea bites prior to treatment. The discoloration could just be sunspot/freckles especially given she is a lighter color. The nose could be from food drying on it or preexisting scratch/bite reactions. The chin itching could also be the beginnings of chin acne if you use plastic bowls. 

Personally, I would try cleaning her nose and give it a week or two to heal if it is an injury of some sort. If they get bigger or redder then check with your vet but they look like food or healing scratches to me. I would also switch to a stainless steel or ceramic food and water dish (if not already) just to stave off any chin acne possibility. Give her skin some time to fully heal from any fleas for the itching. Nothing can be done for the freckles, just keep an eye on them. Since you have a photo already take a new one in a month or so and check with the vet if they are bigger or spreading. 

I wouldn't assume mites, yeast, fungus or anything serious from what you have said. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn't have fleas...Not a single one! Vet was shocked. I just bought ceramic bowls today and the new food. I guess I'm overly paranoid since I have 3 dogs and 3 kids....Don't want anything to spread! lol Thanks for the advice!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Chloe will allow it, give her a nice warm bath. After being on the streets, she might enjoy it & it will definitely clean her up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try haha she is very friendly but she does have her limits! She growls when she doesn't want you doing something. But, she hasn't attempted to bite. I have used the cat cleaning wipes on her to clean her bc she was orange from red dirt!!