Missing tooth

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a three year old rescue called Inara. Yeasterday I noticed that she's missing one of her bottom teeth! I have no idea what coul've happened.

I was at the vets just last week and they took a good look at her teeth and said that everything was normal. She just had a little plaque. I brush her teeth, but my oldest cat passed away just two weeks ago, so I've been slacking a little.

Does anyone know what could have happened? She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she isn't bleeding. Should I be worried?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you saying she HAD that tooth before and now it's gone?   Or is it possible it's been gone all along?

If it's suddenly missing, then look at the area and see if it appears healthy, and just for peace of mind, call your Vet and see if there is any reason why they would need to see her in case it got knocked out and the root is still there or something.  The just as far as cats not having all their teeth, that's not usually an issue.  Cats sometimes need to have even ALL their teeth pulled and still get along nicely.

BTW, sorry for your loss of your oldest

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats normally have 6 of those little teeth on the bottom and 6 on the top. A tooth can go missing due to injury or poor dental health. My Aby is missing two on his bottom for some reason and he's strictly indoors and gets his teeth brushed every day
I think he may have lost those two as akitten from a tug-of-war session with a toy he wouldn't let go. I don't ever recall seeing blood or him being in pain if a tooth  did come out during tug-of-war. He's 4 now and eats and plays just fine. So I wouldn't worry about your cat's one missing tooth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Are you saying she HAD that tooth before and now it's gone?   Or is it possible it's been gone all along?

If it's suddenly missing, then look at the area and see if it appears healthy, and just for peace of mind, call your Vet and see if there is any reason why they would need to see her in case it got knocked out and the root is still there or something.  The just as far as cats not having all their teeth, that's not usually an issue.  Cats sometimes need to have even ALL their teeth pulled and still get along nicely.

BTW, sorry for your loss of your oldest
It's not possible that it has been gona all along. As I said. We went to the vet a week or two ago and then she had all of her teeth.

I doesn't seem to bother her at all. I think I just got stressed out when I noticed one was missing. :p

Thank you. It's been really hard. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Cats normally have 6 of those little teeth on the bottom and 6 on the top. A tooth can go missing due to injury or poor dental health. My Aby is missing two on his bottom for some reason and he's strictly indoors and gets his teeth brushed every day
I think he may have lost those two as akitten from a tug-of-war session with a toy he wouldn't let go. I don't ever recall seeing blood or him being in pain if a tooth  did come out during tug-of-war. He's 4 now and eats and plays just fine. So I wouldn't worry about your cat's one missing tooth
Thank you! I think she's fine to be honest. I'm just an over protective cat mom. I get nervous about ANY difference in them.