Missing patch of fur near whiskers

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we noticed this missing patch of fur around our Annie's whiskers/mouth area a few weeks ago. It's been an issue trying to capture a clear enough photo of it, and we wanted to give it a few weeks to see if it cleared up on its own before I went ahead and made this post.

We're not sure what it could be, it doesn't look painful or red but it's not getting better. At first we wondered if it happened in a scuffle with our newly adopted cat April, but as I said, it doesn't look red or painful. Then a few days ago, my husband revealed to me that he caught Annie walking closely/rubbing her face against a bottle of Nair we keep on our bathroom counter (it's one of those pump bottles with a cover over the hole, we ALWAYS cover it and try to wipe off any excess. We've since moved it into a cupboard, though) and wondered if that was it, and I wondered if maybe it damaged her skin if it was left on there for too long and the fur will no longer grow. Other than that, we have no clue what it could be or if it requires a vet visit as it doesn't seem to be spreading or bothering her.

I'll attach some images, one is the first picture I managed to take of it a week or so ago and one is from tonight. The first image actually looked like it was getting better with fur re-growth but not today.

First time, 2 weeks or so ago:
IMG_5322.JPG

Tonight:
IMG_5362.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I've been thinking about your post. In my opinion, because it looks more intense (for lack of a better word) tonight than it did previously, can you see if your vet will allow you to send these pictures in so they can look at them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I've been thinking about your post. In my opinion, because it looks more intense (for lack of a better word) tonight than it did previously, can you see if your vet will allow you to send these pictures in so they can look at them?
I really hope so! I've had e-mail exchanges with our vet before (after a visit) but I'm concerned about them pressuring us to take her in if there's eventually nothing they can do, leading to charging us for unnecessarily services which my husband would be very upset over. But it is worrying that it isn't really getting better and if only getting worse, although it could be the angles I'm looking at it from.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try a home remedy - in addition to contacting the vet. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Annie to ingest should she do so.

Not knowing what that spot is the chamomile tea may not help at all. You might be surprised to find the vet recommending something for you to try at home just to see if it would start to clear up on its own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try a home remedy - in addition to contacting the vet. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Annie to ingest should she do so.

Not knowing what that spot is the chamomile tea may not help at all. You might be surprised to find the vet recommending something for you to try at home just to see if it would start to clear up on its own.
Thank you, I might take a look at this! I'm also still considering e-mailing the vet, but I'm hesitant. I spoke to my husband about this last night after making the initial post and we looked it up and it can apparently take 2-3 months for a shorthaired cat to grow its fur back, so he thinks we should wait it out. I'm only unsure about this because it doesn't seem to be growing back or anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only mentioned the chamomile tea because that spot seems to look like a bit more than just a bald place, that last pic makes it look a bit red, as in perhaps a sore of some sort.