Missing nail for a month now

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I need some advice please. My cat went to a clinic and got spayed and scratched something. I went Home to find out her nail is missing! I took Her back there and they said it’s fine just keep an eye on it. Does this look infected or is this her nail growing ? Should i clean It and how? Her paw smells like poop.she’s not limping but she does lick it. Thanks !

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd have that looked at by a vet, it doesn't look 'right' to me. You can try to send pics to them and see what they say based on its appearance before taking her in. I hope they want to see her; I think that needs professional cleaning/treatment.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats break claws and it's not necessarily a big deal. Like with human nails, it needs time to grow back, but in the meantime the tender skin underneath is exposed. What bothers me is you saying it smells! That's alarming. I'd get it looked at again for sure. Although, cats do get a poopy smell on their paws for obvious reasons, so it could just be that, but what if it's infection? My cat did no more than lick her paw, and I took her in and they had to debride some black dead flesh. It was scary, but it beats getting the paw amputated if I had waited.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it eases your mind any, my girl Sadie lost a nail about two years back. She caught on something, and chewed it off! It looked gnarly for about three months but eventually grew back. Still worth checking with the vet; I sent pictures to my vet every week to make sure it wasn't getting infected.
Here's what hers looked like.
20201029_121703.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it happened under their watch, I would insist they do something about it.
Cats break claws and it's not necessarily a big deal.
I agree with the above.

No it's not a big deal, provided a vet or some other qualified person looks at it to be sure.

I think you should take your cat to a vet of your choosing and have them send the bill to the spay clinic.
Honestly, it's really the fair thing to do. I think they should have made you the offer, right off the bat.

In fact, if I was them, I would have asked, "Who's your vet?" then said, "We'll contact them and tell them you're going to call for an appointment."

Hey! Accidents happen. I get it. But, when things happen, it's better to get in front of the ball, if you know what I mean.

I'm no great expert but, from what I see, it doesn't LOOK like anything is wrong. It's hard to tell from pictures, though. (How the heck do you take a picture while trying to hold a squirming cat? ;) )

It WILL take a long time for your cat's nail to grow back.

Years ago, while I was working, I dropped a heavy box on my foot and squashed my big toe. I wasn't wearing safety shoes, at the time. My big toenail turned black and fell off. I had to go to the doctor to get it wrapped up and he gave me some antibiotics. Nothing bad happened except that I had to walk around with a bandaged toe for about two weeks.

However, it took several months to grow back and it was nearly a year before it looked normal, again. I don't know how fast a cat's nails will grow back, compared to a human, but I'm sure it'll be a while. In the mean time, IMO, your cat is in the same boat I was in.

If that's true, just take your cat to the vet to have her toe looked at. Follow your vet's instructions and wait for her to heal.

She'll get better. I'm sure! :)

I'd be calling that clinic back and holding their feet to the fire, if I was you. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd have that looked at by a vet, it doesn't look 'right' to me. You can try to send pics to them and see what they say based on its appearance before taking her in. I hope they want to see her; I think that needs professional cleaning/treatment.
Thank you I did go to the vet and they gave her antibiotic shot and asked to give her pain medication for a month. She needs to be in a cone for two months to prevent her from licking her paw :( so it can heal

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since it happened under their watch, I would insist they do something about it. She most likely caught it on the wire of her cage. I'm glad they put you under the featured threads, maybe we can get some help for this!
Yeah that must’ve happened but they won’t admit it. They said it’s fine it’s heal. Not the way it looks like. But i took Her to the vet and she needs to wear a cone for two months to prevent her from licking it so it can heal

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the above.

No it's not a big deal, provided a vet or some other qualified person looks at it to be sure.

I think you should take your cat to a vet of your choosing and have them send the bill to the spay clinic.
Honestly, it's really the fair thing to do. I think they should have made you the offer, right off the bat.

In fact, if I was them, I would have asked, "Who's your vet?" then said, "We'll contact them and tell them you're going to call for an appointment."

Hey! Accidents happen. I get it. But, when things happen, it's better to get in front of the ball, if you know what I mean.

I'm no great expert but, from what I see, it doesn't LOOK like anything is wrong. It's hard to tell from pictures, though. (How the heck do you take a picture while trying to hold a squirming cat? ;) )

It WILL take a long time for your cat's nail to grow back.

Years ago, while I was working, I dropped a heavy box on my foot and squashed my big toe. I wasn't wearing safety shoes, at the time. My big toenail turned black and fell off. I had to go to the doctor to get it wrapped up and he gave me some antibiotics. Nothing bad happened except that I had to walk around with a bandaged toe for about two weeks.

However, it took several months to grow back and it was nearly a year before it looked normal, again. I don't know how fast a cat's nails will grow back, compared to a human, but I'm sure it'll be a while. In the mean time, IMO, your cat is in the same boat I was in.

