Missing One Side of Whiskers Suddenly??

siberian77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - sorry if this question is repetitive - I could have sworn that I saw something like this posted a few days ago, but when it actually happened to us I couldn't find it!

Our older kitten (Liev) rather aggressively grooms our younger kitten (Yuri). Yuri doesn't mind, but last night when he was cuddling with us, we noticed that all of his whiskers are stubs just on one side! After doing some reading, it seems as though Liev may have chewed/licked them off, and/or Yuri may have rubbed them off. Have any of you encountered this? Yuri seems pretty much ok, although he's a bit agitated when he runs around (aside from looking silly!) I know they will grow back eventually, but is there any way of preventing it? Is he now lopsided and should we cut the other whiskers so he's not unbalanced??

Thanks!

Stubs on one side:

Lopsided!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Maggie when Cleo was a year old (Maggie was 8 weeks or so.) They bonded instantly and groomed each other before falling asleep together. Within a week, Maggie had chewed all of Cleo's whiskers off! I think by the time they had grown back, Maggie may have outgrown the tendency to chew on Cleo's whiskers....however, she still chews on pretty much everything else (especially electrical cords!) Cleo never seemed to experience any adverse effects from being whisker-less. I don't think you should cut the other whiskers. Even if they're missing on one side, he will still use the ones that are there. He will get used to it very quickly....cats are amazingly adaptable!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yuri is a beautiful. He looks just like our Speedboat did when we first got him fourteen years ago.

dsgns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - sorry if this question is repetitive - I could have sworn that I saw something like this posted a few days ago, but when it actually happened to us I couldn't find it!

Our older kitten (Liev) rather aggressively grooms our younger kitten (Yuri). Yuri doesn't mind, but last night when he was cuddling with us, we noticed that all of his whiskers are stubs just on one side! After doing some reading, it seems as though Liev may have chewed/licked them off, and/or Yuri may have rubbed them off. Have any of you encountered this? Yuri seems pretty much ok, although he's a bit agitated when he runs around (aside from looking silly!) I know they will grow back eventually, but is there any way of preventing it? Is he now lopsided and should we cut the other whiskers so he's not unbalanced??

Thanks!

Stubs on one side:

Lopsided!
Winter kitty lost right side whiskers during his stay at veterinary for a UTB episode.