If that's true, just take your cat to the vet to have her toe looked at. Follow your vet's instructions and wait for her to heal.

She'll get better. I'm sure! :)

I'd be calling that clinic back and holding their feet to the fire, if I was you. ;)
Thank you I wish I had the courage to do that. I’m so upset they didn’t care much about it saying it’s not their fault or even care much about it. Thank you for advice

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'know, it's not really that big of a deal, actually.
Yes, it's ugly. It hurts. (You don't have to ask me how I know. ;) ) It'll grow back. In the end, everything should go back to normal, after a while.

But the thing is... IT'S NOT THEIR CAT!
Let them do whatever they want to their own cat. (Rhetorically speaking.) When they are handling other peoples' cats, it should be the "Velvet Glove" treatment, all the way.

How did it happen? Did they even bother to explain? Did they just hand you back your cat and say, "Oops, my bad..." ?
Or, did they even say anything at all?

Like others say, she probably caught a nail on the cage when they were going to get her. It's not unheard of.
Is your cat prone to lash out? All cats will lash out when they think they are in danger or are in pain but we all know that some do it more than others? I'm going to assume that your cat is on the average and won't lash out unless under extreme duress. Am I right?

So... That leads the question? How did the people at that clinic put your cat under SO MUCH STRESS that she lashed out, had to be "man handled" and got a broken nail in the process? It sounds like an inexperienced animal handler to me! Either that or an idiot!

I gather from what you said that they just handed you back your cat and didn't say anything until you found the problem. Then, when you pressed the issue, they tried to downplay it.

If that's true... Those are all the hallmarks of liars! Big, fat, ugly, immoral, lying A-Holes!

I would have given them one chance to make good. Like I said, have THEM call YOUR vet to explain the problem and arrange to pay the bill. If they would have done that, I would have been like "Comme ci, comme ça..."

Otherwise, I would have pulled out my phone, dialed my lawyer's office and put THEM on the phone with my lawyer.

I did that once, to a place that messed up my car. My guy must have read them the riot act because, afterward, they just fixed up my car, didn't charge me and that was that. ;)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But... with the cone.

I don't think she need to wear a cone full time.

Cats naturally lick their paws to keep them clean. How else do they pick out the bits of litter that get stuck between their paws?

If she's only doing that much, I wouldn't bother with a "Cone of Shame."

But, if she continually picks at her paw... Yes. Cone of Shame. ;)

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Y'know, it's not really that big of a deal, actually.
Yes, it's ugly. It hurts. (You don't have to ask me how I know. ;) ) It'll grow back. In the end, everything should go back to normal, after a while.

But the thing is... IT'S NOT THEIR CAT!
Let them do whatever they want to their own cat. (Rhetorically speaking.) When they are handling other peoples' cats, it should be the "Velvet Glove" treatment, all the way.

How did it happen? Did they even bother to explain? Did they just hand you back your cat and say, "Oops, my bad..." ?
Or, did they even say anything at all?

Like others say, she probably caught a nail on the cage when they were going to get her. It's not unheard of.
Is your cat prone to lash out? All cats will lash out when they think they are in danger or are in pain but we all know that some do it more than others? I'm going to assume that your cat is on the average and won't lash out unless under extreme duress. Am I right?

So... That leads the question? How did the people at that clinic put your cat under SO MUCH STRESS that she lashed out, had to be "man handled" and got a broken nail in the process? It sounds like an inexperienced animal handler to me! Either that or an idiot!

I gather from what you said that they just handed you back your cat and didn't say anything until you found the problem. Then, when you pressed the issue, they tried to downplay it.

If that's true... Those are all the hallmarks of liars! Big, fat, ugly, immoral, lying A-Holes!

I would have given them one chance to make good. Like I said, have THEM call YOUR vet to explain the problem and arrange to pay the bill. If they would have done that, I would have been like "Comme ci, comme ça..."

Otherwise, I would have pulled out my phone, dialed my lawyer's office and put THEM on the phone with my lawyer.

I did that once, to a place that messed up my car. My guy must have read them the riot act because, afterward, they just fixed up my car, didn't charge me and that was that. ;)
You are soooo right everything that you are saying. I left A email to three emails addresses to them. I also Read reviews and they messed up in other things and screwed over others. I’ll do my best to get their attention on this. Thank you for your advice

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone on my cats either. They lick, but as long as it isn't continuous, it is cleansing and healing. Animals know instinctively how to heal themselves. If you think it would help, keep it on for a week or so and then let her go, The stress of the collar I think delays healing.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our vet says if they won't leave something alone to keep it covered. However, if it's causing too much stress not to worry.

When Magnus had his toe biopsy they wanted it on for 48 hours, but they know him and said, "If it falls off don't worry. Just don't let him keep at his toes." Sure enough, he had it off by the time they put him in the carrier BEFORE they handed him off to us 😅 I never even saw the thing.